Carnival Victory 11-2 / 11-9 Review

cruiselover00029

Yes, I saw that thread, and I responded too!

Don't let the taxi drivers tell you where to go.

Surfside gives him a little something for taking you there.

he doesn't give a damn where you want to go

he goes where the money's waiting for him.

This coulda been you...walking Rockley Beach

Maybe 20 years ago but thanks for the compliment. I will be posting a pic of Dominica on the "Best Pic" thread. It isn't quite your quality of photograhy but I think it is pretty. Thanks for the reply, I'll let "nasty take away my dream day" girl read it!!!! Kaboochi

Here are three juvenile Hawksbill Turtle pics I got early this morning..

standing near the sea rocks on the point, where I go to take ship pics

This turtle was no more than about 6 ft. out from the rocky shoreline

keeping 2-3 ft. under

as he/she munched on weaweeds growing on the rocks.

Turtle-011.jpg

at the surface briefly

Turtle-08.jpg

coming up for air

Turtle-07.jpg

Aplmac,

It is snowing here today so I guess we won't see those beautiful sea turtles until May. We too live on the coast but we are in Rhode Island and the sea life won't be apparent until early June. Love the pics - another reasonto go back to Barbados. Kaboochi

Aplmac-

Thanks soooo much for all of your fabulous pictures on here!!! I looked at them for months before we sailed and I am looking at them again now that we have been back for a couple of weeks (sailed on 1/25) and I wish I was back in the beautiful Caribbean! How lucky you are to live in paradise! We loved the cruise! It was AMAZING!!! However, in Barbados there were 6 other ships!!! It was ridiculous! There were way too many people in the cruise terminal! To top it off, my mom and I didn't really have a plan so we made the mistake of asking a taxi driver what beach we should go to. Ok, so that wasn't a total mistake- he took us to Pebble Beach in Carlisle Bay which was beautiful and not crowded. I wish we would have gone to Rockley though. So the mistake was not agreeing on a price with the cab driver before hand. Let's just say that the price that we paid for about a 5-10 min drive would have been enough to pay for an excursion through the boat for one person. It was not cheap. The beach was gorgeous though. I would love to go back to Barbados to see all the island has to offer. I have attached a few pictures of the beautiful beach we went to.

1957044346_Cruise125.jpg.0480d3ca84171ed5432b45f35b1a5086.jpg

1811266669_Cruise127.jpg.b5a7010b3f5028c2db34656ce19d3364.jpg

999646677_Cruise038.jpg.c2a00b216ca5ff5e709547285252aab3.jpg

WOW! What an amazing thread, from all of the beautiful pictures to the tips on where to go and what to do (and although you mostly talk of Barbados, you give excellent ideas on almost every port!) I think I just sat here for the last 2.5 hours and read/looked at this entire thread in one sitting!! We are on this ship for our honeymoon sailing May 24. I was a little nervous about it being so port intensive (we want to "see" things, but we also just want a lot of relaxation) and I am so stoked at the thought that there will be no lines to get food and hardly anyone on the ship when we want to just lay at the pool without a lot of people around. We are also on deck 6, with a balcony - cabin 6415, almost right smack mid-ship - and we can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aplmac-

Thanks soooo much for all of your fabulous pictures on here!!! I looked at them for months before we sailed and I am looking at them again now that we have been back for a couple of weeks (sailed on 1/25) and I wish I was back in the beautiful Caribbean! How lucky you are to live in paradise! We loved the cruise! It was AMAZING!!! However, in Barbados there were 6 other ships!!! It was ridiculous! There were way too many people in the cruise terminal! To top it off, my mom and I didn't really have a plan so we made the mistake of asking a taxi driver what beach we should go to. Ok, so that wasn't a total mistake- he took us to Pebble Beach in Carlisle Bay which was beautiful and not crowded. I wish we would have gone to Rockley though. So the mistake was not agreeing on a price with the cab driver before hand. Let's just say that the price that we paid for about a 5-10 min drive would have been enough to pay for an excursion through the boat for one person. It was not cheap. The beach was gorgeous though. I would love to go back to Barbados to see all the island has to offer. I have attached a few pictures of the beautiful beach we went to.

Here's another one, taken at Pebbles Beach, right where you were.

0023.jpg

The beach go that name from the old Pebble Restaurant on the site right there.

Aplmac's recovering from minor surgery yesterday

I'm sore, but Doctors say I'll live :D:D

It was a hernia problem...still, it hurts today!

Yesterday, I did the tour of our George Washington House, here on the island..

at Bush Hill, The Garrison

GWhouse-30.jpg

It's on the outskirts of Bridgetown, on the way to the South Coast and Accra/Rockley

so if your plan includes that beach....

Just outseide the kitchen door is the usual Old Barbadian water filtration system

DripStone-23.jpg

where water caught off the roof(or from wherever)

was introduced into the uppermost limestone-coral container

where is them slowly dripped its way thru to the mid-section container

and then finally into the marble collecter at bottom

-for use in cooking or drinking

Young Geo. was only nineteen

when he and an older brother suffering from Tuberculosis

came down to Barbados for a spell, to try to improve the sick brother's health for awhile.

The tour of the house is interesting, showing how different

- and how much simpler life was in the 1700s.

No Xbox, no AA batteries, no Internet, no CNN..

NO HEELIES...OH!

What awesome photos!! Thanks for sharing. ===> My pleasure!

We will be on this ship the end of August.

How is the weather in the Southern Carb at that time of year?

In a word HOT.

Muggy sticky.

