Belize BLUE HOLE

Kimmer727

Is there any excursion you can take through Royal Caribbean, that will take you to this "Blue Hole" - not necessarily to snorkel, or dive, just to see it??? Anybody know???

We are on the NCL Spirit and also are looking for a tour to the Blue Hole. Appreciate anyone's input. Thanks in advance

• 10 months later...

I'm reserecting this thread in hopes that someone has some new information.

We are sailing on the NCL Jewel and will be in Belize on the 16th of December. I'm trying to find a way to at the very least fly over the Blue Hole, or boat thru it...ideally snorkel on the reef or dive a bit.

The primary goal would be just to be able to SEE it in person. :D

I have a call into EcoTours and hopefully they'll be able to help, but thought I'd post here too and see what you all knew.

Thanks!

We visited the Blue Hole on a land vacation a few years back. Took a boat from Ambergris Caye - it is a rough 2 hour boat ride each way. Through open ocean, so wow, take your Dramamine. First time I've had my butt leave the seat so much. :)

To be honest, I wasn't that impressed. Yes it is cool, and now I can say I've been there, but the snorkeling was not very good. IMO not worth the brutal ride there and back. My DH and some friends did the dive, and got down to around 140 ft. but only some stalagmites to see. They did surface with some sharks circling around though. But no worries, the sharks seemed used to the divers and more interested in the few pieces of watermelon rind the crew was throwing overboard.

We visited the Blue Hole on a land vacation a few years back. Took a boat from Ambergris Caye - it is a rough 2 hour boat ride each way. Through open ocean, so wow, take your Dramamine. First time I've had my butt leave the seat so much. :)

To be honest, I wasn't that impressed. Yes it is cool, and now I can say I've been there, but the snorkeling was not very good. IMO not worth the brutal ride there and back. My DH and some friends did the dive, and got down to around 140 ft. but only some stalagmites to see. They did surface with some sharks circling around though. But no worries, the sharks seemed used to the divers and more interested in the few pieces of watermelon rind the crew was throwing overboard.

Tigger...thanks so much. I've heard much of the same regarding the boat ride. Which is why I'm trying to find a way to fly over the thing, then snorkel and/or dive closer in...and maybe lunch at Caulker Cay. Thanks again.

Anyone else...know how to "fly" there?

Through RCCL - No. I've dove the Blue Hole and it was a 2.5 hour punishing ride over the open ocean each way. When I was staying in Ambergris Caye, I remember seeing that one of the local airlines had a sightseeing flight over the Blue Hole one day a week. I don't remember what day it was. If you really wanted to do it, you could find out if that flight still exists and then arrange a flight from Belize City to Ambergris Caye. I doubt the timing would work out, but if you have your heart set on it you could try to find out which airline did that, and see if the timing would work out.

Through RCCL - No. I've dove the Blue Hole and it was a 2.5 hour punishing ride over the open ocean each way. When I was staying in Ambergris Caye, I remember seeing that one of the local airlines had a sightseeing flight over the Blue Hole one day a week. I don't remember what day it was. If you really wanted to do it, you could find out if that flight still exists and then arrange a flight from Belize City to Ambergris Caye. I doubt the timing would work out, but if you have your heart set on it you could try to find out which airline did that, and see if the timing would work out.

Thanks 2112...I'll look into that. But I fear you may be right...too big to take on with just a day trip.

Well after a BOAT LOAD (pun intended) of research, I've almost given up on arranging a Blue Hole excursion during the few hours that our ship is in port.

I have one last hope of hooking up with a guy that does helicopter tours out of Belize City. If that pans out then I'll repost with that info.

In a nutshell, the problem is timing. The ship gets into port around 8am, then there is the mad dash to get off to catch a taxi for a 30 minute ride to the Municipal Airport. From there, you catch a Tropic Air flight that leaves every hour on the half hour for San Pedro. Once in San Pedro you can take a chartered plane out (anywhere from $300 to $1500 per hour based on size) for a 2 hour flying tour of the Blue Hole and surrounding cays. Then back to San Pedro, to catch a flight that leaves on the hour back to Belize City. Cabbie back to the ship.

