Mississippi River Cruises

stugots

Have you looked into RiverBarge Excursion lines. They offer trips on the Mississippi.

I have never used them before so I can't tell you how they are..but my mom has been wanting to go on a trip on the Ohio River offered through this company for a while now.

Majestic America Line is out of business and the boats are for sale. The Empress of the North (Alaska and Columbia river) has been returned to the Martime Administration. The American Queen (Mississippi river) has ended her season last Saturday and if there´s no buyer she´s to be returned to Maritime Adiministration too. The exemption of the Delta Queen did expire Oct 31 and we´re still fighting to get it renewed. The Mississippi Queen is not ready to operate as at least one deck has been stripped for a major rebuilding which never has been finished by Majestic America Line. Delta Queen and Mississippi Queen are currently located at Perry Street Wharf in New Orleans. The whereabouts of the American Queen are not yet confirmed. It is highly unlikely that any of the three Queens will operate in 2009.

The only other option for a Mississippi river cruise is RiverBarge. They do have only one vessel. If you and your group want to go in May 2009 you have to book pretty fast. They might be fully booked already.

steamboats

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I went to River Barge site and it was closed down. The site said they had to discontinue their operation due to soft sales. Wow-so far the steam boats on the Mississippi have gone and now this. It looks like cruise west or nothing. Anyone know any other lines sailing on the Columbia River? I'm looking for a small ship with entertainment.:confused:

rosey1946,

Yes, RiverBarge announced this a couple of days prior to Christmas. So for 2009 there won´t be any regular overnight passenger cruiseship on the Mississippi river system anymore.

As for the Columbia river Cruise West might be the only alternative.

steamboats

You might want to check out Lindblad Expeditions for their Pacific Northwest cruises. We sailed with Lindblad on their ship the Sea Bird on the Sea of Cortez and Copper Canyon trip some years ago. Lindblad is a quality operation with expert naturalist guides. The evenings often involved talks by the naturalists on board. We highly recommend this line.

Jean

You might also look at American Cruise Lines. We have been on two of their 1 week cruises; Maine Coasts and Islands and New England Islands. Both were Deluxe voyages with great staff and food. Our Maine trip was an inaguration cruise for a new ship and was also a Lobster Fest. You could have, and I did, have lobster three times a day. Small ship cruises are great. The company also has a new line, Pearl Seas Cruises with a larger ship that cruises in the Canadian Maritimes and the Caribbean. If you're interested in American Cruse Lines after looking at their website, I can give you some interesting information regarding their trips.

Jean

Archived