Open toed snorkel fins

burm

While I was out shopping yesterday I happened to pass a dive shop and picked up a pair of flippers. Although I carry my own mask and snorkel I was a bit concerned about borrowed footwear (which I have always used in the past) so bought myself a pair of Mare Clipper fins. They are the least expensive model made by an excellent company. It was a spontaneous purchase without any thought put into the selection and when I got home I wondered about the wisdom of wearing open toed fins. Wouldn’t they be a problem when snorkelling in a coral reef?

While I was out shopping yesterday I happened to pass a dive shop and picked up a pair of flippers. Although I carry my own mask and snorkel I was a bit concerned about borrowed footwear (which I have always used in the past) so bought myself a pair of Mare Clipper fins. They are the least expensive model made by an excellent company. It was a spontaneous purchase without any thought put into the selection and when I got home I wondered about the wisdom of wearing open toed fins. Wouldn’t they be a problem when snorkelling in a coral reef?

Nope for several reasons. The primary being you shouldn't be kicking a reef anyway, it's a living animal. Also if it's a proper fit your toes should be exposed but not hanging out. So little chance of contact anyway. They also allow some flow through the fin reducing drag. But if you're concerned there's an easy fix, get yourself some neoprene socks (available everywhere on-line and cheap, 1-3mm is fine for the Caribbean). They keep your toes from rubbing against the lip of the fin pocket and keep your feet warm.

Randall

Nope for several reasons. The primary being you shouldn't be kicking a reef anyway, it's a living animal. Also if it's a proper fit your toes should be exposed but not hanging out. So little chance of contact anyway. They also allow some flow through the fin reducing drag. But if you're concerned there's an easy fix, get yourself some neoprene socks (available everywhere on-line and cheap, 1-3mm is fine for the Caribbean). They keep your toes from rubbing against the lip of the fin pocket and keep your feet warm.

Randall

You sound like an experienced snorkeler so I greatly appreciate your advice.

True, you shouldn't be kicking a reef but one mistake could mean a nasty infection and you are in close contact with the coral. Naturally, we all have an obligation to be as careful as humanly possible.

My new fins are also quite soft and flexible compared to DH's more expensive fins. I wonder if with the extra give they would propel you as well.

This from Mare which also makes very expensive fins:

Blade's unique design gives the fin unsurpassed power.

When it comes right down to it, they have to be at least as good as the rentals and I have had no problem with them in the past. :D Still, as they have not yet been worn I can still exchange them if any of you more experienced snorkels have any better suggestions. I don't mind paying a little more if I get something for it. So people, how important are better fins and what kind do you recommend?

You sound like an experienced snorkeler so I greatly appreciate your advice.

True, you shouldn't be kicking a reef but one mistake could mean a nasty infection and you are in close contact with the coral. Naturally, we all have an obligation to be as careful as humanly possible.

My new fins are also quite soft and flexible compared to DH's more expensive fins. I wonder if with the extra give they would propel you as well.

This from Mare which also makes very expensive fins:

Blade's unique design gives the fin unsurpassed power.

When it comes right down to it, they have to be at least as good as the rentals and I have had no problem with them in the past. :D Still, as they have not yet been worn I can still exchange them if any of you more experienced snorkels have any better suggestions. I don't mind paying a little more if I get something for it. So people, how important are better fins and what kind do you recommend?

Snorkeler and PADI rescue diver. I have to say, in my life under the water I've yet to get a cut on my toe. :) I think you'll be fine and like I said the socks will eliminate any fears. As far as flexibility, you can actually get more propulsion out of a flexible fin. They provide more of propeller propulsion (corkscrew) instead of a fish's fin propulsion (up/down motion). The disadvantage is "hovering" underwater. The softer fins don't hover as well as they are meant for motion (try holding a boat in place with the propeller running). But since you'll be snorkeling and not at diving at depth, you should be fine with flexible ones (and fast). BTW, don't make the mistake of thinking more expensive is better. Like anything else, sometimes newer technology equipment costs less that more traditional equipment. I had a pair of "cheap" fins that allowed me to do circles around my dive buddies with their more expensive fins ('course like most divers seaking the best, I've gone 3 generations past them now :D).

Randall

I've owned Mare fins (same description as yours) for nine years of good service.

A few years ago I purchased a pair of Aqualung dive fins and the requisite booties. I thought they'd give me more "power". Wrong!

I used them only once. They are so heavy and stiff they make snorkeling a chore. They literally wear me out. That was a waste of money, and they weren't cheap.

The Mares will serve you well.

