Economy vs Premium Economy LAX-SYD

jswrpw83

Hi,

I've never flown on such a long flight as LAX to SYD. First, the cost of the flight was a shocker! But I'm dedicated to going and cruising with our friends from Oz. I'm wondering about the difference between flying economy and premium economy? I'd love to fly business, but it's way too much. Qantas is having a 2-for-1 sale, and the cost for three of us flying economy is under $4000 while premium economy is $7000.

Has anyone flown both and have an opinion on how much better premium economy might be? My back starts to hurt on an airplane within one hour!

Thanks for any help or hints!

I would much prefer Air New Zealand and have never flown this Qantas router in either version of economy.

I suggest you check out http://www.seatguru.com

The seats are ~1" wider and there is something like an additional 7 inches of leg room and a bit more tilt in the seats.

If it were me --in either class--I'd take some serious drugs as soon as the sheets left the ground.

I would much prefer Air New Zealand and have never flown this Qantas router in either version of economy.

I suggest you check out http://www.seatguru.com

The seats are ~1" wider and there is something like an additional 7 inches of leg room and a bit more tilt in the seats.

If it were me --in either class--I'd take some serious drugs as soon as the sheets left the ground.

Thanks for the tip. And the last hint goes without question!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Has anyone flown both and have an opinion on how much better premium economy might be?
If Qantas premium economy is $1,000 more per person round-trip, take that offer with both hands and do not let it go. You will not regret it.

Back in May, I unexpectedly had to prove that I could still do Sydney-London in economy without any problems. But that was because technical problems led to an aircraft substitution so that I had to be downgraded from premium economy to economy. Otherwise, my two London-Sydney-London trips this year have demonstrated to me that Qantas premium economy is a very good overall proposition. It is substantially better than British Airways' World Traveller Plus, which has now become my usual cabin of choice. And the only big disadvantage on Qantas (normal economy baggage allowance) does not really apply on the US-Australia routes.

I agree - bite the bullet and take the premium economy. I did just that for our last family group from LAX to Auckland/Sydney and even though it cost me quite a bit more (I was paying for 7 people) I think it was well worth it. We flew on Air New Zealand and economy was typical economy. The premium economy you had your own section, more room and little things like on the side of your seat you had a little cabinet to store things like your purse, book or shoes. It was wide enough for the 3 YO to lie down on .... and before anyone says anything, NO he had his own seat, he didn't sleep there. He actually slept on the floor under grandpa's feet :D. We had some of the perks of business class with a huge difference in price. In my case it was a life saver, cos while I was in Sydney I shattered 25% of my tailbone and I'd never have survived the flight back otherwise. I slept on the floor for most of the return trip too, well when I could sleep.

• 2 weeks later...

As others have mentioned, take a look at the NZ's PE price, their PE cabin is fantastic, the food is the same as served in the J cabin. You will have to transfer in AKL which is a negative.

Also it maybe worth looking at Virgin Australia to see what their prices are for your dates, they are starting service with only 3 x week which may rule them out. Here is their PE website link

Just as an FYI, if you do decide on flying Qantas out of LAX try to get an 388 flight, the cabin is at the rear of the top deck, it is set up in a 2-3-2 set up, avoid row 38 -39 seat D,E,F if you can.

I flew from San Fran to Melbourne on United. I booked their Economy plus section which gives an extra 5 inches of leg room. If you join their FF plan, you can buy the economy plus upgrade for $299 or $399. ( haven't checked lately). This upgrade is good for you and a companion on all United flights for one year.

We also used their pre booking seat plan. I found that if you book an aisle and a window in a 3 seat row, they will not fill that middle seat unless the plane is almost full. We flew from Buffalo to Melbourne and back, and never had anyone in the middle.

Paul

Archived