Just off the OOsterdam

Seacruise

We just got off the Noordam and the steward claimed he had 30 cabins to tend. He looked tired but never complained and supplied fruit when we asked for it. They were still using trays at the Lido. It was our first time on Holland America and really enjoyed it.

We just got off the Noordam and the steward claimed he had 30 cabins to tend. He looked tired but never complained and supplied fruit when we asked for it. They were still using trays at the Lido. It was our first time on Holland America and really enjoyed it.

Like I said mine looked like a zombie the last 2 days of the cruse and while he didn't complain. I think the problem is going to be is the Stewards are only going to do 1 or 2 contracts and likely say they have had enough and won't be back. Then the word will get out and others will give it a second thought and say I don't want to do that job.

The problem will then be that they will run out of quality Stewards in time, so then what.

Phil

The problem will then be that they will run out of quality Stewards in time, so then what. Phil

I rent a nice condo on Sanibel island for 2-3 weeks, almost every year. In season, this costs about $2000-2500, a week. If I want daily housekeeping, I incur an incremental houskeeping charge.

I rent a nice condo on Sanibel island for 2-3 weeks, almost every year. In season, this costs about $2000-2500, a week. If I want daily housekeeping, I incur an incremental houskeeping charge.

Isn't that the new increase in the "service charge" we just had? :D

I have to say though one of the changes made recently was a new Manager in head office for on board entertainment and as I understand it he came from Caesars Palace in Las Vegas. I must say this was one cruise in along time that I really liked the entertainment.

Phil

The Entertainment was standard for this cruise - the guest entertainers were old HAL Standards - Joel Mason, James Ceilen (I think that's how you spell his last name - who previously spent 2 years with all of his stuff on the Zuiderdam) and Derek the comedian. The shows were the same that the Oosterdam has had for the last 2 years. The Manager of Entertainment is still Bill Prince and has been for years (in fact he co-produces the shows that HAL has on board, therefore they can't replace him), there is no mythic new guy from Caesar's Palace - not sure where that came from. Eric Holland was fired, he did not quit, and Jason Venner is quiting for a variety of reasons, but mainly that he is upset that HAL no longer considers him #1 - that's gone to Shane Michaels who brought out the Eurodam.

The Oosterdam was wonderful. My cabin steward said that overall there looked like there was an increase in cabins to the guests that he attended, but he now splits the total number with his partner and they each cover about 10-11 per day, which means for him that he was done earlier in the day (very nice in port - especially when they are all running over to WalMart). I would recommend this 7-day Mexican cruise to anyone that wants to get away. It was wonderful and the crew was fantastic - and I LOVED that there were no trays. All those people out there that think that the HAL world will stop revolving if there are no trays, get over it and made a second trip to the line :) It's just fine.

They must have started the "no tray" idea in the Lido on the Nov. 8 cruise cause we did get to use trays on the Nov. 1 - 8 cruise. I like using them. It makes carrying your items much easier such as carrying your plates and drinks at the same time so you don't have to keep going back and forth. I wish they wouldn't have discontinued the trays. If people want to eat less then they should just do so whether trays or not.

The Manager of Entertainment is still Bill Prince and has been for years (in fact he co-produces the shows that HAL has on board' date=' therefore they can't replace him), there is no mythic new guy from Caesar's Palace - not sure where that came from.

[/quote']

That came from Jason during the Stage tour in the question and answer session that took place on the last day in the Vista Lounge.

From what I have seen in the last several years this was by far the best entertainment in the last 3 years I have been seen on HAL. I stopped going to the shows because it just didn't entertain me. So either something has changed or I was on a few dud cruises in the last 3 years. The last being 2 weeks In July.

Phil

I'm sure it is done for good reasons, but wonder if it will end up more dangerous. I cannot envisage carrying a bowl of soup plus a plate with a bread roll (actually not keen on the idea of carrying a bowl of soup without a tray really). So I would need to get the bowl of soup, then wander off to get the roll, then the drink and then later in the meal to get some fruit. The passengers will be moving round much more with this system. I also agree with the person who mentioned hot plates. As I say could be dangerous and more plates dropped.

I only saw 1 plate dropped the whole week and it was a table Steward that dropped it when he was clearing a table.

Phil

...Jason Venner is quiting for a variety of reasons' date=' but mainly that he is upset that HAL no longer considers him #1 - that's gone to Shane Michaels who brought out the Eurodam.

[/quote']

It's a shame that Jason is quitting. He is so much better than Shane, IMO.

But even if he weren't, there should be room for the both of them in the organization. Jason's contributions should be recognized by headquarters.

Jason Venner is quiting for a variety of reasons' date=' but mainly that he is upset that HAL no longer considers him #1 - that's gone to Shane Michaels who brought out the Eurodam.[/quote']OMG - I so hope this is an mis-communication. :eek: Shane is the only cruise director we've given a LOW score to. On our E'dam cruise what I'd wanted to write in our comments: 'Shane is the best CD ever - just kidding. Shane is a good CD - just kidding. Shane is a passable CD - still kidding. I will VERY happy to NEVER sail with Shane again - sorry, NOT kidding.' Unfortunately, I just didn't have room with all the other comments needed.

Archived