The neoprene socks sound like a good idea. I sometimes get a bit of chafing. Thanks Scubaran, I'll head out to Sea Sports Scuba tomorrow.

A good excuse to visit the dive shop. :p

BTW - I don't hover well, but a little air in my vest compensates for that.

Snorkeler and PADI rescue diver. I have to say, in my life under the water I've yet to get a cut on my toe. :) I think you'll be fine and like I said the socks will eliminate any fears. As far as flexibility, you can actually get more propulsion out of a flexible fin. They provide more of propeller propulsion (corkscrew) instead of a fish's fin propulsion (up/down motion). The disadvantage is "hovering" underwater. The softer fins don't hover as well as they are meant for motion (try holding a boat in place with the propeller running). But since you'll be snorkeling and not at diving at depth, you should be fine with flexible ones (and fast). BTW, don't make the mistake of thinking more expensive is better. Like anything else, sometimes newer technology equipment costs less that more traditional equipment. I had a pair of "cheap" fins that allowed me to do circles around my dive buddies with their more expensive fins ('course like most divers seaking the best, I've gone 3 generations past them now :D).

Randall

Thank you Randall. I have no doubt now that I would be fine with my Mare Clippers. That being said, half of the fun of a vacation is anticipation and research, so can you recommend any specific fins that you would recommend for a once year snorkeler?

I am a petite woman and I expect you are correct in saying that I will be fast with these lightweight fins. Wish I could try them out today! Lots of snow and -5 C (20 F)here today. Lots of snow to come before our late March cruise.

The Mares will serve you well.

The neoprene socks sound like a good idea. I sometimes get a bit of chafing. Thanks Scubaran, I'll head out to Sea Sports Scuba tomorrow.

A good excuse to visit the dive shop. :p

BTW - I don't hover well, but a little air in my vest compensates for that.

Thanks to both of you. I love Cruise Critic! So much practical advice and support.

Thank you Randall. I have no doubt now that I would be fine with my Mare Clippers. That being said, half of the fun of a vacation is anticipation and research, so can you recommend any specific fins that you would recommend for a once year snorkeler?

I am a petite woman and I expect you are correct in saying that I will be fast with these lightweight fins. Wish I could try them out today! Lots of snow and -5 C (20 F)here today. Lots of snow to come before our late March cruise.

Hi,

I use the Apollo Full Foot Bio UNI split fin when I snorkel (I use Apollo open heal fins when I dive). They're rubber, instead of plastic and are much more comfortable for me. However, I think Apollo has stopped making these and I got them on close out for $39US (the cheapest I found them today was $69US). I looked up your Mare Clippers and they were $20US where I checked so I think you'd be best with the ones you got.

BTW, you said you got them at a dive shop. I'm sure there's a local pool that they do training at. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to try out the fins in the water. I'm sure they'll allow you to tag along on a Saturday pool session so you can jump in the water and try them out (I know my dive center does this for free).

Remember, the best equipment is the equipment you have experience with and feel comfortable using. Nothing worst than getting in the ocean and not having your equipment work right and to your liking. BTW, if you feel like the fins don't work for you after trying them in the pool, I'm sure the dive center will refund your money. One of the major advantages of going with a dive center for purchasing your gear (besides the fact it keeps them in business). :D

Randall

Yes, the dive shop does give great service and I want to keep them in business. Dive shops in the land of ice and snow need all the support they can get. :D

We will hit 9 ports on our next cruise and I expect to snorkel in every one of them. Can't wait!

• 2 weeks later...

I've become a big fan of neoprene fin socks for snorkeling. They really do a lot to prevent chafing of my feet, prevent slipping, and help fit a lot. We have some thin short ones that ran around $10, or less, per pair.

They also help at least a little with walking over rough surfaces, not much since they have no sole, but a little better than bare feet.

We used to carry our own fins around then stopped due to the bulk in our luggage and carting all that stuff around to the snorkeling spots. Most of the time we're either on an excursion where fins are provided or at a beach or reef where rental fins are available. I found I like the smaller rental fins more than the larger fins we carried around before too. We do have some small open foot fins that pack easy (US Divers Shredder fins) and are light that we carry when a snorkeling stop is scheduled at a place that doesn't rent fins. But on most cruises we leave these at home. The neprene fin socks help in all these cases.

The Mares Clipper is a full foot fin and sold by foot size. I'll guess that you did try them on to ensure a comfortable fit. There's nothing wrong with a full foot fin and I would not worry about hurting your open toes.

