OPEN LETTER TO Mr Stein Kruse, Holland America Cruise Lines Ref MS Veendam assistance

JimVrhovac

Below is a letter that Ruth and I are forwarding to Holland America commending the assistance that the Master and the crew of the MS Veendam gave us in getting charitable supplies to Guatemala:

Thru:

Ms. Sydney Lenor

Guest Relations Department

Holland America Cruise Line

300 Elliott Ave

Seattle, Washington 98117

To:

Mr. Stein Kruse

CEO

Holland America Cruise Line

300 Elliott Ave

Seattle, Washington 98117

Dear Mr. Kruse,

Ruth (my spouse) and I just cruised on the MS Veendam (November 16th thru November 23rd) on the Western Caribbean itinerary. We have written this letter to commend the actions of Captain Albert Jan Schoonderbeek, The officers, and the crew of the MS Veendam.

For several years we have been bringing school and medical supplies to Livingston, Guatemala while cruising on HAL ships. This past year we were able to acquire an extraordinary amount of equipment and supplies and bringing them to Livingston would not have been possible without the permission and assistance of the MS Veendam.

We contacted Captain Albert via email and he gave us permission to bring everything with us and offered us assistance. Nelly (Chief Housekeeper) coordinated with us throughout the process. They were able to obtain permission for us to unload the U Haul trailer in the stores delivery area and load them directly into luggage containers. Sandy, with Nolan Ship Agents, met us at the dock to insure that everything went smoothly, and it did. The containers were stored until we reached Guatemala and then crew members brought them off the ship and assisted us in loading them into Gus’s two boats. The ships Purser took care of all the administrative work in getting the supplies into country and performed admirably. There were so many crew members involved in the entire process that it is impossible to list them individually.

A recap of the supplies and equipment that we were able to deliver is as follows:

7 complete computers

8 boxes of computer supplies and equipment

18 boxes medical supplies

3 wheelchairs

7 walkers

17 boxes of school supplies

It would not have been possible for the children of Livingston to receive these supplies without the assistance of your company and the individuals that crew you ships.

You are to be commended for allowing your ships Masters the latitude to participate in projects such as this. Actions such as these are one of the reasons that we are loyal Holland America Cruise Line Customers.

Sincerely,

Ruth & James Vrhovac & the children of Livingston, Guatemala

JVrhoac@AOL.com

NOTE:

We will be posting a copy of the letter on the Cruise Critic Boards

We will try to post some pictures that we took at a later date..

Ruth and I were the guests in Suite 023.

We are portunate enough to be in a position to acquire these materials and arrange for their transportation to Guatemala. Without the Holland America ships to transport these items it would not have been possible to do this.

The credit really goes to Holland America and the Master and Crew of the MS Veendam

Ruth & Jim

Will try to post some pictures when get organized at home

Jim,

A job well done! Wow! I knew you often brought supplies, but I thought they were slippers and I imagined school supplies as pencils and paper. I had no idea of the extent of what you and Ruth were bringing/donating with all the complete computers and medical supplies.

Congratulations

Holly and I met Jim and Ruth last year when the first brought stuff to Livingston. They knocked our socks off with their ability to pull stuff like this off. I'm pretty sure Jim is a magician but he claimed it was just a matter of knowing who to ask \ call. He wouldn't give me the name of the book that contains this info so, like a magician, he keeps the "How it's done" info to himself.

Holly and I wish you and Ruth a terrific holiday season and hope that Ruth is well with her back issues.

Holly and Larry

This is just wonderful!

I remember reading recently on Captain Albert's blog that supplies for the school had filled 2 tenders to the brim. I don't know if that was the same cruise or another, but regardless, the help that's being provided is a wonderfully generous effort that HAL is helping to facilitate.

Thanks so much, Jim and Ruth, for sharing your letter.

You two should be commended for all the wonderful work you do for those less fortunate. And, as other people have said, HAL's participation in things like this is one of the reasons I so much enjoy sailing her ships.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Extraordinary !! Bravo ,to you both and Holland America for providing such wonderful gifts. How happy they must have been to receive such needed items. Well done!

I am humbled when I think of how much time I spent on making sure my cruise outfits were just right.:o

Archived