Need Suggestions for Touring Normandy

BayCalif-Ariz R Us

We will be spending one day in Le Havre next summer and generally don't like to book Princess excursions. Can anyone help with information about the best way to see as much as possible of the WWII sites? Thanks - Denise & Alan

Maybe someone has some ideas over at the Ports of Call board for Europe. May give it a try.

Mairlyn

It might be possible to rent a car and drive to the invasion beaches. It is about a 2 hour drive from Le Harve. The German defenses and the cliff at Pointe du Hoc are definitely worth seeing. The 2nd Ranger battalion scaled the cliff to attack this position.

We took the kids there with some French friends in 1996. The folks in Normandy definately had not forgotten the sacrifices of the invading troops to liberate them. We also found the museum in Caen interesting. The invasion beaches themselves no longer have anything special to see but our kids enjoyed swimming there.

Mont St. Michel (about an hour further) is quite spectacular but is probably too far.

We used Battlebus to take us on a Normandy American Highlights tour and they were great--the guide really brought the sites to life with stories and pictures of individual soldiers on an all day tour. I would use a tour company rather than renting a car--even though the driving is easy and the roads are well marked, you'll get much more out of your visit and see the most sites in the time allotted with a real guide.

Les

We used http://www.handmaidtours.com for our trip in Normandy. It was the best excursion we have ever taken. The owner John Flaherty is an Englishman who has lived in France for 20+ years. He is also an historian and really knows his stuff. His car can carry 5 or so people so if you can find another couple to share the tour with the cost decreases. We went back in 04 or 05 when the Euro wasn't as high against the dollar. We paid 1/2 up front which I was a little leery about but it worked out great.

We took a ship's tour that included the D-Day beaches, the American cemetary, and the Caen Museum. Lunch was served at the museum. It was a very good tour with a fantastic guide. There is quite a bit of ground to cover for all of these places and we were glad not to be doing the driving. Strongly recommend a tour of some sort.

This entire day was incredibly moving. We were there on June 6 and there were many reenactments and special ceremonies. My husband was born on D-Day , so, this was a very special trip for him.

Normandy is one of our travel highlights. Near the beaches, it is truly like stepping back in time. The hedgerows, the churches, the small inns, the countryside, really don't appear to have changed through the years. The local population are still very appreciative of the sacrifices made so many years ago.

We used Battlebus to take us on a Normandy American Highlights tour and they were great--the guide really brought the sites to life with stories and pictures of individual soldiers on an all day tour. I would use a tour company rather than renting a car--even though the driving is easy and the roads are well marked, you'll get much more out of your visit and see the most sites in the time allotted with a real guide.

Les

I was on a Rick Steves tour of France and they used Battlebus tours - FANTASTIC!! Our guide was Dale Booth (an Englishman living in France) who was great - he brought the story and battles of WWII to life for us. I used to think that WWII history was boring, but not after his tour! :D Don't miss touring Normandy - it was very moving. And the people were still appreciative of American, British, and Canadian sacrifices for them. They thanked us over and over.

We used www.handmaidtours.com for our trip in Normandy. It was the best excursion we have ever taken. The owner John Flaherty is an Englishman who has lived in France for 20+ years. He is also an historian and really knows his stuff. His car can carry 5 or so people so if you can find another couple to share the tour with the cost decreases. We went back in 04 or 05 when the Euro wasn't as high against the dollar. We paid 1/2 up front which I was a little leery about but it worked out great.

We toured last year with John and it was excellent. My husband and son are very much into military history and found John to be the perfect tour guide. My husband and he emailed back and forth ahead of time to plan to see what Paul particularly wanted to see - and I got to see the Bayeax Tapestry as well. You will not be disappointed if you tour with John. You will see and learn far more than any ship tour and at a fraction of the cost. Our children had the best History lesson possible with John.

This is one instance I say to definitely do an organized tour regardless of the cost. It's just too far to try and do on your own. At the end of our cruise, our one day in Paris I had rented a car with intentions of driving to Normandy. We arrived to rain, fog and lots of traffic. I decided not to risk driving in an unknown area in the foul weather, so cancelled the car. Couldn't find a tour company to do it at such late notice, and it was a holiday so lots of things were closed down, except the Holiday festivities. Long story short, we didn't get to Normandy. With the foul weather, we didn't even leave the hotel.

Thanks to all of you who posted. Very helpful and I imagine we will take your advice and book a tour in advance. Battlebus will be our first inquiry. This is too important, especially to my husband, to miss out on anything. It's important to me, too, as my Dad was shot and permanently disabled in Southern Italy in 1944 as the Allies marched on Rome.

Thanks to all of you who posted. Very helpful and I imagine we will take your advice and book a tour in advance. Battlebus will be our first inquiry. This is too important, especially to my husband, to miss out on anything. It's important to me, too, as my Dad was shot and permanently disabled in Southern Italy in 1944 as the Allies marched on Rome.

You won't be sorry by getting a tour; it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience. The American cemetery is one of the most moving places I've ever been to (along with Pearl Harbor). The tour guide just tells a little about it, then gives you time to wander around. Ask for Dale Booth at Battlebus and you'll be glad! :)

Archived