Port for Dunedin?

RoupMom

Does anyone know where the ships are docking for Dunedin these days? Port Chalmers or Dunedin itself? The Port web page says they have services both places, but I can't find cruise ship info for that stop. DH and I are scheduled for a 1/2 day tour there, and I want to be able to roam Dunedin for the remaining time there, but Port Chalmers seems far away. Any transport between the two? I'm sure there are cabs, but anything else?

Thanks in advance

Does anyone know where the ships are docking for Dunedin these days? Port Chalmers or Dunedin itself? The Port web page says they have services both places, but I can't find cruise ship info for that stop. DH and I are scheduled for a 1/2 day tour there, and I want to be able to roam Dunedin for the remaining time there, but Port Chalmers seems far away. Any transport between the two? I'm sure there are cabs, but anything else?

Thanks in advance

We were there this time last year and docked in Port Chalmers. Yes it is a bit removed from Dunedin itself but there was a shuttle and taxis available.

:)The ships come into Port Chalmers which is about 25 minutes out of Dunedin there is a local bus that runs from down near the wharf and a bus stop further up into the town, the local bus picks up in Dunedin out the front of Countdown. I believe it runs about every 35 minutes.

If you are planning an early excursion to town the public bus doesn't run run that often on Saturdays.

And if you plan on getting the local bus back to the port from Dunedin later in the day (ie after school and into commuter going home time), you run the risk of being refused entry, as we were ... the bus driver obviously is keen to ensure that the locals/regulars still get home when the tourists come to town.

Cheers

Bob

Archived