I need some help, please!

jimbug

We are currently booked on the 3/13/05 sailing of the Carnival Pride to the Mexican Riviera. However, I was browsing around cruise prices today and found that I can also take the Diamond Princess or the RCCL Vision of the Seas (all same itinerary) for around the same price.

I've only sailed on the Sapphire Princess (Alaska, 6/04) and *loved* it. This will be my mother's first cruise and I want her to fall in love with cruising just as I did last summer! Here's the catch - on the Pride we're in a balcony for the same price we could get an inside on the Diamond or an oceanview on the Vision of the Seas.

Someone give me some guidance on what you would do! I'm having a hard time deciding between the three.....I know that the Diamond is a "sure bet" as far as being pleased with everything, but I'd kind of like to experience some other lines' offerings, as well. Is Carnival really a "step down" from Princess, even on a newer ship? Will I enjoy the RCCL experience just as much on a Vision-class ship as I would on the amazingly huge Voyager-class that everyone raves about?

Please help--thanks so much!

Jimbug...

I think the most relevant questions would be - how old is your mom and what types of vacations is she use to?

I have sailed on both the top classes of Carnival and Princess and I prefer Carnival. I found that Princess generally caters to a higher-class, older, stuffier crowd. Where Carnival offers top-notch service with fun and an upbeat atmosphere.

If your mom is older and is use to traveling first-class and her idea of a good time is high-noon tea and bridge, then Princess is probably a good bet. However, if she enjoys a little variety with a splash of fun - then stay with Carnival. I know you'll love the balcony room much more than an inside cabin.

Hope this helps...

I took the Vision of the seas last year to Alaska. It was my second RCCL cruise. I have taken 7 Carnival Cruises and I would pick Carnival over RCCL anyday. Only reason I picked RCCL in the past was because they went where I wanted to go for cheaper.

JimBug.....where ya been? I've been looking for you in other threads regarding our embarking the Pride on March 13th!

As far as my opinion goes on your question here.....stick with Carnival and stick with the balcony.

Christi Q.

Balcony is the clincher..! If Mom doesn't want to see the hairy chest contest, there are ton's of other things to do.. Tho' those poolside escapades can be a load of fun, even for the elderly.. :eek:

I've loved each CCL cruise I've been on, and I'm really inching close to 60..! :) (don't tell my Sweetie; she still thinks I'm 45!!)

Getting' older, but I'm never going to grow up!! :p

Jimbug-

Your mom's cruise experience is not going to be your cruise experience. She doesn't have anything to compare the Pride to. Even if you decide you prefer Princess, I'll bet that she loves cruising just because it's a cruise.

I personally love the Pride and think she is a beautiful ship. I would certainly prefer a balcony over an inside. If your mom loves cruising, but expressed a preference afterward for a more sedate environment or more fine dining or whatever, then you can make a recommendation based on your experiences. Carnival has introduced more people to cruising than any other line--they will do a great job of getting Mom hooked.

Have an excellent trip!

we just did the Diamond Princess on the Riviera. We did not have a better time on her than on the Pride. We sailed the Pride during her Inaugural season when she was in the Caribbean. Do the Pride. She is my favorite ship so far... If you have any specific questions you would like answered, please feel free to post them-

Archived