Questions about Krystal in Puerto Vallarta

dolphinwyo

Hello

I have been reserarching the Krystal resort as an option for our day in PV, as we have already been to PV twice for land vacations, and just want a beach/pool day.

Has anyone been there lately - heard there was construction and it was sold, what is the latest?

How do you pay for food/drinks there - USD, credit card, etc?

Are there hair braiders wandering near the beach area?

Thanks for any info!!

We were there last week. Yes they have a lot of construction going on and one of the buildings will house the new spa. Leornado is very excited about this enhancement to his spa.

With that said the construction never once bothered us. The resort is amazing. We walked right in with no problem. We had reservations for a couples massage (way past awesome on that account). Our friends went to the pool and enjoyed the pool while we had our massage. They ordered some cervezas and paid in cash. We were not required to pay for the usage of the resort, nor where our friends.

PS: Don't get me wrong, a day at the Krystal in PV is better than a day at home cleaning. It's just not as nice as it was years ago. That's all I'm saying. They don't charge you anymore to come spend the day there either. Also, the vendors will stand by the edge of the pool and harass you, so stay away from the edge of the pool by the ocean.

Well, if it is a free beach/pool day then I can't complain. We were wondering about the swim-up bar running a tab, will hopefully spend the day in the pool. We will be buying some drinks, snacks. My DD would like to get hair braided - so I would imagine that one of the vendors in the beach area would be hair braiding? We have stayed at the Fiesta Americana and the Sheraton before, the kids enjoy swimming - so maybe we will just put up with the construction noise and enjoy the day.

Tons of construction going on and you can't walk there the way you used to, you have to go out to the main street. I personally think the Krystal is looking run down and is not that nice of a place anymore. Yes, been there very recently.

We were there last week and we walked down the same cobblestone street we did 2 years ago when we went. They let us right in. We skipped the pool this time, but went to the bar area and had a great buffet lunch! You do have to walk by the construction site, but it's not a problem.

Well, if it is a free beach/pool day then I can't complain. We were wondering about the swim-up bar running a tab, will hopefully spend the day in the pool. We will be buying some drinks, snacks. My DD would like to get hair braided - so I would imagine that one of the vendors in the beach area would be hair braiding? We have stayed at the Fiesta Americana and the Sheraton before, the kids enjoy swimming - so maybe we will just put up with the construction noise and enjoy the day.

We did not notice the noise at all from where we were. It's still a beautiful pool and beach.

Be careful of the hair braiders. I've heard of several different people getting head lice because they don't clean their brushes or combs. Take your own brush and have them use it instead of theirs. I can't think of anything worse that getting lice while on a cruise.:(

• 1 month later...

I will be in Puerto Vallara next week while on a cruise - the Sapphire Princess. Has anyone been to this resort lately? I ask as I emailed to get info about visiting the resort while on a cruise and was told there was a $25pp day pass fee refundable for food and drinks.

I don't think we will want to spend that much money or time there. When I replied that banter on these Cruise Critic message boards indicated there was no charge, I got a not so nice reply back from the management telling me the people here were wrong.

Now what?

Years ago when when we used to spend the day at Krystal Vallarta it was free. And like you said, not as run down. Then last year we went and some woman was charging us at the gate. My SIL talked her down and now I wish I hadn't been so quick to pay. It included some vouchers for food. But all I really wanted to do is lay by the pool and order what I want. But, now you said they don't charge now? I hope that's true for April! We enjoy laying out there and wading in the pool.

PS: Don't get me wrong, a day at the Krystal in PV is better than a day at home cleaning. It's just not as nice as it was years ago. That's all I'm saying. They don't charge you anymore to come spend the day there either. Also, the vendors will stand by the edge of the pool and harass you, so stay away from the edge of the pool by the ocean.

Some woman charged us in 2007. First time I had to pay. I can't remember if it was $10 or $20 a person. No way would I pay $25 each! I wish I hadn't given her as much as I did. My sister in law was able to get her family in for less. Now I'm not so sure we'll go this year if they're going to take chunks of our money. Rip-off. It's not like most of us don't buy drinks and snacks once we're there, anyway. Sheesh. Why does this always happens when someone new takes over management? :rolleyes:

I will be in Puerto Vallara next week while on a cruise - the Sapphire Princess. Has anyone been to this resort lately? I ask as I emailed to get info about visiting the resort while on a cruise and was told there was a $25pp day pass fee refundable for food and drinks.

