The Last Dinner On The QE2

Colin_Cameron

Having seen various versions of 'The Last Dinner On The Titanic' over the years we had the idea for a dinner party in a couple of weeks time on the theme, 'The Last Dinner On The QE2'.

We've kept enough invitations over the years to be able to reproduce authentic looking invitations: "The Captain requests the pleasure of your company, etc." I have a source on board to get a copy of the menu itself (if he remembers:D).

Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions?

Regards, Colin.

2 words

BAKED ALASKA !!!

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

2 quarts vanilla ice cream, softened

1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix

1 egg

1/2 teaspoon almond extract

8 egg whites

1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar

1/8 teaspoon salt

1 cup white sugar

Add to Recipe Box

My folders:

Add to Shopping List

Add a Personal Note

DIRECTIONS

Line the bottom and sides of an 8-inch round mixing bowl or deep 8-inch square container with foil. Spread ice cream in container, packing firmly. Cover and freeze 8 hours or until firm.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 8x8 inch pan.

Prepare cake mix with egg and almond extract. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake in preheated oven according to package instructions, until center of cake springs back when lightly touched.

Beat egg whites with cream of tartar, salt and sugar until stiff peaks form.

Line a baking sheet with parchment or heavy brown paper. Place cake in center. Turn molded ice cream out onto cake. Quickly and prettily spread meringue over cake and ice cream, all the way to paper to seal. Return to freezer 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).

Bake the Alaska on the lowest shelf, 8 to 10 minutes, or until meringue is lightly browned. Serve at once.

Having seen various versions of 'The Last Dinner On The Titanic' over the years we had the idea for a dinner party in a couple of weeks time on the theme, 'The Last Dinner On The QE2'.

We've kept enough invitations over the years to be able to reproduce authentic looking invitations: "The Captain requests the pleasure of your company, etc." I have a source on board to get a copy of the menu itself (if he remembers:D).

Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions?

Regards, Colin.

Great idea - Suggest that men wear proper Black Tie kit, women wear formal evening dress - (a la QE2 Brochures), or dress all in black, sing all the sailaway songs, take lots of photos including one of the real Menu and then post on Flickr!

Enjoy the evening!

2 words

BAKED ALASKA !!!

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

2 quarts vanilla ice cream, softened

1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix

1 egg

1/2 teaspoon almond extract

8 egg whites

1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar

1/8 teaspoon salt

1 cup white sugar

Add to Recipe Box

My folders:

Add to Shopping List

Add a Personal Note

DIRECTIONS

Line the bottom and sides of an 8-inch round mixing bowl or deep 8-inch square container with foil. Spread ice cream in container, packing firmly. Cover and freeze 8 hours or until firm.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 8x8 inch pan.

Prepare cake mix with egg and almond extract. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake in preheated oven according to package instructions, until center of cake springs back when lightly touched.

Beat egg whites with cream of tartar, salt and sugar until stiff peaks form.

Line a baking sheet with parchment or heavy brown paper. Place cake in center. Turn molded ice cream out onto cake. Quickly and prettily spread meringue over cake and ice cream, all the way to paper to seal. Return to freezer 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).

Bake the Alaska on the lowest shelf, 8 to 10 minutes, or until meringue is lightly browned. Serve at once.

OMG! The baked alaska with flambeed morello cherries in the grills on QM2 & QVis the best in the world & I don't even like deserts!!

The Baked Alaska in Queens Grill on QE2 is also very good although the Cherries Jubilee is even better!

Steak Diane flambeed tableside is also a great dish & one I'd have if I was on the last dinner on the QE2.

Kind Regards,

Richard

l dragged my 4 bottles (dont ask) off when l disembarked on the 22nd Oct, as if l didnt have enough to carry,made sure nothing was left behind but l cursed them all the way home:confused:. Opened the cases and they were still intact and now they rest among my collection of 18 bottles of other Cunard booze:)

l dragged my 4 bottles (dont ask) off when l disembarked on the 22nd Oct, as if l didnt have enough to carry,made sure nothing was left behind but l cursed them all the way home:confused:. Opened the cases and they were still intact and now they rest among my collection of 18 bottles of other Cunard booze:)

You mean you haven't drunk them yet!! ;)

How are you doing Myles, seems an age since New York hm!

Jackie :)

Hi Myles

You did well 4 bottles of PA.

I did not do so bad on my Fjords cruise in June only 7 nights & I had 4 bottles of Perrier Jouet in my cabin 3 from cunard & one from a very good friend! You!

My parents did not fare too badly either with 2 bottles of PJ their first cruise with Cunard & not their last!

very best wishes,

Richard

I chose things for my last dinner on RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 that were essentially Cunard. I started with Caviar, moved on to the wonderful tomato soup, then had the Scallops with Palma ham and Spiced Pork Belly and finished with Crepes Suzettes.

Commodore, may I ask where you ate your last meal on the QE2?

Well l am guessing it would not have been in the grills dear, as they serve Crepes Suzette, not Suzettes. :)

PEDANT ALERT!!!

And, while we're on the subject, shouldn't it be parma ham?

J

PS - don't know why, but I still thing it's QG though.

Well l am guessing it would not have been in the grills dear, as they serve Crepes Suzette, not Suzettes. :)

Not in the Commodore's case. He has so many, they have them specially created with an 's' on the end.

Chill, Nalcolnxxx

Not in the Commodore's case. He has so many, they have them specially created with an 's' on the end.

Chill, Nalcolnxxx

Yes - I have it on the best of authority that the Commodore is indeed a dab hand with the old yaffling spanners.

My contacts say that he doesn't eat till he's full, he eats till he's tired. :eek:

J

Archived