Can I be a pain? - too long signatures

eventfarm

Should people reduce the size of their signatures to less than 6"?  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Should people reduce the size of their signatures to less than 6"?

• Yes, it makes reading the thread easier.
    • Yes, I have sigs turned off because of this and I'd like to turn them back on
    • No, to each his own.
    • I don't care - I have sigs turned off and don't plan on turning them back on.

You can turn off signatures......go to User CP and then Edit Options and you can turn them off so that you don't see any signatures.

Thank you very much for that great advice. I just went and adjusted my settings so that I don't have to look at signatures anymore.

Advice like yours is what makes this web site so useful!

Does this have any bearings on the sites bandwith? I ask this because other sites that I frequent limit the size of sigs for that reason.

Glad to know there is the option to turn them off. Some of them are out of control (imho).

If you have signatures turned off and want to see one in particular, you can just click on the user's name and then on the drop down menu, click on profile and then you can see their ticker.

Sometimes someone will ask about a certain cabin and not mention which ship, so I sometimes click and see if they have their cruise in their signature, but I have them turned off too I admit.

For those that do not want to turn your signatures off but find dealing with excessively long signatures bothersome....there is a solution for you :) When you come across such a poster:

Left click on their name

Click on view public profile

Look right under their avatar or their name for "User List"

Click on that and it gives you 3 options with the last being Ignore User.

Click on that one and it will no longer show you posts by that particular user.

Now you can enjoy the boards and not have to shut all the signatures off if you don't want them off. It's also very helpful for those posters who drive you nuts!

For those that do not want to turn your signatures off but find dealing with excessively long signatures bothersome....there is a solution for you :) When you come across such a poster:

Left click on their name

Click on view public profile

Look right under their avatar or their name for "User List"

Click on that and it gives you 3 options with the last being Ignore User.

Click on that one and it will no longer show you posts by that particular user.

Now you can enjoy the boards and not have to shut all the signatures off if you don't want them off. It's also very helpful for those posters who drive you nuts!

You know, I never really thought of using the ignore feature for that purpose! That is a great idea!!! Thank you!

Thank you very much for that great advice. I just went and adjusted my settings so that I don't have to look at signatures anymore.

Advice like yours is what makes this web site so useful!

You can click in the middle of the ticker you want gone, and then press DELETE. Make sure you save your changes :)

Wow...and I was worried about my signature...but BlasterDave you take the cake with that one. I do think I will do some trimming on mine...did see Laura's message about "housecleaning" and took a look but then I saw so many that were larger than mine so left it like it was.

What I always find funny is the people that say they have turned off viewing signatures but haven't bothered to stop posting their own signature when they post.

I do believe I'm the only one who said that I've turned off viewing sigs and I don't have one of my own. :)

BTW, I peeked at yours and I like the style ticker you're using, if it is one. Nice and compact!

OK since I am the guy being talked about I suppose I should answer for myself. I have no problems with long signatures and I like to show off where I have been and where I am going and I LOVE to read other peoples signatures that have the same things in them. And as far as the rest, it is just showing the cruising world what I am a part of. Is it REALLY that big of an issue to have to scroll down just a bit farther to read the next post? By the way, since I cannot add anything more to mine (I have tried) I am guessing that I am at max capacity and since a CC host helped me design and put everything together I will take for granted that it is legal. I am sorry and I apologize if my signature offends anyone.

We are all glad you are proud of where you have been, but there are other ways of doing so. The old countdown clocks could be replaced by just a list of completed cruises, that would free up some space. And the insanely large multi colored font, well, lets just say i hope nobody epileptic happens to stumble upon one of your posts.

Just so you know, i am not picking on you personally, just trying toi point out that there are other ways of accomplishing what you have in mind, and its not just you, the OP just happened to use one of your posts as an example.

I do have to agree with the majority of other replies in this thread though, your signature really is a bit too much.

Wow...and I was worried about my signature...but BlasterDave you take the cake with that one. I do think I will do some trimming on mine...did see Laura's message about "housecleaning" and took a look but then I saw so many that were larger than mine so left it like it was.

I see no problem with yours, personally, i think, when the signature itself is longer than a page (where you have to either scroll up or down to see anything other than signature) it is entirely too much. I like yours, its simple and accomplishes the same as BlasterDaves in my book.

I do believe I'm the only one who said that I've turned off viewing sigs and I don't have one of my own. :)
You weren't the only one on this thread that spoke about turning off signatures and I definitely wasn't referring to you.:)

BTW, I peeked at yours and I like the style ticker you're using, if it is one. Nice and compact!
I like having the countdown clocks but don't want to overdo my signature - hence, the horizontal list instead of vertical and I remove my clocks as soon as they expire. Besides I always need room to add new clocks.:p

One hint that I sometimes remember (but not always), is before hitting submit reply scroll down and unclick to show signature. That way your signature only appears every once in a while in a thread instead of on all your posts.

For me it's not a mater of page load times.....it's having to scroll down through allllllll that junk just to see the next post. And if the same user, with a overflowing signature, posts several time in the same thread - I actually use the 'Page Down' key just to scroll through the junk / spam!

Well Blaster I was gonna give you heck for your sig. Because it seem to be the in thing to do. But after I looked over it again. I realized that I haven't signed up for the Hooters Dinner yet:D So your sig, helped me out. So no complaints from me. Thanks again

Archived