Basing all this on my ship...here is what I came up with:

Ship docks 8am

Disembark and catch cab 9am

Check in at airport 930am (one hour check in required)

Flight departs to San Pedro 1030am arrive 10:45am (next flight not til 11:30)

Charter departs to Blue Hole 1100pm (allowing 3 hours: 30 min boarding, 2 hour flight, 30 min departing)

Check in at airport 2pm

Flight departs for Belize 3pm arrive at 3:15pm (next flight is at 4pm)

Catch Cab back to port 4pm

Arrive at port 430pm

Ship sails 5pm

ALLLL too close for comfort. One missed step and we miss the ship. :(

So unless this helicopter ride pans out...I'm going to save the Blue Hole for another day.

I'll keep a watch on this thread for awhile though. So if anyone else comes up with anything let me know.

Thanks

Well after a BOAT LOAD (pun intended) of research, I've almost given up on arranging a Blue Hole excursion during the few hours that our ship is in port.

I have one last hope of hooking up with a guy that does helicopter tours out of Belize City. If that pans out then I'll repost with that info.

In a nutshell, the problem is timing. The ship gets into port around 8am, then there is the mad dash to get off to catch a taxi for a 30 minute ride to the Municipal Airport. From there, you catch a Tropic Air flight that leaves every hour on the half hour for San Pedro. Once in San Pedro you can take a chartered plane out (anywhere from $300 to $1500 per hour based on size) for a 2 hour flying tour of the Blue Hole and surrounding cays. Then back to San Pedro, to catch a flight that leaves on the hour back to Belize City. Cabbie back to the ship.

Basing all this on my ship...here is what I came up with:

Ship docks 8am

Disembark and catch cab 9am

Check in at airport 930am (one hour check in required)

Flight departs to San Pedro 1030am arrive 10:45am (next flight not til 11:30)

Charter departs to Blue Hole 1100pm (allowing 3 hours: 30 min boarding, 2 hour flight, 30 min departing)

Check in at airport 2pm

Flight departs for Belize 3pm arrive at 3:15pm (next flight is at 4pm)

Catch Cab back to port 4pm

Arrive at port 430pm

Ship sails 5pm

ALLLL too close for comfort. One missed step and we miss the ship. :(

So unless this helicopter ride pans out...I'm going to save the Blue Hole for another day.

I'll keep a watch on this thread for awhile though. So if anyone else comes up with anything let me know.

Thanks

We're planning on doing a fly/dive excursion to Amergris Caye through shoretrips.com which takes you from the pier to the municipal airport to San Pedro. It looks like they also offer just the roundtrip flight there for $90 per person. It's all within the timeframe that we'll be in port. I don't know if you could get your helicopter ride to the Blue Hole fit into that and tighten up the whole package a little. Just something I wanted to throw out there to you in case somehow it would help. I know how it feels to want to do an excursion really badly and to try everything to get it planned with little luck. Good Luck and let us know if you make it to the Blue Hole.

We're planning on doing a fly/dive excursion to Amergris Caye through shoretrips.com which takes you from the pier to the municipal airport to San Pedro. It looks like they also offer just the roundtrip flight there for $90 per person. It's all within the timeframe that we'll be in port. I don't know if you could get your helicopter ride to the Blue Hole fit into that and tighten up the whole package a little. Just something I wanted to throw out there to you in case somehow it would help. I know how it feels to want to do an excursion really badly and to try everything to get it planned with little luck. Good Luck and let us know if you make it to the Blue Hole.

