Down to 3 choices for my 1st cruise

dwing18

Are you traveling solo? I assumed that in my comments.

The quotes I got on Conquest out of Galveston were much more expensive. Unless you can make up the difference on the flight price, I'd pass, and look at the other two.

Both Triumph and Valor have great deals on solo cabins. Because Valor is 5 years newer, slightly higher rated (4.5 star instead of 4 star for Triumph) I'd probably book it. Other factors for me are Triumph's ports:

- I'm not fond of tender ports, where you have to transfer to tender boats to go ashore, instead of tying up at a pier and walking off. Grand Cayman is a tender port. (On the other hand, there are many great activities here, like swimming with stingrays.)

- as a single female, Ocho Rios isn't ideal for exploring on foot. I'd likely have to take a more expensive ship's tour (unless I met others on my roll call here at CC to book a group privately). Because you're male, YMMV.

- as amazing as Cozumel is, I've been there several times.

Before booking, please take a look at what all the ports have to offer by peeking at these CC pages:

Valor's Eastern Caribbean - http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/area.cfm?area=8

Triumph's Western Caribbean - http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/area.cfm?area=9

You may find something you feel is a "must see" or "must do" and will help make up your mind for you. For example, the St Maarten 12 metre Regatta (using 1987 America's cup ships) gets rave reviews from passengers. OTOH I looked for St Maarten Loterie Farm Treetop Zip Line info, and was puzzled to see "temporarily unavailable".

Just from a ship standpoint, I'd do either Conquest or Valor. They are both full-blown conquest-class ships with all of the ammenities that those ships have like a supper club and fish and chips restaurant. The Triumph is almost the same size but a mongrel class in that it doesn't include some of that stuff even though the layout is otherwise pretty much the same.

DWING18,

It will be difficult to avoid children as most will be on Christmas vacation.

We like to cruise when kids are in school.

Length of cruise impacts as well....

Also, I would not sail out of Port Canaveral... you'd be surprised how many families combine Disney and cruising.

Try these links where other CC solos and singles post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139

Good luck!

Mike

I plan to go on a 12/14/08 cruise.

I am a 40 year old single male taking a vacation.

My 3 final choice are Conquest, Triumph or Valor.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

You probably won't be encountering too many children on your cruise (unless the parents take them out of school or they're home schooled) - besides, it's not like you're going during the Xmas week - that week will be filled up with kids for sure. I've been on the Conquest - great ship and I know others who've been on the Triumph and Valor and loved them as well - either way, go for the best deal and have a great time!

Archived