Flight arrives late on day of cruise booked through RC

I just received my packet from Royal Caribbean for our May 1 Explorer cruise and the flight doesn't arrive in Ft. Lauderdale until 2:00 pm. This was all booked through RC.To have enough time to taxi, deplane, collect luggage etc. I think we wouldn't leave the airport till at least 3:00. I understand it is a 45 minute drive to Miami port. Are we going to have enough time? I understand they quit taking passengers at 4:00 pm. This is our first cruise and I am afraid they are going to screw it all up. We purchased insurance and went through RC to make sure all would be insured but missing 2 days at sea because we missed the boat due to their booking is not a consolation. We called RC and they said that they would hold the boat. They also said to change the air would be $100. Do you all think that they will really hold the boat because that seems kind of weird that they would throw the whole boats schedule off? Please reassure me. I am getting axious. I posted this on the cruise air board but no one seems to be on that board. Thanks, Carrie

Thanks Carrie

No need to worry, I am sure that everything will be alright since you booked the air through RCI. That is one of the main reasons to book the air with the cruise line they will wait for your flight to get in. Belle

On our last cruise the ship left port late. This was due to flights booked through RCI that arrived late. As I understand it, if they book it, they hold the ship. If you book it, you take your chances. I believe the same goes with shore excursions.

Future cruises

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2005;01;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Monarch OTS - Mexico Baja 1/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;11;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Explorer OTS - Eastern Caribbean 11/04

Past cruises

Vision OTS - Alaska 7/03

Legend OTS - Alaska 7/02

As long as they are the ones that booked your flight it is their responsibility to make sure you get to the ship and they will hold it.The first time I cruised with them and they arranged our airfare we didnt get to the ship until 4:00 and we missed the sail away party. For that reason we now book our own airfare, for a cheaper rate and fly in a day earlier. This way we don't have the stress and worry of missing the ship.

Majesty of the Seas 3/02

Monarch of the Seas 2/03

Serenade of the Seas 11/03

Till the Enchantment!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;2;19;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

In December our ship, the Legend of the Seas, leaving from Ensenada to Hawaii, left a few hours late because we were waiting on a bus with 60 people who had gotten into San Deigo very late. So, from my experience, limited as it is, it does appear they will hold the ship if you arrange transportation with RCI.

In September we are taking the Legend to Mexico and booked our own flights from Las Vegas to San Deigo and aren't getting in until 1 PM, this is making me nervous...but everyone seems to think it will be OK. icon_smile.gif We have arranged tranfers from San Deigo airport to the pier, so maybe that will work in our favor if the flight is delayed for some reason.

Margie

Celebrating Our Parents 60th Anniversary - Legend of the Seas to Mexico 9/5/04!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;9;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Join Our Legend Roll Call Here

Our Dawn Princess Caribbean Medley Family Cruise 11/23/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;11;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Join Our Dawn Roll Call Here

Windjammer-Flying Cloud 1991

Carnival Elation 1999

NCL Sun 2002

Star Princess 2003

Legend of the Seas 2003

RCCL will hold the ship depending on a lot of factors, but they can't hold the ship forever. I sailed on Grandeur in December and missed the ship due to the fact that the New Orleans airport was closed to fog and no one could land for hours. By the time I arrived in New Orleans, the ship had just taken off (this was around 9pm). Lots of people missed the ship. They waited as long as they could (due to schedules, more fog coming, etc.)

Since I bought air through RCL, they flew me to my next port. The only flight to Cozumel was full the next day so we couldn't fly until the following day. We missed a lot of the cruise and barely made it with 30 min to spare in cozumel. If you have flight problems, keep calling the toll-free number until things are straightened out. In retrospect, I think I was much too agreeable with their "wait and see" plan and should have demanded they put my on another airline with available seats instead of spending all day on stand-by in the airport.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Desertbelle:

In December our ship, the Legend of the Seas, leaving from Ensenada to Hawaii, left a few hours late because we were waiting on a bus with 60 people who had gotten into San Deigo very late. So, from my experience, limited as it is, it does appear they will hold the ship if you arrange transportation with RCI.

In September we are taking the Legend to Mexico and booked our own flights from Las Vegas to San Deigo and aren't getting in until 1 PM, this is making me nervous...but everyone seems to think it will be OK. icon_smile.gif We have arranged tranfers from San Deigo airport to the pier, so maybe that will work in our favor if the flight is delayed for some reason.

Margie

Celebrating Our Parents 60th Anniversary - Legend of the Seas to Mexico 9/5/04!!

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;9;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=1683059817&m=2413047577

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;11;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=4763056957&m=9023035677&r=4303056677#4303056677

Carnival Elation 1999

NCL Sun 2002

Star Princess 2003

Legend of the Seas 2003<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

YOu are 10 mins from the ship, if you are landing in San diego. You can see the ship from the airport. No problem. It was $8.00 cab fee.

I love sailing out of san diego. its beautiful and so easy and fast from the airport. Hope you didnt pay much for transfers from

royal. icon_confused.gif

YOu could be to the ship, by the time they got a bus full of luggage and passengers.

cgalbraith

Yes. RCCI will hold the ship for a little while, but if the air delay is significant, you're out of luck. This is why many posters including myself, always make our own air arrangements and go a day early. Even if all goes well, you've still missed much of the first day.

Tropical 9/91

Ecstasy 9/93

Monarch 9/95

Sensation 9/96

Grandeur 9/97

Inspiration 9/98

Enchantment 9/99

Grandeur 9/00

Explorer 3/01

Grand 9/01.........Review!!

Victory 9/02........Review!!

Navigator 3/03....Review!!

Adventure 9/03....Review!!

Voyager 9/04

Email....Cruisinfanatic@AOL.COM

yes- they almost definitely hold the ship for you. Sometimes purchasing airfare through RCCL can be a good thing- my husband and I missed the ship for our honeymoon last July. Our flight had serious problems and instead of getting into Miami at 11:30 a.m.-- with just 1 flight-- we took 5 flights that day and got into Miami at 9:00-- much too late! We spent the net 3 days in Jamaica-- the airlines put us up there-- and then had rccl pick us up and drive us an hour across the island to meet the ship! Very stressful few days- but we made it!! Had we purchased through the cruise line- it probably would not have been a problem.

The transfers were $22 round trip, which I thought was fair. With 6 people we would have had to mess around with finding two cabs and splitting up, which would have worried my elderly parents.

I am glad to know that the port is close, that makes me feel much better as we have never flown in so close to a cruise before. Thanks!

Margie

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;9;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Join Our Legend Roll Call Here

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;11;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Join Our Dawn Roll Call Here

Carnival Elation 1999

NCL Sun 2002

Star Princess 2003

Legend of the Seas 2003

Archived