Hi Michele

Thanks for the tip. I'll give them a call and see. But that is pretty much what I've found as well. I can easily get someone to fly me to San Pedro or Amergris Caye for snorkeling, diving or whatever. But it's just getting that last 60 miles from there to the Blue Hole that seems to be the challenge. But maybe your people might have a suggestion. I'll write them and see! Thanks again

Hi Michele

Thanks for the tip. I'll give them a call and see. But that is pretty much what I've found as well. I can easily get someone to fly me to San Pedro or Amergris Caye for snorkeling, diving or whatever. But it's just getting that last 60 miles from there to the Blue Hole that seems to be the challenge. But maybe your people might have a suggestion. I'll write them and see! Thanks again

No Problem!! Possibly they will know of a dive shop or some other tour operator that takes people out to the Blue Hole. I haven't used shoretrips.com myself YET, but I've seen good reviews. I would think they would have a lot of contacts or possibly know someone you could contact directly. Let us know how it turns out. Otherwise we'll all be wondering "what ever happened to ...." :). Good Luck!!

You know, I just remembered that I put out a thread yesterday on the BELIZE board called "San Pedro???" and I got a post from someone that said they have spent months at a time there. Maybe she could help. I'll hop over there and ask her if she has any ideas. Watch over there for a possible reply. It doesn't hurt to try everything. These boards are so full of info.

Too bad you can't find a dive/snorkel excursion that can pick you up directly from the ship. I know some excursions do that - would save a tremendous amount of time.

When we did the Blue Hole, we used Amigos Del Mar Divers. Maybe you could email them and see if its possible to maybe set up a private charter? I'm not sure how long it would take them to get from Ambergris Caye to the ship tho. But doesn't hurt to ask. :)

http://www.amigosdive.com/DiveSites/BlueHole/tabid/264/Default.aspx

I think this is your helicopter guy.

http://www.infohub.com/vacation_packages/9012.html

But at $450/pp sounds a bit steep for what you see.

Looks like something to be done if you're on a week long dive excursion in the area, and one day the guides/charter take you out to the Blue Hole. Otherwise, better things to spend the $$$$$$$ on.

I think this is your helicopter guy.

http://www.infohub.com/vacation_packages/9012.html

But at $450/pp sounds a bit steep for what you see.

Looks like something to be done if you're on a week long dive excursion in the area, and one day the guides/charter take you out to the Blue Hole. Otherwise, better things to spend the $$$$$$$ on.

Thanks I found that one too, but this is what they said:

"Helicopter Adventure: Blue Hole & Turneffe Islands

Please, note! This Tour is no longer offered by InfoHub." :(

I found another helicopter service, now if they will only answer my email!

Thanks!

Too bad you can't find a dive/snorkel excursion that can pick you up directly from the ship. I know some excursions do that - would save a tremendous amount of time.

When we did the Blue Hole, we used Amigos Del Mar Divers. Maybe you could email them and see if its possible to maybe set up a private charter? I'm not sure how long it would take them to get from Ambergris Caye to the ship tho. But doesn't hurt to ask. :)

http://www.amigosdive.com/DiveSites/BlueHole/tabid/264/Default.aspx

Thanks!! And I checked with them and the answer is:

"This trip is a full day excursion that departs at 6:00am and returns at 5:30pm."

My ship arrives at 8am and departs at 5pm.

Looks like I'll have to come back and stay for a week!

No Problem!! Possibly they will know of a dive shop or some other tour operator that takes people out to the Blue Hole. I haven't used shoretrips.com myself YET, but I've seen good reviews. I would think they would have a lot of contacts or possibly know someone you could contact directly. Let us know how it turns out. Otherwise we'll all be wondering "what ever happened to ...." :). Good Luck!!

You know, I just remembered that I put out a thread yesterday on the BELIZE board called "San Pedro???" and I got a post from someone that said they have spent months at a time there. Maybe she could help. I'll hop over there and ask her if she has any ideas. Watch over there for a possible reply. It doesn't hurt to try everything. These boards are so full of info.

Thanks!! Will Do

Well my friends….I have found the answer to the question:

"How can I make a day trip to the Blue Hole from the cruise ship?"

The answer is: Astrum Helicopters.

