Timing for Booking

Bolshoi

I am considering an October '09 Hong Kong to Singapore cruise on RSS Mariner. I went as far as making contact with a TA (through the RSS website) and got a quote. But I didn't act as this was going on at about the same time as the financial crisis. I thought I'd wait and see if fares drop any.

What's the general thought amongst the group here? Should bookings be made now to ensure getting a cabin of choice (I want an H-class on deck 9, I think) or wait to see if fares are lowered?

I should note that we're resident in Southeast Asia but are US citizens with a US address. All dealings with the TA will be by email and they will not be able to do much for us in terms of airfare.

All input will be appreciated.

The big guy

I booked a cruise for next October several months back. When Regent offered a discount the TA contacted me to let me know of the lowered price. I can not say for certain but as far as I know you get the advantage of any price drops. I book way ahead so that I can get a cabin I want. I would rather risk a higher price to ensure that.

It's difficult to tell what the next few months will bring. We typically book 12-16 months in advance to take advantage of any "Early Booking Discount", etc. If you wait too long, you may not get a cabin in the area you would like. If prices go down prior to your final payment, your TA can make an adjustment. . . or, you can cancel and rebook.

This current economic crisis is unique, so nobody knows what will come of it. But in general, it's best to book far out with Regent. Prices tend not to go down over time, so cabin choice is the key point. But as Paint Horse said, a good TA can usually get a lowered fare if there is a later discount (before final payment, which is 120 days out.)

But an H cabin is not going to be on deck 9, not on Voyager, Mariner or Navigator. H is the minimum cabin level on these ships, on deck 5 or 6; prices goes up with the deck, but the minimum cabins are great.

On Mariner H cabins are on deck 7. I love that area of the ship and the price. There are only 10 cabins in that category. If you want one and it is still available, you better book it now. As said previously, there may or may not be a better offer later. But, those 10 cabins will go fast. As to the free air, they will issue a price reductions in lieu of air.

I personally would not be surprised to see SIGNIFICANT add ons to the price of a cruise from this point forward. I think that 2 for 1's, free pre-cruise or post cruise days - perhaps even at overwater bungalos etc - as well as free economy air -- will be the norm. This is a world wide economic recession and top dollar cruises consume lots of income dollars- ergo MANY folks will decline.

We did an 11 day cruise on the PG in July of this year --darn glad we did it then.

Wishful thinking goblue57

We've booked for 14 nights on Voyager next September and had trouble getting a cabin two weeks in a row. Will there be some cancellations in the next while? Probably. We certainly have no intentions of cancelling our cruise. And we're not going to go grovelling to Regent for 2 fer 1's or free post or pre or whatever. We figure we're big boys and girls now and can look after ourselves on our own. Otherwise, we'll stay home. Free post or pre or 2 for 1 is the same credit crap that started the mess.

Work hard, pay your bills, play hard at your expense.

Quote: We figure we're big boys and girls now and can look after ourselves on our own. Otherwise, we'll stay home. Free post or pre or 2 for 1 is the same credit crap that started the mess.

Work hard, pay your bills, play hard at your expense.

Really CruiseBug.... I agree! I can see the mainstream, mass market lines shooting in the deep discount direction (and then cutting amenities in conjunction) but I certainly hope that the luxury lines like Regent maintain their standards AND their pricing

First of all congratulations on your upcoming 25th anniversary cruise!! The cruise we just had on Voyager was our 25th anniversary cruise! If the Mariner staff are anything like Voyager, they will make you feel very special! We had a "surprise" cake delivered at dinner in Signatures with a "Happy Anniversary" song by the waiters. In our suite we arrived to another cake, champagne, a personal note from our butler and stewardess....

Lots of fun.

I think Regent (along with other luxury lines) will do okay in the next while. Some of us baby boomers are only just discovering cruising. (Look at the ships being built!!!) Up until now, my wife and I were "island people" or "dry land people". We've always vacationed in the Caribbean or have travelled in Asia (Thailand, Vietnam, China) and Australia. Only recently (after a trip to London and Paris) we decided to see more of Europe.

What better way to get a quick intro than a cruise? But we want a luxury cruise.

So... we'll pay the money to book with Regent.

I suspect all of the cruise lines are going to suffer hard times, perhaps especially the luxury lines. Perhaps not for a while, since people to tend to plan in advance and perhaps are more apt to stick with those plans since they become emotionally invested in the holiday. I know I do that--if I had known how bad things were going to get, I perhaps would have cancelled my upcoming 14-day PG trip, but now I'm really glad I did not.

But...a year from now? All bets are off. I, for one, love 2-for-1 deals with included air, I've done several 2-fers. Why would I prefer to pay more? I don't get that.

Somehow I don't feel that 2 for 1's or free air is grovelling as stated by cruisebugbit. If he feels that way he must surely purchase an auto at sticker price.

Cruise lines in good economic times charge what the market will bear - and offer significant deals when the market is as it is now, in near chaos.

Somehow I don't feel that 2 for 1's or free air is grovelling as stated by cruisebugbit. If he feels that way he must surely purchase an auto at sticker price.

Cruise lines in good economic times charge what the market will bear - and offer significant deals when the market is as it is now, in near chaos.

Unfortunately you are all correct, times are hard for ALL cruise lines..Regents policy has always been when a price changes all passengers that have been booked get to take advantage of the drop so if you want the cruise, find an agent that works with Regent and go for it..

Jancruz1

There comes a point where they are not making enough to make it worthwhile to fill a cabin vs. leaving it empty. If they give lobster for the price of Burger King forever then they can't stay afloat.

Meanwhile, I say latch onto a sale and make sure your TA is one that is willing to request price reductions. If you know the cancellation terms and are OK with them and are OK with the deposit, you can book now and get the lower level cabins before they sell out. If people continue to book, this will save situations like the SS Prince Albert II that just disappeared off the Tahiti market before it even started.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank-you all for your replies and thoughts. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a 15 day on the Mariner Hong Kong to Singapore next October. This will be our first Regent cruise (and only our second cruise ever) so it's a big step.

We're resident overseas so all correspondence with the TA is via email and she ends up replying from both her desktop and her blackberry so I get multiple responses as she thinks of things. A point of concern is also that the first set of docs sent had wholly erroneous data on them. And the online system at Regent isn't running at the moment. Oh well... I guess we have almost a year to sort it out.

the big guy

Archived