What are Medallions?

Avril

I've seen (or should I say read) things on this board either in people's posts or in their signatures about Medallions. Things like "Receiving our (insert colour here) Medallions from the Captain onboard the ______dam". I was just wondering, what are Medallions and how do you get them?

Thanks!! :D

You have to sail HAL at least 100 days to get your first "medallion." They are medals that come on ribbons that you hang around your neck. People who are awarded them at a Mariner's ceremony onboard generally wear them for the rest of the day onboard.

You get your bronze medallion after 100 days, a silver one after 300 days, another (not sure what color) after 500 days, and finally another, I think, after 750 days. After that, you get gold plated keys to the ship. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Right, rita: They are great big gaudy 4 or 5 inch in diameter round heavy discs hung on wide ceremonial ribbons. They hang down about to your waist and weigh about 5 pounds (LOL).

To get the the most valuable one (most days sailed on HAL), you have to have been born on the ship and never have left.

They are much sought after by many, including me, but are rarely seen being worn except at or near the presentation gathering on board when they are presented.

They are also available at a reasonable price on ebay, but that's another discussion.

They are also available at a reasonable price on ebay.
Really? I have my mother's 40,000 Sea Miles (back when that was the standard) and would never part with it. She was such a HAL fan, I thought she would take it with her when she passed on.

I'm pretty laid-back with mine. Just wear it to the ceremony and, when returning to my seat, generally manage to work my way through the aisle of newbies with, "Oh, pardon me, did I hit you with my medallion?"

I've seen (or should I say read) things on this board either in people's posts or in their signatures about Medallions. Things like "Receiving our (insert colour here) Medallions from the Captain onboard the ______dam". I was just wondering, what are Medallions and how do you get them?

Thanks!! :D

Avril, you don't get the medallions from the Captain but rather from your waiter in the Dining Room. They are very tender chunks of beef. Lovem LOL Sorry but I am a foodie.

Thanks everyone!! :D I hope I enjoy HAL enough to want to try for a medallion of some colour!!

Avril, you don't get the medallions from the Captain but rather from your waiter in the Dining Room. They are very tender chunks of beef. Lovem LOL Sorry but I am a foodie.

LOL!! :D That all I can say, LOL!! :D :D I really enjoy those as well!!

I laugh every time I see people wearing the medallians as though they were Olympic medals. Let's see: do I want a 5' paperweight to pack and wear around my neck on HAL or do I want free Internet, free laundry/dry cleaning, priority tender, priority disembarkation, 10% off anything in any of the stores, appetizers delivered to my cabin on formal nights, a complete mini-bar set-up with soda and mixers, etc. on Princess. Hmmm... choices, choices. IMHO, for perks, you can't beat Princess, and yes, they are an incentive to book Princess vs. HAL, but I still like HAL and will continue to sail with them.

I laugh every time I see people wearing the medallians as though they were Olympic medals. Let's see: do I want a 5' paperweight to pack and wear around my neck on HAL or do I want free Internet, free laundry/dry cleaning, priority tender, priority disembarkation, 10% off anything in any of the stores, appetizers delivered to my cabin on formal nights, a complete mini-bar set-up with soda and mixers, etc. on Princess. Hmmm... choices, choices. IMHO, for perks, you can't beat Princess, and yes, they are an incentive to book Princess vs. HAL, but I still like HAL and will continue to sail with them.

You forgot the tiarra and the wand

Archived