They are located in Belize City. They will pick you up right at the boat pier and shuttle you the 30 minutes to their helicopter base. From there we can take either a 4 or 6 passenger helicopter for an 84 minute flight over the Blue Hole and two other atolls. They will then shuttle you back to the ship. See the link for details. http://www.astrumhelicopters.com/Files%20Other/Ride%20-%20Blue%20Hole%20-%20BZ%20v0710.pdf

All for the bargain basement price of: :eek:

$1700.00 for the 4 passenger helicopter

$3300.00 for the 6 passenger helicopter

(Price is set for the copter, not the bodies inside)

Thanks for all your help!! I hope my post will help someone too!

Holy cr*p! Yes, it would be very cool to see from the air, but for that price, you could all come back on a land trip.

You gonna do it? :)

Or wait! I remember seeing this! :D

http://www.skydivebelize.com/

Tigger...believe it or not, some of the crazies in my group are thinking about it. I'm with you, for that price we could stay a whole weekend. But it would be cool.

WOW...Dive Belize sounds HELLA fun...but I don't know if I have the guts for that! What a fun site though. Thanks!

Helicopter Tour over the Blue Hole, LightHouse Reef and adjoining atolls!

BlueHole.jpg

This adventure is with Javier’s Flighing Service (website is same as name). They are based on San Pedro but have a satellite office at the Belize Municipal Airstrip that is only a 10 minute taxi ride from the Cruise Ship Terminal. They have a 3 passenger Cessna 172 ($550 total) and 5 passenger Cessna 206 ($865) fixed wing aircrafts. This rate brings the pp to $173-$185 if we fill one of the aircrafts.

Here is the email from Vern:

“The tour is about 1 hour long and from Belize City, they fly east over the Great Barrier Reef and various small islands. From there it is over open blue water for a short distance then across the Turneffe Atoll which is encircled with a reef with spectacular colors. From there it is another short distance over open water then to the Lighthouse Reef Atoll, where the Blue Hole is located.

We circle the Blue Hole a couple of times and then along the reef to Half Moon Caye which again has spectacular colors and back to Belize City on a slightly different path for more views of the Island and Atolls.”

• 2 weeks later...
Helicopter Tour over the Blue Hole, LightHouse Reef and adjoining atolls!

BlueHole.jpg

This adventure is with Javier’s Flighing Service (website is same as name). They are based on San Pedro but have a satellite office at the Belize Municipal Airstrip that is only a 10 minute taxi ride from the Cruise Ship Terminal. They have a 3 passenger Cessna 172 ($550 total) and 5 passenger Cessna 206 ($865) fixed wing aircrafts. This rate brings the pp to $173-$185 if we fill one of the aircrafts.

Here is the email from Vern:

“The tour is about 1 hour long and from Belize City, they fly east over the Great Barrier Reef and various small islands. From there it is over open blue water for a short distance then across the Turneffe Atoll which is encircled with a reef with spectacular colors. From there it is another short distance over open water then to the Lighthouse Reef Atoll, where the Blue Hole is located.

We circle the Blue Hole a couple of times and then along the reef to Half Moon Caye which again has spectacular colors and back to Belize City on a slightly different path for more views of the Island and Atolls.”

As a side note...Vern also said for anothef $75 they would drop us off at the Caye Caulker airstrip. Combining the fly over with a lunch and shop stop at Caye Caulker. We will need to catch a water taxi back to the pier though.

BeadBabe, you do the Caye Caulker route, be sure to hits Carlos' grill for lunch. He's past the soccer field about a 100 yards from the split. He catches his own seafood daily and grills it outside. Best cheap lunch you'll have all cruise.

BeadBabe, you do the Caye Caulker route, be sure to hits Carlos' grill for lunch. He's past the soccer field about a 100 yards from the split. He catches his own seafood daily and grills it outside. Best cheap lunch you'll have all cruise.

He is on our list for sure!

• 1 year later...

Archived