Grocery Store/Target/Wal-Mart near FQ?

PattyW

We are traveling with an almost 2 year old on a cruise departing out of New Orleans.

Can anyone tell me where the nearest big grocery store/Target/Wal-Mart-like store is from the Marriott on Canal. We'd like to stock up on diapers, wipes, wet-ones, etc. while in New Orleans, rather than lugging them all from IL.

I'm somewhat familiar with the area (1995 Tulane grad), but have not been back since 1999 and am certain many, many things have changed. I'm looking for something larger than the FQ A&P.

I remember there used to be a Winn-Dixie on Tchopotoulis and a place called the Superstore across from Tipitina's on Napoleon & Tchopotoulis. Are these still there and is there anything closer?

There has been a grocery with changing names on Canal at Carollton. Not huge but bigger than the FQ choices. Think it was a Robert's last I noticed. They even delivered once upon a time and may still do.

It seems to still be there:

http://www.robertfreshmarket.com/

Forgot to add, you could take the Canal Street streetcar that certainly wasn't there in 1995 if you wanted.

Roberts (pronounced Roe-bears) on Annuciation is close, Also Roberts on Elysian Fields is close and is on the other side of the Quarter. There is also 2 Walgreens in the Quarter.

The Superstore on Tchoup & Napoleon is now a Sav-a-Center (a big A&P).

The New super Walmart on Tchoup is also close to downtown. About 2 miles from canal st.

We are traveling with an almost 2 year old on a cruise departing out of New Orleans.

Can anyone tell me where the nearest big grocery store/Target/Wal-Mart-like store is from the Marriott on Canal. We'd like to stock up on diapers, wipes, wet-ones, etc. while in New Orleans, rather than lugging them all from IL.

I'm somewhat familiar with the area (1995 Tulane grad), but have not been back since 1999 and am certain many, many things have changed. I'm looking for something larger than the FQ A&P.

I remember there used to be a Winn-Dixie on Tchopotoulis and a place called the Superstore across from Tipitina's on Napoleon & Tchopotoulis. Are these still there and is there anything closer?

:)

Hey there is a walmart that opened about a month and a half ago on Tchoupotoulas st. It is near the terminal about ten minutes away. I forgot what the name of the street is near walmart........it is a block away from Jackson Ave. and Tchoupotoulas. Great for shopping before a cruise.

Bon Voyage!

• 3 weeks later...
There has been a grocery with changing names on Canal at Carrollton. Not huge but bigger than the FQ choices. Think it was a Robert's last I noticed. They even delivered once upon a time and may still do.

It seems to still be there:

http://www.robertfreshmarket.com/

Forgot to add, you could take the Canal Street streetcar that certainly wasn't there in 1995 if you wanted.

There is still a Robert at Canal and Carrollton - just stay on the streecar that goes out to City Park, and it will go by a huge Sav-Center (A&P on steroids) and a similar sized Winn Dixie Marketplace.

Sav-A-Center

400 North Carrollton Ave.

New Orleans, LA 70119

Winn-Dixie Marketplace #1419

500 N. CARROLLTON AVE.

NEW ORLEANS, LA 70119

There is also another one at:

Winn-Dixie Marketplace #1409

1501 SAINT LOUIS ST.

NEW ORLEANS, LA 70112

if you happen to be in that area.

Archived