Belize BLUE HOLE

Kimmer727

As I read through this I see uncomfortable ride to the Blue Hole and then not so much. So is it not worth the expense to see and is it as nice as the pictures you can look at online? I would love to see that it looks different as you approach but maybe with the heavy wave action it would be hard to get the visual. Not a diver myself so if it isn't worth snorkeling then I really don't know if I want to try for it. Any ideas would be appreciated, the friends we are traveling with are real excited about this but me not so much.

As I read through this I see uncomfortable ride to the Blue Hole and then not so much. So is it not worth the expense to see and is it as nice as the pictures you can look at online? I would love to see that it looks different as you approach but maybe with the heavy wave action it would be hard to get the visual. Not a diver myself so if it isn't worth snorkeling then I really don't know if I want to try for it. Any ideas would be appreciated, the friends we are traveling with are real excited about this but me not so much.

Hi there

I'm not sure how you read "uncomfortable", but let me assure you it was far from that. :D The pilot (owner) loves Belize and is proud to give you a very comfortable ride of a life time. The ride includes departing the mainland and flying over and along the reef line and the cays. The water is crystal clear, and from the plane you can see the wondrous color variations of the blue and green ocean, with the depths of the obvious reef formations flickering below. It is incredible. As you approach the blue hole itself...it's breath taking. This is HUGE and is visible from space, so to fly over it is truly remarkable. This is a view and perspective you can't get from atop the water, nor can you truly experience it from photos. (Did you REALLY ask if seeing it in person was as good as looking at it online???:eek: lol)

You can't snorkel it. It's a "hole" and goes down hundreds of feet. You couldn't see to the bottom. Even divers are merely scaling the wall for as far down as they want to see the assorted changes in creatures as the depths increase.

You can zip line anywhere in the Caribbean. You can snorkel and dive just about anywhere too. There are zoos and ruins speckled hither and yon. There is only one blue hole, like this, in this area.

It's a bucket list thing. Enjoy!:D

Hi there

I'm not sure how you read "uncomfortable", but let me assure you it was far from that. :D The pilot (owner) loves Belize and is proud to give you a very comfortable ride of a life time. The ride includes departing the mainland and flying over and along the reef line and the cays. The water is crystal clear, and from the plane you can see the wondrous color variations of the blue and green ocean, with the depths of the obvious reef formations flickering below. It is incredible. As you approach the blue hole itself...it's breath taking. This is HUGE and is visible from space, so to fly over it is truly remarkable. This is a view and perspective you can't get from atop the water, nor can you truly experience it from photos. (Did you REALLY ask if seeing it in person was as good as looking at it online???:eek: lol)

You can't snorkel it. It's a "hole" and goes down hundreds of feet. You couldn't see to the bottom. Even divers are merely scaling the wall for as far down as they want to see the assorted changes in creatures as the depths increase.

You can zip line anywhere in the Caribbean. You can snorkel and dive just about anywhere too. There are zoos and ruins speckled hither and yon. There is only one blue hole, like this, in this area.

Wow, Very well said....You need to get a job at the Belize tourism Dept.

Hi there

and soon (december) to be crossed-off mine! can't wait!! and reading this, even more excited!! just one thing to add - or maybe it's delete: in your next to last line "there is only one blue hole, like this, in this area" - I think it's more like "there is no other blue hole like this anywhere on earth! (at least that I've ever heard of..) anyone know of or ever heard of another anywhere?

agree w/wadethegringo: very well said!

Wow, Very well said....You need to get a job at the Belize tourism Dept.

Awww thanks!! :o Wouldn't having a job being the expert on a place you love just be the bomb?? :D Question is...which place would I pick?? :rolleyes:

and soon (December) to be crossed-off mine! can't wait!! and reading this, even more excited!! just one thing to add - or maybe it's delete: in your next to last line "there is only one blue hole, like this, in this area" - I think it's more like "there is no other blue hole like this anywhere on earth! (at least that I've ever heard of..) anyone know of or ever heard of another anywhere?

agree w/wadethegringo: very well said!

Actually...there are. :D The coolest ones are in Australia, Bahamas, Belize, Egypt and Guam.

The deepest one is in the Bahamas at 663ft deep but only 82-115ft across. Belize's Blue Hole is only about half that depth but a whopping 980ft wide! :eek:

Wiki says: Blue holes are roughly circular, steep-walled depressions, and so named for the dramatic contrast between the dark blue, deep waters of their depths and the lighter blue of the shallows around them. Their water circulation is poor, and they are commonly anoxic below a certain depth; this environment is unfavorable for most sea life, but nonetheless can support large numbers of bacteria. The deep blue color is caused by the high transparency of water and bright white carbonate sand. Blue light is the most enduring part of the spectrum; where other parts of the spectrum—red, yellow, and finally green—are absorbed during their path through water, blue light manages to reach the white sand and return back upon reflection.

And thank you! :o

Archived