Huston to Galveston

Kathie44

How do most cruisers get from the Huston airport(IAH) to the port in Galveston? We are probably going to book the Celebrity shuttle, since the car rental companies don't have drop-off at the port. At least the big 3 don't. I haven't checked the others yet.

On Wed.night I was checking airfares online and found a direct flight to Huston from Dayton on Continental for $233.70, which I thought was not too bad, but it got to be after midnight so I decided to book later when I was more awake. Today, to my dismay I found that the price had gone up $100. So I called the airline to see if they would run the special sometime later and the person I talked to checked her computer and said she still showed the lower price, so I booked with her right away. It's so hard to find direct flights anymore, I was thrilled to get this. AirTran goes through Atlanta (UGH!)and American goes through Dallas, which at least is the right direction, but non-stop is much better.

Scheduling conflicts make it impossible to fly in a day early and this flight gets us to Huston at 8:13 AM. So I figure even with inevitable delays we should not have a problem getting to the ship in plenty of time.

Does anyone have a better suggestion for ground transpo, other than the cruiseline shuttle? We like not having to mess with the luggage. The price is $62, a bit more than the $44 from the Miami airport to the ship port, but the distance is a lot more, too. Just wondering.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=98282

You can take a private taxi, a shuttle service, or the ship's shuttle. Enterprise also lets you take their cars to the post, but they do keep you waiting to get their cars.

Plenty of alternatives there. Also, go to your cruise line's board, and ask for the Texans on that board to give you their latest advice.

• 2 weeks later...

We used a wonderful shuttle services of Mr. L. J. Cormier in Houston, Texas. Mr. Cormier is the operator of Texas Cruise Ship Shuttles, and will personally drive your family or group to your ship or airport as he did with us. He can be reached in Houston at 281 443 4430.

He was recommended to us by friends from Edmondton, Alberta who had used his services on their trip to Texas for a cruise. When we started planning our cruise they told us he was a must. And we now agree, he is.

We are six Canadians that cruised out of Galveston, Texas a few months ago and had a wonderful time. We are now planning another cruise out of Galveston in the spring, we haven't made up our mines yet on which ship. But we do know will driving us there.

You can read my review of of the "Rhapsody of the Seas" and Galveston, Texas. Just below:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=3968

• 1 month later...

We were checking out prices too and found that for the three of us, Enterprise is the most economical. Celebrity wanted like $75 per person which we found to be ridiculous. We too will have to deal with luggage, but they are on wheels, so it can't be that bad! We are flying in the day before and even with the hotel and rental car it is cheaper than the transfers with the cruise lines.

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from the Galaxy out of Galveston. We used 24 karet limo service. It was $310 for round trip (it is 1 1/2 hour trip). With 4 people in the limo, it was only $77/person. It was a stretch limo. They met us right at the baggage claim, took care of all of the luggage. Stopped at a fast food place on the way, as we had not had any food on the plane. Then were waiting at the cruise terminal for the return trip. If you have 4-6 people or more, this is very economical, and luxurious!

I can recommend Extreme Elligance limousine.

http://www.galveston.com/extremeelegance/

We have used them from our home which is about the same distance as IAH from the pier. We were very satisfied with their vehicle and driver.

yst

This is good to hear. I am using them this weekend to get from a Galleria area hotel to the port, . . . then when we return to go from the port to the airport.

Looked at Enterprise, . . . but they only offered us a 'special' $70/day rate for the one way rental (plus gas, taxes, etc.). For 2 of us, . . . made sense to go with Extreme for ~$90. (plus tip - total - not per person) and let someone else drive us.

Celebrity transfers were $39 each way if I remember right. If we were coming in and going out on the same dates as the cruise, likely would have used their bus transfers, . . . but for a little extra, a private car and driver is a very good option.

I work on the island. If you can fly into Hobby, it's only 35 min to the port vs 1 1/2 hours from Bush. http://www.galvestonlimousineservice.com/ This links a shuttle service that serves both airports, and is fairly reasonable. Either way, allow plenty of time to get there as Houston traffic, like any huge city, can present a real problem. If you come in a day early, enjoy visiting the island, there is a lot to see and do, good hotels and restaurants and attractions.

• 9 months later...
I work on the island. If you can fly into Hobby, it's only 35 min to the port vs 1 1/2 hours from Bush. http://www.galvestonlimousineservice.com/ This links a shuttle service that serves both airports, and is fairly reasonable. Either way, allow plenty of time to get there as Houston traffic, like any huge city, can present a real problem. If you come in a day early, enjoy visiting the island, there is a lot to see and do, good hotels and restaurants and attractions.

We are going a day early to galveston on a February Sunday. We sail 6pm on the Galaxy on Monday. We are thinking of doing the space centre on the Monday is this a foolish idea.

• 1 month later...

WE PAID $87.50 FOR THEM TO PICK US UP FROM THE SHIP (Houston/NCL Sun) AND TAKE US BACK TO DOUBLETREE HOTEL DOWNTOWN. THAT INCLUDED TIP.

That was in a stretch with guy meeting us as we walked out of luggage area. we called him on our cell when we started down to get our luggage. One way of couse. Same price or very near for the one way to Barbours Cut Terminal for NCL.

Not sure what their prices would be for Galveston trip, but they were sure nice and prompt!

WE PAID $87.50 FOR THEM TO PICK US UP FROM THE SHIP (Houston/NCL Sun) AND TAKE US BACK TO DOUBLETREE HOTEL DOWNTOWN. THAT INCLUDED TIP.

That was in a stretch with guy meeting us as we walked out of luggage area. we called him on our cell when we started down to get our luggage. One way of couse. Same price or very near for the one way to Barbours Cut Terminal for NCL.

Not sure what their prices would be for Galveston trip, but they were sure nice and prompt!

Archived