First cruise tomorrow - final questions

OhPinchy

We're on the NCL Pearl sailing from Miami tomorrow. Thanks to the great advice on this site we have most things covered, but there's a couple of final things I'd like to confirm:

-what time should we arrive at the port? We are from Ireland and are currently in Orlando on vacation and will be driving to Miami tomorrow and dropping the Dollar rental car off at the airport. They give free shuttles from the airport to the port. What time should we plan to reach the aiport by? I've read on here being at the port early is worthwhile as you can have your lunch on the restaurant upstairs on the boat.

-Can we definitely bring on bottled water and soda with no charge? Should I pack this in my suitcase or bring it in a separate plastic bag and just show it to them? Do they just glance at it or do you feel like it's a real inspection? I don't like the idea of standing there being scrutinized, so if it's a vigorous process I just might not bother.

-photos: are they only for formal nights? We didn't bring formal gear but will be dressing up on a couple of nights and would probably be interested in a well done photo. Is there any advantage to waiting to the last day or will it just be the same price to buy it when we see it?

Thanks!

We're on the NCL Pearl sailing from Miami tomorrow. Thanks to the great advice on this site we have most things covered, but there's a couple of final things I'd like to confirm:

-what time should we arrive at the port? We are from Ireland and are currently in Orlando on vacation and will be driving to Miami tomorrow and dropping the Dollar rental car off at the airport. They give free shuttles from the airport to the port. What time should we plan to reach the aiport by? I've read on here being at the port early is worthwhile as you can have your lunch on the restaurant upstairs on the boat.

-Can we definitely bring on bottled water and soda with no charge? Should I pack this in my suitcase or bring it in a separate plastic bag and just show it to them? Do they just glance at it or do you feel like it's a real inspection? I don't like the idea of standing there being scrutinized, so if it's a vigorous process I just might not bother.

-photos: are they only for formal nights? We didn't bring formal gear but will be dressing up on a couple of nights and would probably be interested in a well done photo. Is there any advantage to waiting to the last day or will it just be the same price to buy it when we see it?

Thanks!

If it were me...

I'd try to get to the port at around 10:30-11am. That would mean hitting the airport between 9:30-10am. Since it is your first cruise, you won't get any special line privleges (unless you are a suite passenger), so getting there early gets you a good spot in line.

Bottled water and soda is not a problem...of course you should just bring a reasonable amount...don't show up with 20 cases ;)

Photos are not for just "formal" nights (being that they won't have a formal night anyway...unless you want to). As far as the pricing...they don't change it. It is the same when they take the picture as it is on the last day.

Piece of advice...if you haven't already....check out the roll call and try to make the Meet & Greet for CC members...you'll be glad you did!

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks!

We usually arrive around 11:00 to 11:30 which gets us on the ship by noonish. That gives us time to explore the ship, eat, maybe unpack, etc before the life boat drill. We even have time to grab a drink or two. It makes us feel like we have an extra day on the ship....

Bring your soda and water on with you. No one will scrutinize you, they will see what you have and say nothing. I don't think I would bring on much water, we usually bring a couple of bottles just to have them to take ashore. The water on the ship is very good, we just re-fill out bottles through out the week.

You can arrange to have a professional picture taken anytime but usually people do it on the formal optional nights even if you are not dressing in formal attire. Sometimes you can get better deals on the pics that last morning but remember, with everyone trying to get off the ship and all the hustle bustle is it worth waiting? Only you can judge that..

Nita

Thanks!

dupe, between my lack of patience and this slow response, I will probably dupe the entire day. LOL

Pretty much what the others said. If you want to reduce your time waiting for them to start boarding, and not hit the road so early, you can get there an hour or so later. No problems with that either.

Have a nice drive down through Florida.

I echo Jamrenjer have a wonderful trip, we will be looking forward to your review when you return.

Just an add on about the pictures, I do believe the offer a deal on the last night but cant remember what it was. I only remember making a mental note after our last cruise to get pictures on the last night if we were going to buy them.

Congratulations on your first cruise. You'll love this ship. Head to the dining room for lunch and not the buffet. The place will be half empty and the service will be great. There is always chaos at the buffet on the first day.

My favorite spot on this ship is the Great Outdoors--located on the top deck behind the buffet. In addition to an outdoor buffet area, there is a fantastic outdoor bar that has sunshine and shade areas. It is my favorite spot in the afternoon for quiet reading and a great spot for a cocktail under the stars.

By the way, what part of Ireland do you come from? My grandmother was from Valentia, which is a small island near Cahircaveen (or something like that) on the Ring of Kerry I think. I'd love to go back and show my family where they came from. I took my Mom there in the 1980's.

Archived