What To Do In Dominica?

bandit0000

Hi,

Please can you help. After reading all of your wonderful comments regarding Domina I am sure I must be missing out on something.

When I went last year I must say it was my least favourite port. In fact I would go so far as to say where the coach dropped us in the town I found it quite intimidating and scary. Some man tried to lead us off somewhere, then when we wouldn't go he got quite aggressive and asked for money.

So can anyone suggest anywhere. We are not really the action type, more relaxing on a beach type. I really want to change my opinion on this port as many people say it is their favourite so any suggestions would be greatly received. We are going on the Dawn Princess on 23rd. November.

Thankyou,

Lisa (U.K.)

Hi,

Please can you help. After reading all of your wonderful comments regarding Domina I am sure I must be missing out on something.

When I went last year I must say it was my least favourite port. In fact I would go so far as to say where the coach dropped us in the town I found it quite intimidating and scary. Some man tried to lead us off somewhere, then when we wouldn't go he got quite aggressive and asked for money.

So can anyone suggest anywhere. We are not really the action type, more relaxing on a beach type. I really want to change my opinion on this port as many people say it is their favourite so any suggestions would be greatly received. We are going on the Dawn Princess on 23rd. November.

Thankyou,

Lisa (U.K.)

I would say, don't miss the opportunity to take an island tour and see the highlights. I think that those that chose to just walk across the street and shop vs. seeing the island were the ones that didn't care for that port on our trip, too. We made it a point on each of our ports to schedule stuff that let us see the best of land and sea and we weren't disappointed at all. Dominica is really beautiful!

• 4 weeks later...

I have to say that Dominica is our least favorite port as well....and we have gotten beyond the city where the ship docks. We took some excursion where locals poled us in a boat through the rain forest. He didn't seem to want to be poling at all and truth be told it was rather boring. Then we stopped in the jungle at some shack for a brief libation. We had to exit the boat up a slippery muddy slope and walk around in mud just to reach this shack. Not a great time! Another time in Dominica we hiked to the Emerald Pool and waterfall. It was a nice walk through the woods but nothing very special. We are going there again and I am at a total loss as to what to do. I wish there was a nice beach with restrooms, bar and restaurant, lounge chairs and umbrellas....anyone know of any? Otherwise I think I might just remain on board the ship.

Sorry you haven't enjoyed the island ronzoco.... We found it to be so wonderful! Alot of folks said they had a great time River Tubing, so you might want to try that out since you've done the island tour and seen the pool and falls.

Thanks for the suggestion Pholter. I have one question about the river tubing....how cold is the water? We are Floridians and if the water is colder than 85 degrees we won't be able to get into the river! We keep our pool at 88 which is what we prefer. Not sure we could tolerate anything colder than 85.

• 5 weeks later...

For the golfers out there, CdC offers the "Teeth of the Dog" course. I think that's the one that cruise lines with on-board golf pros use as the golf excursion at this port. It can be a serious challenge to any golfer, and is absolutely beautiful.

Hi,

Thankyou,

Lisa (U.K.)

We have booked a tour through Ken's Hinterland Tours, but if that doesn't sound like fun to you, I've read about people going to the Fort Young Hotel for the day (about a 5 min. taxi ride from the pier). You might be able to purchase a day pass and use their facilities. I heard the buffet is very good. I think their web site is http://www.fortyounghotel.com

• 10 years later...
Thanks for the suggestion Pholter. I have one question about the river tubing....how cold is the water? We are Floridians and if the water is colder than 85 degrees we won't be able to get into the river! We keep our pool at 88 which is what we prefer. Not sure we could tolerate anything colder than 85.

Reading your comments gave me a good laugh. You sound like me, I`m the same way.