Air conditioning is suddenly a very desirable commodity.

Seas usually calm to very calm

It can be rainy too, but that depends on the day.

Hot you can depend on -unless it's a rainy day, in which case it's not so bad, but steamy instead.

You'll live thru it! :D

And if you want to see The Crane at its very liquid-turquoise best

there's no better time of year to catch it looking like this..

Crane-778.jpg

-notice there's no wave action!

UNreal for the Crane, which is normally rather surfy

But it does get like this for a few short weeks out of every year

and you're on schedule to catch it during this sea-quiet time.

I suppose it will be "hot and muggy" in mid-July also. But being from the Memphis area, we are certainly used to that! It will be high 90's here when we leave.:eek:

Is July also the "rainy season"? And if so...is that daily or just "every now and then"?

Love the "turtle pics"...I might be swimming with that little fellow this summer!:D

I suppose it will be "hot and muggy" in mid-July also. ===> Not so muggy, yet

But being from the Memphis area, we are certainly used to that!

It will be high 90's here when we leave.:eek: ===> never gets that hot here

Is July also the "rainy season"? ===> Beginning.

And if so...is that daily or just "every now and then"? ===> Who knows?

Love the "turtle pics"...I might be swimming with that little fellow this summer!:D

Rainy season starts around Juiy and goes thru to Nov. Dec. most years.

Hard to tell though, given the crazy weather these days..

We had a drenching Wet Season last year 2008 -- Sept.,Oct.,Nov were just awful.

Got a bit better in Dec. and Jan but even now in late Feb. it's still not as dry as it usually is

but that's not all bad trust me...the island's greeen.

It can get awfully parched-brown and depressing by June

I started reading up on this cruise through CC after I had booked it. The time of year couldn't be helped, but I began to wonder if the area we were visiting was...maybe...not the best for a July cruise. Your post certainly does not indicate that.

Now...fingers crossed for a beautiful July in Barbados!

(and in St Thomas, St Lucia, Dominica, St Kitts, and Antigua);)

Since this thread seems to be predominantly about Victory, I thought I would ask this here since I can't seem to find the answer elsewhere....

Does Victory have a sushi bar like some other Carnival ships? I know I've seen it on the deck plans, but then I've read that it does NOT have one. Any recent people having sailed that can confirm that they have added a sushi bar? (And yes, I know that it is only open certain hours).

Thanks!

Since this thread seems to be predominantly about Victory, I thought I would ask this here since I can't seem to find the answer elsewhere....

Does Victory have a sushi bar like some other Carnival ships? I know I've seen it on the deck plans, but then I've read that it does NOT have one. Any recent people having sailed that can confirm that they have added a sushi bar? (And yes, I know that it is only open certain hours).

Thanks!

Yes they do. DH had it on 2/1/09 Victory cruise. I believe it is on deck 5 but I'm not positive.

aplmac...I'm staring out the window at 6 inches of snow.

Some new Barbados pics would really improve my day.

Hate to impose...but you are "the Man".:cool:

Thank you for your kind words...much appreciated.

I had hernia repair surgery on Fri 20th. :eek: -which has cut my speed and vigor considerably.

Oh it's been a fun week for me, in almost constant pain

specially now there's a hematoma involved

which will prolong recovery from what shoulda been 2-3 wks....now a bit longer.:cool:

I have an Apr. 21st. Carnival Victory cruise coming up and I really want to be in half-decent shape for that

OK so you guys want new Barbados pics and the truth is I haven't been out shooting for awhile now

(weather hasn't been too pictureque to bother)

but I'll dig around and see if there might be one or two that I haven't shown before...hmmmm.

aplmac... Some new Barbados pics would really improve my day.

Hate to impose...but you are "the Man".:cool:

Would St.Lucia do?

Here's an aerial I took

out the back window of the commercial inter-island flight on a turbo-prop

St_Lucia-868.jpg

showing the Northern bit of St.Lucia/Rodney Bay

and here's one of St.Vincent, showing Young Isl. just offshore

SVG-833.jpg

George Washington stayed some time here as a young man

accompanying his sickly bro.

GWhouse-30.jpg

It's quite an interesting tour of the house and small air-conditioned upstairs Museum

..with one of the old 3-stage dripstone water filters right outside the kitchen!

DripStone-23.jpg

Maybe you've seen this already?

StownBeach-82.jpg

Speightstown, Barbados (up Northern end of the island)

showing normal calm-water conditions.

If you hit the main shopping area in Broad Street

chances are you will discover this not far away

BtownBwalk-796.jpg

BTown-506.jpg

BTown-523.jpg

This waterfront boardwalk area runs parallel to Broad Street, just 75 yds. South

we have a flight leaving out of SanJuan at 11:30am

will this be a problem to make?

I have read that some people didnt get off the ship until 12:30?!

the itinerary shows us arriving very early into San Juan at 7am, usually we can disembark around 8ish, we are hoping to do this also?

We never usually have to fly home directly after a cruise, but my daughter has to return home from spring break, and usually we sail out of port canaveral and its a short 1 hr drive home.

Oh we are hoping our flight will not be a problem. Any input?

Aplmac - You live on a wonderful island. Geez, I should be so lucky too! I need out of this cold climate and FAST!! I've been to Barbados twice now and I love it there. The last time I was there we went to Tamarind Cove based on our Taxi Driver's Recommendation. All I can say is we LOVED IT!! There were 4 of us that went there and we each gave the taxi driver $7 per person tip just for recommending that we go there.

Archived