Princess Coral Excursion - Highlights Of Old Panama By Night

travelingman

I have this posted on the Panama Canal Board but have gotten no reponses so I thought I would try here.

We will be on the Princess Coral docking at Fuerte Amador, Panama from 5 PM to 10 PM.

This is one of the few excurisons offered for this port.

I would like to find out if anyone has taken this excursion and if so did they think it was worth it?

How much time was spent on the bus just riding around versus getting off the bus and walking?

Thanks,

For me it was worth it.

If your intinerary is like mine was, this brief night-time window is the only opportunity to step on land in Panama.

Also, I wouldn't recommend going far from the tender landing at night on your own at all.

If you like history, then it is a must do.

• Stopped in "Panama Viejo", which is the ruins of the first Panama City, and got to walk around. burned by Francis Drake, and now a world heritage site.
  • Went to a General Panama history museum.
  • Drove by Manuel Noriega's old house.
  • Stopped in "Colonial" Panama City, which is the old downtown. Very interesting and tour through the Panama Canal museum.
  • Also drove right through the High-rise section of town which is quite surprising.

For $44 and only 4 hours a lot was covered. No time wasted "shopping".

Since there were so few alternatives, I'm glad I did it.

Have a great time on the Coral, my favorite ship!

I should also mention:

It's warm (or hot) in Panama the year around. The fact that this excursion is in the much cooler evening can be a big plus!

I would say if you don't expect it the be the "end all" of excursions, then you will probably be happy you went. Again, the choices are very limited and remember plenty of Canal itineraries don't allow the choice to go ashore at all in Panama.

My son-in-law is from Panama City and he and my daughter went there for their honeymoon (and so she could meet some of his relatives). When they returned, she told me that you do not want to venture out at night on your own. Either go with locals or on a tour.

Archived