I don't think we will want to spend that much money or time there. When I replied that banter on these Cruise Critic message boards indicated there was no charge, I got a not so nice reply back from the management telling me the people here were wrong.

Now what?

Be careful of the hair braiders. I've heard of several different people getting head lice because they don't clean their brushes or combs. Take your own brush and have them use it instead of theirs. I can't think of anything worse that getting lice while on a cruise.:(

Even more important. Be aware for burnings on your head due to too much sun in places there were covered by hair before braiding...

We were there in November and got in without buying a day pass, but we went and ate at the buffet lunch by the pool and had a great lunch, so I guess you could say we paid!

I hate to waste my time in port arguing with staff here if the policy is now to charge people for a day pass. So, we may not go. If anyone else has more recent experience at the Krystal, I'd like to know!

Thanks for your kind reply.

We went there in 2005, 2007, and 2008 (nov) and we were not charged any of those times. We used the cruise ship entrance each time.

Could you please explain where the "cruise ship entrance" is and how to find it? With the cruise coming up in two days, I'd realy like to go to the Krystal, so any information would very much be appreciated.

Suzi

Could you please explain where the "cruise ship entrance" is and how to find it? With the cruise coming up in two days, I'd realy like to go to the Krystal, so any information would very much be appreciated.

Suzi

Reference this map - http://www.vallarta-info.com/hotelzone.html

The Krystal is a large property. The "front entrance" faces MEDINA ASCENCIO on the east and extends all the way west to the beach.

The "L" shaped "side street" running along the back side of Crown Paradise/Suntera Vallarta Torre ends and turns east at the northern edge of Krystal Resort property. There is a "side entrance" where the side street ends and turns east. Although I have never seen anybody else refer to it as the "cruise ship entrance", you can assume this is the entrance that pppiglet is refering to. The pool area will be ahead of you and off to the right toward the beach.

Enjoy!

I hate to waste my time in port arguing with staff here if the policy is now to charge people for a day pass. So, we may not go. If anyone else has more recent experience at the Krystal, I'd like to know!

Thanks for your kind reply.

Here is an email that I sent on December 3, 2008:

Hi. We are taking a cruise next April and were hoping to find a hotel that we could spend the day and use the pool. Do you allow such a thing? Of course, we would eat on the property as well. Please let me know. Thanks.

Reply:

Yes, no problem-

My response:

Thank you. Is there a charge for doing that?

Reply:

25 usd minimum consumption in our restaurant and bars

:confused: I wasn't even thinking it was $25 pp. I just thought that they wanted you to spend $25 while you were there. I sent them another email (below) asking if that was per person. I will let you know if I hear back from them before you leave.

My response (today):

Thank you. Is that $25USD per person? I am travelling with 3 others in my family.

Here is an email that I sent on December 3, 2008:

Hi. We are taking a cruise next April and were hoping to find a hotel that we could spend the day and use the pool. Do you allow such a thing? Of course, we would eat on the property as well. Please let me know. Thanks.

Reply:

Yes, no problem-

My response:

Thank you. Is there a charge for doing that?

Reply:

25 usd minimum consumption in our restaurant and bars

:confused: I wasn't even thinking it was $25 pp. I just thought that they wanted you to spend $25 while you were there. I sent them another email (below) asking if that was per person. I will let you know if I hear back from them before you leave.

My response (today):

Thank you. Is that $25USD per person? I am travelling with 3 others in my family.

That's exactly what the email I received said also. That's why I was asking for clarification. By the way, I was told this was a per person charge.

Suzi

Reference this map - http://www.vallarta-info.com/hotelzone.html

The Krystal is a large property. The "front entrance" faces MEDINA ASCENCIO on the east and extends all the way west to the beach.

The "L" shaped "side street" running along the back side of Crown Paradise/Suntera Vallarta Torre ends and turns east at the northern edge of Krystal Resort property. There is a "side entrance" where the side street ends and turns east. Although I have never seen anybody else refer to it as the "cruise ship entrance", you can assume this is the entrance that pppiglet is refering to. The pool area will be ahead of you and off to the right toward the beach.

Enjoy!

Very good description and map. It actually has a sign that says "Cruise ship guests welcome!" at this side entrance.

Archived