Departure Tax Hike

Cruzer Nut

I just got an update for our Cruise and my T/A has let me know that as of 24th Nov there has been an increase from the Government.

"There has however been another increase in your Cruise costs due to the Australian Departure Tax/Sydney Port Charges increasing from today."

I'ts now $51.00 per person (increase of $9.00). - Now thats a Cocktail :mad:

I don't know if anyone of you that have already paid will be affected but thought I would mention it incase you are slugged as you check in at the Cruise/Airport Terminals. :rolleyes:

T/A also mentioned that there is a new No Smoking Policy that comes into affect in February for All P&O Cruises but he failed to attach it, perhaps one of you have it?

I don't know if this is the same thing or not, but Brushtail posted, on our roll call, this copy of an email she received from P&O on the 1st July

Important Information

*** Government Fees and Taxes Notice of Increase ***

Please be advised that the Australian Government has increased the Passenger Movement Charge that applies to passengers departing Australia from AU$38pp to AU$47pp (for passengers 12 years and over).

• For bookings paid in full as of 11.59pm AEST 30 June 2008, the increase does not apply and these bookings will not be affected.
  • For all other bookings, an additional AU$9pp (for passengers 12 years & over) has been applied and this additional amount must be paid with your balance.

Please ensure you review the balance due amount prior to making final payment.

Thank you for your attention to this notification.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

The strange thing about this is, we have paid our cruise in full now & we haven't been asked for the extra $9. Also, a friend of mine from work went on a cruise in Oct. There were 8 of them that booked together but each went in to pay their own money. She was asked for the $9 but none of the others were:confused:

T/A also mentioned that there is a new No Smoking Policy that comes into affect in February for All P&O Cruises but he failed to attach it, perhaps one of you have it?

At sea, P&O and Princess are operated independently of each other - but I figure that means for both brands??

We are flying out on the 6th Decmeber and we haven't heard anything about it.

I wonder if it just a port charge and not airport tax.

It sound rough, but spare a thought for the POMs - their departure Tax to come to Australasia or SA has just been doubled to about $240 NZ - an xtra $9 doesn't feel quite so bad compared to that ...!

I just got an update for our Cruise and my T/A has let me know that as of 24th Nov there has been an increase from the Government.

"There has however been another increase in your Cruise costs due to the Australian Departure Tax/Sydney Port Charges increasing from today."

I'ts now $51.00 per person (increase of $9.00). - Now thats a Cocktail :mad:

I don't know if anyone of you that have already paid will be affected but thought I would mention it incase you are slugged as you check in at the Cruise/Airport Terminals. :rolleyes:

We just booked tickets to NZ departing next Tuesday (Martin) and Thursday (me) - and we only paid $47 departure tax

I don't know if this is the same thing or not, but Brushtail posted, on our roll call, this copy of an email she received from P&O on the 1st July

Important Information

*** Government Fees and Taxes Notice of Increase ***

Please be advised that the Australian Government has increased the Passenger Movement Charge that applies to passengers departing Australia from AU$38pp to AU$47pp (for passengers 12 years and over).

• For bookings paid in full as of 11.59pm AEST 30 June 2008, the increase does not apply and these bookings will not be affected.
  • For all other bookings, an additional AU$9pp (for passengers 12 years & over) has been applied and this additional amount must be paid with your balance.

Please ensure you review the balance due amount prior to making final payment.

Thank you for your attention to this notification.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

The strange thing about this is, we have paid our cruise in full now & we haven't been asked for the extra $9. Also, a friend of mine from work went on a cruise in Oct. There were 8 of them that booked together but each went in to pay their own money. She was asked for the $9 but none of the others were:confused:

That price rise happened the week we paid for our Pacific Dawn Cruise - we paid $38 not $47 and were never asked for the extra $9.

Archived