Take the Cruise IQ Challenge!

Dan Askin

Well, after 6 tries, I'm at 218,000 and IQ 179. But that's only because I've played this so many times on TripAdvisor, that I know Europe inside and out.

The only criticism I might offer about this game is that, unlike the TripAdvisor version, it asks the exact same questions over and over, in the same order. So once you've memorized where they are, it's just a matter of trying to get the flag closer to the spot.

Whereas with the TripAdvisor version you never know what it's going to ask you, or in what order - and out of the blue it'll throw a location at you that you've never heard of!

Okay revising my numbers - I did it again and managed to get past South America, and once I got to the Asian countries I flew through it. (I'd previously studied them in order to get through the one on Trip Advisor, so I knew Asia well).

So I'm at 252,489, and IQ 195. I didn't realize it stopped at level 11 - bummer! Can it go any higher?

Well, after 6 tries, I'm at 218,000 and IQ 179. But that's only because I've played this so many times on TripAdvisor, that I know Europe inside and out.

The only criticism I might offer about this game is that, unlike the TripAdvisor version, it asks the exact same questions over and over, in the same order. So once you've memorized where they are, it's just a matter of trying to get the flag closer to the spot.

Whereas with the TripAdvisor version you never know what it's going to ask you, or in what order - and out of the blue it'll throw a location at you that you've never heard of!

Thanks Leejnd4,

Your comments are very much appreciated -- although the order of ports is suppose to be random! We are somewhat limited by the actual amount of cruise ports, because the Cruise IQ version will of course focus only on the places on the water. A bit limiting for sure, but that's the nature of the game. And as you know, it's about being quicker and more accurate each time, so the player can always do better.

Dan

Thanks Leejnd4,

Your comments are very much appreciated -- although the order of ports is suppose to be random! We are somewhat limited by the actual amount of cruise ports, because the Cruise IQ version will of course focus only on the places on the water. A bit limiting for sure, but that's the nature of the game. And as you know, it's about being quicker and more accurate each time, so the player can always do better.

I see what you're saying about the limitation of only using places on the water - but if it were me building this game, I'd add in a few places that are very common excursion sites as well. For example, Florence - who takes a cruise that stops in Livorno, and doesn't visit Florence? And how about the Panama Canal? That's a huge draw. There are lots of commonly visited cruise destinations that I can think of that weren't represented. Also, Africa was left out entirely - no Agadir, no Casablanca, no Funchal (not really Africa, but right off the coast of Africa).

I'm not trying to be nit-picky - I love this game! But this one is very limiting for those of us who already have pretty good map knowledge.

I think this is a GREAT game for cruisers - I often look around for cruises to places I haven't been, but I don't know the regions well enough to be able to visualize where the cruise is going. I think this is an excellent way to learn the actual geography of the places you might want to visit on a cruise. In fact, that's why I started playing it so much on TripAdvisor - I love to travel, and I wanted to gain a better knowledge of our world's geography, so I could conceptualize all the places I might want to visit someday.

Okay, I don't know if you fixed something, or if the problem was in my computer or what...but it's now giving me entirely different locations, randomly! That's great! If you guys fixed it - well done, and thanks. :) This makes it much more interesting and challenging.

Of course, this means that my earlier high score was kind of unfairly achieved - it's easy to get a high score when it keeps giving you the same locations in the same order over and over, you just need to memorize them. When it gives them to you randomly, you have to actually know the region.

This is MUCH more fun! Off to play again... :D

Excellent score. I only got 200,000. Just for clarification, a trillion points = approximately the IQ of Einstein, one of the smartest people ever to live. I'm not sure whether or not Einstein enjoyed cruising though.

Well considering that he probably arrived in the US via ship, who's to say.

tried it a 2nd time and still couldnt get past canada

Oh the Ignominy! :eek: ;) :p

Hi, Folks,

Great game! Just so you know, I'm moving this thread to Floataway since it's out of the realm of Ask a Cruise Question. Continue playing - I'll check to see how you're doing!

I guess thats fine for folks like me who live in Floataway. :D

What about making it a sticky??

just an idea.

Okay, I don't know if you fixed something, or if the problem was in my computer or what...but it's now giving me entirely different locations, randomly! That's great! If you guys fixed it - well done, and thanks. :) This makes it much more interesting and challenging.

Of course, this means that my earlier high score was kind of unfairly achieved - it's easy to get a high score when it keeps giving you the same locations in the same order over and over, you just need to memorize them. When it gives them to you randomly, you have to actually know the region.

This is MUCH more fun! Off to play again... :D

I'm glad it's feeling more random, but I didn't touch a thing. Guess when you're dealing with "random generation," sometimes you'll get a few samples that are strikingly similar. I don't think it invalidates your score though -- unless of course you cheated (which you didn't).

This is the most addictive game I've played in a long time. Leejnd4, haven't equaled your score...yet...:D

Agreed. There's infinite room for improvement too, as you can ALWAYS do better.

Great fun. I love geography and should have done better. The Caribbean got me, partly because I got lazy and didn't look but also the islands are so small I couldn't identify them.

I'll definitely play again.

Hear you,

Some of those Caribbean islands are so small they don't even show up on the map -- but how could we leave out St. Maarten/St. Martin and St. Croix? Adds to the challenge anyway, no?

My final score was 224,684 and my IQ was 159. Obviously the number for the IQ is dropping as more and more people play. I can be obsessive about things, but I think for my sanity (and to be able to get some work done) I'll leave my score as is. ;)

Oh come on shellbeachjim, you can do better than that. I know you can, just give it another try.

I scored 232,525. Got an IQ of 200. Look at the big brain on Rob!

Freaky!! The IQs seem to change. I scored 232,626 and my IQ was only 165. I scored 270,xxx yesterday and my IQ was 178 but I played again tonight and scored 263,xxx and my IQ was also 178. Go figure!!!

But, I'm learning a lot of geography, so it isn't a total loss.

Archived