Low Carb on Cruise... is it possible?

All of you have the conversation topic at our house -- HOW (and WHAT) do we do on our upcoming cruise? BTW, Bridalmaven, I am 25 lbs from my goal, not 30, as I thought. (hey, as we know it ALL adds up to being where we want (and need) to be. SO and I are thinking about doing the "shipshape" program -- where we walk so much aboard, etc. We will order from the sugar-free desserts (where possible) but I don't foresee great compliance. icon_wink.gif

Note to all: Of course, there is Dr. Atkins "Endulge" ice cream (20/20 program recently stated that in their survey of "low carb" Atkins was the most reliable count (exception: ? Atkins cereal) --

I have found a wonderful bread (very pricey, though!) very small slices -- only 3 net grams of carbos -- (and I do believe it) -- also organic, which I'm "kind of" doing as well. It is called: "Food for Life Low Carbohydrate Bread" (Organic). Tastes good ...

Bookit

Thanks to the poster who mentioned that the S-F desserts are not necessarily low in carbs. We will keep that in mind. We will bring some Dr. Atkins bars to eat on excursions, if we don't have something suitable .... we always take plenty of water. I have found that by having Evian (or bottled water) always available in the cabin -- it is my reminder to drink the water. As far as $$, I don't think I drink as much alcohol -- love those 'Love Connections" --definitely NOT low carb. icon_razz.gif

Bookit

Sweet potatoes have a very low GI.

Cathy

NCL-Starward 1982

NCL-Seaward 1986

NCL-Norway 1992

Carnival-Celebration 1996

Carnival-Jubilee 2001

RCI-Rhapsody 1999

RCI-Rhapsody- 2003

Grand Princess or Rhapsody ?

netdiver.gif

Peggy, thanks. Tomorrow is a tough one, his birthday, but I think after that we will be alright. My sis even has a big BBQ planned. You know the one you and your friends and family never got around to type? Well this will be a celebration of life and the wonderful people we have in our lives type party. So with 19 acres in PA we are inviting the world. It is a BYO (tent even), so if any of my pals are in the PA area on Aug 14, come join us, email me. The wonderful responses of love and caring has made it easier.

Yes, I forgot about the beef jerky, a wonderful little snack!It is so strange now, how my delights do not center around sugar. I just had a lovely snack of mozzerella/proscuitto roll. And we ate a great salad at Subway, spinach leaves and lots a great stuff, it was so filling!

Bookit, that is about how much I want to go now.But my DH said if I should stop now it would be fine, because my size 16's are starting to get loose. I have not worn this size in a looooooong time. But I want to not just look ok in a bathing suit, but GREAT! icon_biggrin.gif

barbara02.gif

My vacation pics

http://community.webshots.com/user/abridalmaven

Norwegian Dawn May 23

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;5;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Bookit:

Make sure you understand that LOW SUGAR does not mean LOW CARB. The reduced fat and reduced sugar foods are actually very high in carbs. That was one of the things my DH and I found out on our grocery store "tour".

The low sugar desserts on the cruises will help with calories, though, but not carbs.

It's really funny how I don't miss this stuff I've taken out of my diet. My DH used to refer to me as "Mrs. Potatohead", because I looooooved potatoes. I really don't miss them.

Peggy - RCI since 1973

I have a correction of the carb bread I mentioned here -- it is "4 carbs per slice", not 3 net grams carb (as I recalled). However, even though the slices are small and thin -- sometimes it help to have the texture for such a low count.

Pcur -- yes, I do need to start checking more carefully. I was a Dr. Atkins "devotee" in the early 80's. Through various "life transitions" -- I would ignore carbs -- and gain weight again. I think that is true of almost any kind of diet. Good to be aware everytime you eat.

Due to food allergies (mostly cottonseed oil) I always read labels, but was not aware of carbs until this last year, what an eye opener icon_eek.gif. I also avoid soy now (which is even harder than avoiding cottonseed oil) because it depresses thyroid function which becomes and issue for women as they get older.

That and the sugar alcohols were causing my stall. Malitol spikes insulin more than they thought, so if it is in some products, you can only subtract half. Plus it wipes out good bacteria in your intestine. On the PP discussion board, I have found many helpful articles about issues like these.

