Help: Assigned a (non-requested) handicap cabin on Noordam Nov 27-Dec 17!

CoolChile

I booked an SY guar on my Nov. 27-Dec 17 B2B Noordam sailing and see I've been assigned an SY bump-out handicap cabin. I sure hope no one is denied a cabin like this when they are assigning them to people like me who don't need or want them.

Here are my qx'ns:

1. Will this cabin have a tub like all the others in this category or just a wheel chair accessible shower? (I've been in an SS before and loved it.)

2. As I booked a guarantee, what do you think my chances are for getting into a NON-handicap cabin. (I'm not looking to sqeak in an upgrade here.)

And yes, I will talk to my TA but I wanted your thoughts first.

Let me assure you that your assignment, at this stage, has not deprived any handicapped person from taking this cruise. The cabin was assigned much too close to cruise date for that to be a concern.

As far as changing your cabin now---you can always try, but don't be surprised if the answer is "no". When you book a guarantee, you take what you get.

Since you did not specify which no. cabin you have been assigned, it is difficult to tell whether it has a tub or not. Most accessible cabins have only a shower with a fold-down seat so that a person can wheel his chair in and sit down to shower. The shower head is at the end of a flexible type hose so that it can be easily moved around. There are also grab bars in the shower and alongside the toilet. The vanity is raised a little to permit a wheelchair to fit under. The bathroom is large enough to permit a wheelchair to be easily moved in and out. There is no lip between the cabin and the bathroom.

If you have your actual cabin number, check it against the deck plans. You should find it marked with the universal handicapped sign and there should be a notation that the cabin is equipped with shower only, if that indeed is the case:)

Archived