How to get moved to a handicap accessible room before sailing?

elmojessi

Please read my entire post before responding…

I saw the other day that Carnival was offering free “upgrades” from 4A(Riviera) to 4G(Panorama), so I called my TA and asked her to upgrade us, and we selected cabin 1029. Shortly after doing that, I saw online that cabins 9202 and 9203 on the Lido deck were listed as available on the 4G rate. These are the cabins that are all the way forward and overlook the “secret decks,” and are larger than an inside cabin. Obviously this seemed like a no brainer, take one of those two rooms instead of the inside 4G cabin that I had just selected.

So I called back my TA and asked her to move us into one of those two rooms. She said that those rooms were pulling up at a higher rate than what we were at, so she said that she would call Carnival and see what the deal was. She called me back and told me that these were handicap accessible rooms and therefore I couldn’t book them. She said that if these rooms were not booked by the time of sailing, I could request to be moved into one of them.

Obviously I have no intent of taking one of these rooms from someone who needs it, but if they are still available a few days before sailing, I would love to have one. My question is: How and when do I go about requesting to be moved into one of these cabins? Do I just call my TA about a week before sail and ask to be moved if they are still available? Does anyone have any experience with this and have any tips?

Thanks,

Jessica

Well, I got one on Victory when I booked on Monday, and am fully aware that I could be bumped.

Personally, I don't really want a cabin high and all the way forward as I have had motion sickness issues, but I loved the layout of the cabin (sail with DD so not having beds that convert to a King is not an issue), and having the "secret deck" out there is a plus.

I booked with a Carnival PVP and had no problems getting the cabin I wanted (Empress Deck).

If you wait until just before sailing, the cabin won't be available. I've been booked into HC cabins by a PVP in the past and didn't even realize it until I boarded. I honestly don't think TAs or Carnival hold those cabins at all. If someone wants to book them, they put them in there, whether they need the HC access or not (which is just wrong imho).

I'd call and get moved to one now. That way, if it isn't needed, you'll have the cabin you want. And if they do need it and bump you, you'll probably get an upgrade. That's my logic (which has been known to be faulty at times).

Your TA is not very knowledgeable.

YES you can book a handicap cabin even if you're not handicap, but like the previous poster said, you do so with the clear understanding that if someone actually needs the cabin, you will be re-assigned to a different cabin, many times without notice.

As long as you are staying within the same category, your rate will be protected. If you're moving to a different category, even if it's a lower category, new rates will apply.

Archived