However, b4 you go buy some wet socks for potential rubbing issues....how good was your fit on the fins alone? 'Cuz wet socks are usually thick and will add a half size or more to your foot...which is one of the disadvantages of full foot fins. An adjustable fin allows you to fix the strap for various sizes of dive boots/wet socks. Perhaps if you go back to the same dive shop they will allow you to size up if needed. Full foot fins are really designed to be worn w/out "booties" tho, so I'd recommend not going there. A properly fitting full foot fin should be snug and not rub once fully immersed in H2O.

I also find it interesting that Mares says this is a "pool or snorkel" fin only "not for scuba diving"?

http://scubagear.stores.yahoo.net/013037.html

.... my guess is that the soft nature of this fin does make it as easy paddler, but doesn't provide sufficient thrust to move the average scuba diver thru the water efficiently. And that's the difference with "scuba fins" if there is such a thing. They are stiffer to give more push per kick....but yes, you need stronger legs to kick them. A two variable equation.

"divers", even when not wearing a wet suit and/or snorkeling will often wear an adjustable fin over a comfortable dive boot. The boot protects the feet and the adjustable fin has no chance to rub wrong while providing power per kick....

The captain sends - certified oh so long ago by a PADI instructor with a single digit instructor number!

Captain BJ, thank you for your imput. I am not much of a swimmer so for me snorkeling is one of the major joys and privileges of life. To be part of this incredible undersea world is simply awesome. I always wish that I had a marine biologist beside me who could tell me more about what I am seeing.

The Clipper flippers that I have purchased fit me precisely. I plan to try them out at a pool before I go but they were not expensive and if I have to donate them to Goodwill, so be it. My main concern was the open toes. I have visions of someone knocking me into fire coral or something.

I am looking out the window at big fluffy snowflakes adding to the accumulation already on the ground and enoying thinking about the warm Caribbean.

[

I've become a big fan of neoprene fin socks for snorkeling. They really do a lot to prevent chafing of my feet, prevent slipping, and help fit a lot. We have some thin short ones that ran around $10, or less, per pair.

We were on the Celebrity Constellation Ultimate 12 day Caribbean cruise this year and loved it. 7 days is just not enough.

DH had a real problem with chafing this year with his open back fins so I think the socks would be perfect for him. He had sores that lasted about 3 months.

I think I will give the full foot fins with the open toe a try this year and see how I like them. They really seem comfortable.

I always wish that I had a marine biologist beside me who could tell me more about what I am seeing.

Hi,

If you're interested in what you'll be seeing, you can try going to my photography site (www.randallgamby.com). I've got quite a number of fish, turtles, corals and creatures in my photographs and have heavily researched each one to make sure they're correct.

Also you can pick up the various "reef guides" like th fish guide below, for Florida, the Caribbean and the Bahamas.

5182P7CCZ6L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

There's a whole series on fish, coral and creatures. It identifies them, basic habitate information and their reaction to humans. Very informative with full color pictures and not that expensive (amazon sells used copies at reduced prices). :D

Randall

Hi,

If you're interested in what you'll be seeing, you can try going to my photography site (www.randallgamby.com). I've got quite a number of fish, turtles, corals and creatures in my photographs and have heavily researched each one to make sure they're correct.

Randall

What a beautiful website. Thank you for sharing. I have bookmarked it and look forward to spending more time going over it later. I have already identified a few things that we have seen.

I recently purchased a Sealife camera and am excited to try it out. What kind do you use?

Love the Christmas Tree Worms. How seasonally appropriate.

What a beautiful website. Thank you for sharing. I have bookmarked it and look forward to spending more time going over it later. I have already identified a few things that we have seen.

I recently purchased a Sealife camera and am excited to try it out. What kind do you use?

Love the Christmas Tree Worms. How seasonally appropriate.

Hi,

I have a canon A-series point and shoot with an underwater enclosure with a two armed camera tray with a single strobe on one arm and an underwater flashlight on the other (for close up work, strobes are too bright for work like the christmas tree worms). Remember to memorize all the fish so you know what you'll be seeing. :) BTW, I apologize, I haven't updated it since last fall. I have a bunch more to post, just need the time to do it (I'm off until Wed. with use-it-or-lose-it vacation time so maybe I'll be able to post some more, no promises).

Randall

Hi,

Also you can pick up the various "reef guides" like th fish guide below, for Florida, the Caribbean and the Bahamas.

There's a whole series on fish, coral and creatures. It identifies them, basic habitate information and their reaction to humans. Very informative with full color pictures and not that expensive (amazon sells used copies at reduced prices). :D

Randall

Thank you for the Christmas gift suggestion. I placed my order this am and DH should receive his Xmas gift by Jan 5. :D I guess I will have to print off a picture of the book and place it in a box with weights.

Archived