Question for the ladies

sandrac213

Take your dress and get fitted into a strapless bra.

I've seen the clear straps on a lot of women.

That statement should tell you why it's not a great idea. You want people to notice how great you look in your beautiful dress, not notice that you are wearing clear bra straps. Another option would be to have bra cups sewn into your gown.

If you feel you need straps-QVC sells beaded, decoarative bra straps-now you would want to only use something that would "go" with your dress. If it did not "go", that would look worse than the clear straps. I know my daughter who, is small busted, feels she needs bra straps as she fears the bra and the top of the gown will fall down and she would be exposed.

I have also heard of gals who "make" their own strapless bra by using duct tape. To me though that would be painful removing-so I would never. OUCH!

I don't like the look or feel of the clear straps and find strapless bras very uncomfortable. I sew bras cups into the dress. Various styles of cups are available at fabric stores. It is very easy to do.

However, you may also have this done professionally by a drycleaner, alterrations person, or bridal shop.

I am wearing a formal gown with thin shoulder straps, do any of you wear a bra with the clear plastic straps? I never have and really feel odd keeping them on the bra. Any advice would be helpful.

Sandy

It depends on the dress and bra. My mom wore a long black formal dress last time. It had thin spaghetti straps and she found a bra that had rhinestone straps. It just looked like it was part of the dress. Clear straps would have looked wrong.

If you can get away with a strapless--no extra straps--that's the way to go. Or, if you have a bra where the straps don't LOOK like bra straps. I know a lot of younger folks don't mind showing their straps, but it's totally tacky looking to have your underwear hanging out!

Another option is this: http://www.nubra.net/

They're stick-on bra cups. Easy to use, although I'm not going to say that removing them feels good (it certainly can't be as bad as duct tape :eek:, but it still doesn't feel good). But it looks good on, and does the job.

I'm a big fan of these! I always wear them with dresses or tops that a bra will be too obvious in. I like to call them my "stick on boobs" :p:p:D You can leave them unclipped for a more "natural" look, or clip them together for a real emphasis on your bustline! :) They're great!!

Archived