Peggy, the low sugar desserts are higher carb because they still use white flour and other starches. But things like sugar free mousse and sf jellos are not as bad. Even the sugar free ice creams are not as bad. At home if I eat sf ice cream, Breyers carb options is also not bad and the Lecarb Ice creams. But again I go with more things sweetened with splenda (and now there is liquid splenda, no carbs), less issues all around. I make a great LC refridge cheesecake! icon_biggrin.gif

barbara02.gif

My vacation pics

http://community.webshots.com/user/abridalmaven

Norwegian Dawn May 23

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;5;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I've done atkins for 18 months and gone on 9 cruises in that time. I've lost 30 lbs.

At first I stayed on the diet on cruises because it was so easy.

Smoked salmon and cream cheese for breakfast, lobster, steak for dinner...

I ate a lot and lost weight one cruise because due to taking the stairs everywhere.

Then I started going off the diet one or more days of the cruise. Only with things I reaaly miss, like mashed potatoes.

I take very small portions of carb foods and desserts.

I may try every dessert.

I allow myself to get more if I want and I never do.

I may gain 2lbs a day every day I'm not doing atkins but what I really like about this diet is when I come home and go on induction, I lose 2 lbs a day without starving myself.

and in a week max I'm back at my pre-cruise weight.I would definitely be looking forward to going on your cruise and enjoying low carb choices : )

#14 Monarch of the Seas 5-21-04

CONGRATS ON LOSING THE WEIGHT!!!

I thought this post was going to be about another delusional toothpick icon_rolleyes.gif complainging about looking fat and not wanting to gain weight!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;3;6;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Navigator of the Seas/Western Caribbean 03/06

I can attest to abridalmaven's soy/low thyroid dysfunction link. I am only 35 years old and not over the top overweight. I'm 5'8" and was 147 lbs. before going low carb. I had just had 2 children and after finishing the breastfeeding stage, found the weight to be piling on. I had never been that high before, but began low carb eating last september.

Right before my cruise in january, I had actually gotten down to 128, my ideal weight! I hadn't been this skinny since high school! But, in december, I tested low thyroid and am now on thyroid hormones. My Mom had this problem, so I figured it was heredity only. But, I too recently read about the thyroid dysfunction link to soy products and am trying to cut back soy products. I don't know if my thyroid problem is heredity only or due to a few short months of low carb, but it sure makes one think!

On my cruise, I brought those lovely Russell Stover low carb candies to help stave off sweet cravings. I also brought beef jerky for the plane trip and island days if we didn't have time to stop and eat. As for liquor,although I did have some fufu drinks, I brought 2 bottles of crown royal (which hard liquor is much lower in carbs than the fruit juicy drinks), and I brought a case of caffeine free diet pepsi to make mixed drinks in my room. It kept me from drinking too many of the bad drinks!

Good Luck & have fun!

Carnival Festivale 8/95

RCI Navigator of the Seas 1/24/04--SEE MY REVIEW AT http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=408097554&m=7683004077

RCI Brilliance of the Seas 1/14/05

WE CAN'T WAIT TIL WE SAIL AGAIN!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;1;14;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

love those Russell stover candies,

especially the large box of assorted sweets.

trader joe's market has great "carb safe" candy, a box of belgium chocolates that I frankly cannot tell the difference.

of course I don't overdo on low carb candy because of the, well, side effect..

cost plus, an import store, has some good low carb candy, taffy, licorice, chocolate..

#14 Monarch of the Seas 5-21-04

my biggest complaint:

why must they use maltitol in ALL these sf/lc foods now? It makes me so sick (and yet I still eat it). But the side effects are awful!

Navigator of the Seas 5/1/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;1;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I also found a chocolate bar called z-carb that has no malitol. It uses inulin, which is supposed to be healthy. Here is the link to the info and catalog. I have purchased them at walmart, though.

http://www.zcarbbar.com/

http://www.zcarbbar.com/catalog/

Carnival Festivale 8/95

RCI Navigator of the Seas 1/24/04--SEE MY REVIEW AT http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=408097554&m=7683004077

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;1;14;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Oh my goodness!! Just as I posted my previous email, I went back to the main page and saw the article that Carnival is adding low carb items to their menu! That is wonderful. I will be excited to see CruiseCritic's newsltr next week telling us what cruiselines have something like this in the works! What great news!

