Barbados Bus

wack001

Hi,

Yes there is a bus terminal just a few blocks from the pier along Princess Alice Highway, and there's a bunch of buses always waiting to go so you can't miss it. It's not the only terminal though, there's another one a mile or two into Bridgetown. I used the terminal near the pier to go north to Folkestone beach on the Sp-Town (Speightstown or some spelling like that) line. There's no map but we just asked the driver's assistant if it passed by, and he was even helpful enough to stop the driver and point us off (though there is good signage all over the island so we saw it.) You could probably do the same for Harrison's Cave. It's 0.75 US$ per person, each way, no matter where you're going and you pay the driver's assistant when he comes by after the bus gets going. We took the yellow buses (privately owned but with fixed prices, I believe) because there was more than the larger blue ones run by the island. There's plenty of bus stop signs clearly saying "into the city" or "out of the city" (referring to Bridgetown, at least in our area) so it's really easy. Every driver seems to have the same homemade CD of strange pop/hip hop music constantly interrupted by a DJ commenting and mocking the music. It's loud and weird, but that's all part of the experience:). If you look at a map Folkestone beach took 45 min (including the short wait for the bus) each way, to help estimate time. It's too affordable to pass up. Good luck.

Folks anyone tried using the local bus, there is the bus station about 2 blocks from the pier?

Trying to go to Harrison cave + Concorde experience.

Assistance would be appreciated

Bus-ing it to or from Harrison's Cave could prove awfully erratic and time-wasting.

Not recommended. The Welchman Hall/Harrisons Cave area is out in da sticks!

Concorde? I'd taxi it on the way OUT -and catch the bus back IN

- there's a bus shelter out of the road right near the airport Entry-roundabout

and catching one shouldn't take you more than 15 mins. I hope

Any bus passing there heading West will terminate somewhere in Bridgetown,

prob. on the other(Eastern) side of the city to where your ship is docked ..on the Western side of the City

but at least you'll be close(1.5 miles...so contemplate catching a cab across town?)

Bus-ing it to or from Harrison's Cave could prove awfully erratic and time-wasting.

Not recommended. The Welchman Hall/Harrisons Cave area is out in da sticks!

Concorde? I'd taxi it on the way OUT -and catch the bus back IN

- there's a bus shelter out of the road right near the airport Entry-roundabout

and catching one shouldn't take you more than 15 mins. I hope

Any bus passing there heading West will terminate somewhere in Bridgetown,

prob. on the other(Eastern) side of the city to where your ship is docked ..on the Western side of the City

but at least you'll be close(1.5 miles...so contemplate catching a cab across town?)

Finally, thanks for good info, I am on a limited budget and wanted to do the bus thing since the port is so close to the bus terminal. I was thinking about a rental car as another option but I hate to drive in another country but with limited time what do you suggest, crusie excursions are a rip off, Is Harrison cave doable?

thanks.

cruisingbob

I'm on a limited budget and wanted to do the bus thing

since the port is so close to ONE OF the bus terminals. ===> The Western terminal is close to Port

There's another bus terminal on the far(Eastern) side of the city

opposite where the Port is, on the Western side.

Buses to and from Eastern destinations like CRANE, Airport/CONCORDE

use this Eastern terminal at Fairchild Street

Don't confuse the two!

There's another bus terminal on the far(Eastern) side of the city

opposite where the Port is, on the Western side.

Buses to and from Eastern destinations like CRANE, Airport/CONCORDE

use this Eastern terminal at Fairchild Street

Don't confuse the two!

Thanks, I assume Fairchild street is close to the terminal.

How about buses to Harrison Cave, and is the wildlife refuge close to harrisons cave?, am I trying to do too much?

Archived