Santiago to Mendoza. Fly or Drive?

tak2

I will start a cruise from Valparaiso in mid March, 2010.

Mendoza is where we wish to spend 3-4 days pre cruise.

With having to go from Santiago to airport, and then mendoza airport to hotel,even though the flight is under one hour, the door to door from hotel to hotel may be close to the driving time required from Santiago to Mendoza.

Any comments? I'm not planning to drive, but rather get get a tour company / transfer service. Any recommendation?

Thanks.

I took a bus tour to Mendoza in the spring - wow. I have flown over the Andes many times, not the same - yes it is faster, however if you want to experience the Andes, in my personal opinion it can only be done on the road. I used to live in Vancouver Canada, I have driven though the coastalrange and into the Canadian Rockies several times. I was simply blown away by the raw majesty of the Andes. Let me explain, the roads go almost straight up the Andes, complete switch backs the whole way! not for the faint of heart to take the front full window seat of the second level. Expect silly line ups at the boarders, get out of busses, wait for everyone to be cleared, etc. But at the same time you are at a peak in the trip so the view is fantastic.

Considering you are on a short few day trip, perhaps fly and enjoy great beef in Mendoza and superb wines. If you have the time, take a bus tour.

Sounds like a wonderful ride. However, does it also carry the discomfort of car sickness with all those twisting turns?

As you can tell from my address, I am very familiar with the Canadian Rockies, including the drive from Calgary to Vancouver. But we don't have those sharp turn here, so I don't know if I can handle it for even 30 minutes at a time. How long is the really twisty part?

Jamie, since I board the ship in Valparaiso, is there a bus that easily connects us from Mendoza to Valparaiso, even though we have to change bus in Santiago( without a long layover or a different bus station?

Judy, Did your car tour take you to the highest point where buses go?

I'm not knowledgeable as to whether the scenery is nice on both sides of the border.

Archived