snorkle with sea turtles

Joe & Kim

There are several private tour operators that have sea turtle snorkel tours. I think most of them expect advance reservations. You might be able to check at the pier when you arrive and see if any of the ones picking up other cruise guests have openings.

We just got back and at Folkestone (and Paynes b/c we stopped to pick up a couple there) there is a glass bottom boat snorkel tour, "West Water Adventure". They gave me their card. They do advance reservations and off-the-beach pick-ups, though in the peak season they might be full. It was 35 US$ per person for about 2 hours (I didn't really time it) including the mask, snorkel, and life vest and we took the "Sp-Town" bus line just a few blocks from the pier so travel was 0.75 US$ per person each way. That way you get to stay at the beach for a bit before or after. Folkestone was more of a park with picnic tables and a playground and buoy space to swim and snorkel, no room to lounge in the sand, but plenty of shade. From afar Paynes beach looked to have more sand and less shade, but I don't know if there is a fee.

The boat captain, we had Keyan or some spelling like that, made sure to feed the fish so they'd swim around us, and even brought one of the turtles up with food so the non-snorkeling woman in our boat could see the turtle. If you're not a swimmer, like my mother, you hang onto the life preserver and he'll tow you around. He used the glass bottom to show us the different types of coral before we went in the water. He also warned us about the illegal water skiiers and speed boaters and kept and eye out, for safety.

It was a great time for all of us. We had 4 people so it was a lot cheaper NOT to go with the cruise, though for 2 people the convenience of pier pick up might be worth the extra cost.

We just got back, and at Folkestone (and Paynes b/c we stopped to pick up a couple there)

there is a glass bottom boat snorkel tour, "West Water Adventure". They gave me their card.

They do advance reservations and off-the-beach pick-ups, though in the peak season they might be full.

It was 35 US$ per person for about 2 hours (I didn't really time it) including the mask, snorkel, and life vest

and we took the "Speights-Town" bus line just a few blocks from the pier so travel was 0.75 US$ per person each way.

That way you get to stay at the beach for a bit before or after.

Folkestone was more of a park with picnic tables and a playground and buoy space to swim and snorkel

no room to lounge in the sand, but plenty of shade. ===> That is correct

From afar, Paynes beach looked to have more sand and less shade,

but I don't know if there is a fee. ==> It should be a free beach..

The boat captain, we had Keyan or some spelling like that, made sure to feed the fish so they'd swim around us,

and even brought one of the turtles up with food so the non-snorkeling woman in our boat could see the turtle.

If you're not a swimmer, like my mother, you hang onto the life preserver and he'll tow you around.

He used the glass bottom to show us the different types of coral before we went in the water.

He also warned us about the illegal water skiiers and speed boaters

- and kept an eye out, for safety. ===> Yeaahh there are a few crazy ones around..

It was a great time for all of us. We had 4 people so it was a lot cheaper NOT to go with the cruise,

though for 2 people the convenience of pier pick up might be worth the extra cost.

Great feedback - very practical. Thank you.

Most islanders pronounce that like SPIKES-town (myself included.. LOL!) :)

We just got back and at Folkestone (and Paynes b/c we stopped to pick up a couple there) there is a glass bottom boat snorkel tour, "West Water Adventure". They gave me their card. They do advance reservations and off-the-beach pick-ups, though in the peak season they might be full. It was 35 US$ per person for about 2 hours (I didn't really time it) including the mask, snorkel, and life vest and we took the "Sp-Town" bus line just a few blocks from the pier so travel was 0.75 US$ per person each way. That way you get to stay at the beach for a bit before or after. Folkestone was more of a park with picnic tables and a playground and buoy space to swim and snorkel, no room to lounge in the sand, but plenty of shade. From afar Paynes beach looked to have more sand and less shade, but I don't know if there is a fee.

The boat captain, we had Keyan or some spelling like that, made sure to feed the fish so they'd swim around us, and even brought one of the turtles up with food so the non-snorkeling woman in our boat could see the turtle. If you're not a swimmer, like my mother, you hang onto the life preserver and he'll tow you around. He used the glass bottom to show us the different types of coral before we went in the water. He also warned us about the illegal water skiiers and speed boaters and kept and eye out, for safety.

It was a great time for all of us. We had 4 people so it was a lot cheaper NOT to go with the cruise, though for 2 people the convenience of pier pick up might be worth the extra cost.

Do you have a website for them? I found email if anyone needs: westwaterad@hotmail.com

Archived