Carnival Festivale 8/95

Yes, it will be very interesting to see what low carb menues the cruise lines come up with, since the restaurants "low carb" menues are the regular food with the bread and potatoes eliminated! My guess is they'll serve the same entrees and up the veggies.

When we eat breakfast out we get omelettes and substitute the potatoes with fresh fruit, and share a slice of dry toast with a little jelly of our choice. We get the omelettes with lots of veggies and chopped ham in them.

Peggy - RCI since 1973

Yes, it will be very interesting to see what low carb menus the cruise lines come up with, since the restaurants "low carb" menus are the regular food with the bread and potatoes eliminated! My guess is they'll serve the same entrees and up the veggies.

When we eat breakfast out we get omelettes and substitute the potatoes with fresh fruit, and share a slice of dry toast with a little jelly of our choice. We get the omelettes with lots of veggies and chopped ham in them.

Peggy - RCI since 1973

I lost 85 pounds doing Atkins the 14 months or so beofore my cruise in March. Druring the cruise I got off a bit, but I didn't sweat it too bad. My DH and I shared desserts alot just to try them. We were very active on the ship and on our excoursions. I did however gain 4 pounds still trying to get it back off but that's another story. I guess I wanted to say, you paid alot of money for your cruise, do what you can, have a good time, there are going to be a lot of good choices you can make. If your are easily tempeted stay away from the midnight buffets and don't order desserts. Above all HAVE FUN!

Rhapsody of the Seas 3/04

Great News! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I just got my first issue of Low Carb Energy magazine, and all I can say is WOW! There are more tips and sources of new foods and information on Low carbing I have ever seen; and it also has the NEW food pyramid. And since there are new manufacturers of LC foods, there are samples you can send for, instead of buying hating, and wasting your money on. You all know what I mean about trial and error on the nutritional bars. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]Here is the link to their website, which is also loaded with recipes and info
[url="http://sheknows.com/lowcarb/"]Low carb energy[/url]
[img]http://www.fortunecity.com/victorian/stone/27/names/b/barbara02.gif[/img]
My vacation pics
[url="http://community.webshots.com/user/abridalmaven"]http://community.webshots.com/user/abridalmaven[/url]
Norwegian Dawn May 23
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;5;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Thing is, I love the food choices they offer on a cruise, because there's a lot of freedom to eat a lot of the stuff I want, and then I can have the desserts in small portions, too!

I don't find it a problem, but then I love low carb foods, anyway. If I had my choice, I'd go for fish, chicken, fresh fruit and veggies before other foods, anyway. Then I'd add the desserts after that..... [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for the tips, BridalM

Peggy - RCI since 1973

• 2 months later...
I have been on the low carb for five years and have lost 90 pounds going from a size 22 to a 10 or 12 depending on what it is I am buying to wear. I am glad to see there are lots of people on the low carb craze. I just bought a book called Low carb for dummies which really helps when you have been on it for so many years and are starting to get bored with it. I never knew there were so many foods you could eat that were actually low carb or the carbs were free carbs like fruit. We will be cruising in August for our 25th anniversary and hope to have a good time going Lo carb, my husband has even got into the low carb thing a little. We went on Sovreign of the seas in June of 2002 and now we will be on Rhapsody in August 2004.

Happy sailing the low carb way!

Jackie and Dale

• 1 month later...
So, has anyone experienced any of the new Lo carb entrees? Does the Brilliance have anything on its menu for dinner? Any lo carb desserts? We will be on her in Jan, and I would sure like to not gain 7 lbs like I did on my last cruise!:p

Was wondering if any one out there is Somersizing? We are planning a cruise for next year and was also thinking about how to incorporate the program into the cruise. Somersizing isn't low carb. Basically, it's food combining....proteins with fats and veggies, carbs with veggies but no fat at all. No white flour or sugar of any kind. Looking forward to hearing your replies!

Archived