Cruise germs!

UKCruiser_2008

We have been on 4 cruises and NEVER gotten sick. In fact, I've never gotten sick on vacation or even right after I get home. I don't get sick when I fly, take the train, stay in hotels, etc. My immune system is very good. Constant use of anti-bacterial's actually not good for your immune system. I wash my hands after using the bathroom and before eating, but that's about it. I never wipe down anything in my room and rarely use the paper provided in the bathrooms to open the door.

And if you work in a large building or are around a lot of people on a daily basis, you're exposed to just as many germs as you are on a cruise ship. People just tend to remember getting sick on vacation and "think" they only get sick then.

Also, Airborne has been proven to not work at all. Several studies have shown it does absolutely nothing.

We have been on 4 cruises and NEVER gotten sick. In fact, I've never gotten sick on vacation or even right after I get home. I don't get sick when I fly, take the train, stay in hotels, etc. My immune system is very good. Constant use of anti-bacterial's actually not good for your immune system. I wash my hands after using the bathroom and before eating, but that's about it. I never wipe down anything in my room and rarely use the paper provided in the bathrooms to open the door.

And if you work in a large building or are around a lot of people on a daily basis, you're exposed to just as many germs as you are on a cruise ship. People just tend to remember getting sick on vacation and "think" they only get sick then.

Also, Airborne has been proven to not work at all. Several studies have shown it does absolutely nothing.

I was standing outside the men's room a few cruises ago waiting for my DH. I was astounded at how many men came out while still zipping up - which tells me they didn't wash their hands!!! I asked my DH when he came out if he had used the paper to open the door. He said no, he had washed his hands and I told him he might want to go wash them again after touching that door handle! :eek:

That is one of the places that the serious germs get spread is on door handles of public restrooms. Way too many people don't wash hands and then touch to door on the way out - easily spreading fecal bacteria as they go. Not something you want to go on vacation with. The funny thing is that it is usually the germaphobes who don't wash - they are afraid to touch the sink handles for the germs when in actuality they are just spreading them more.

IMO your best bet is to leave all the wipes at home and just wash your hands. Unless the wipes use chlorine (Clorex) as a killer all you do is help create super bugs. The hand sanitizers are ineffective against the really bad bugs anyway.

Exactly what I recommend - chlorine based wipes!

Do you find that you often catch a cold (or worse) on a cruise? I have been reading a few comments about germs ... we are taking an anti-bacterial hand spray adn will wipe down the door handles etc. as recommended, is this enough?

Anti-bacterial doesn't get rid of virus germs. You need soap and water to get rid of that. I never touch elevator buttons or door handles onboard. I use my elbow (ha ha funny) to press elevator buttons, and a paper towel for door handles. Just my way to keep germs away. All said, I got pneumonia after our cruise 2 years ago - go figure. Kaboochi

Exactly what I recommend - chlorine based wipes!

The last time I used a chlorine based wipe- I ruined one of my favorite shirts:( Just remember not to let them touch your clothng- they will bleach them out.

I work in a health room full of sick kids daily and very rarely get sick. I don't obsess about germs. I wash my hands regularly and keep them away from my eyes, nose and mouth.

If I knew there to be an outbreak of something onboard I might be a little more diligent, but for the most part you should be just fine onboard.

As for airplanes, I sat next to a very sick person on one flight and was quite concerned about breathing in her germs for a 4 hour flight. I turned the air nozzle on above me to constantly blow her air away from me and fortunately it worked. I really don't think people with flu-like symptoms should be flying anymore than cruising.

Do you find that you often catch a cold (or worse) on a cruise? I have been reading a few comments about germs ... we are taking an anti-bacterial hand spray adn will wipe down the door handles etc. as recommended, is this enough?

I've over 200 cruises under my belt.....have never caught anything nor have I ever been sick.....nor have I ever been on a ship where the dreaded stomach flu has hit.

I also don't sanitize my cabin, carry bleach wipes, wipe down the doorknobs, bathrooms, hand rails.

What I do is wash my hands with soap and water frequently and keep my hands and fingers away from my face and mouth.

True....but in my daily life I am not cooped up inside a cruiseship with thousands of people........or sit in a airplane with 150 people breathing the same air for 5 hours.........

Just a wee bit different:p

I fly once or twice a month and never get sick. I stand by paying attention to boosting your immune system and not obsessing about germs. Thoughts all things!

Pat

for those of you who are prone to getting colds, etc on the plane. There is something that you can do to help with that....

If I'm exposed to someone with a cold, or if I go into a really smokey area I pretty much always wake up the next day with some sinus problems. I've never had a cold or sinus issue that hasn't turned into a full fledged sinus infection.

Until I started using the Neti Pot. Now I use it anytime I'm exposed to the things that make me flare - flying, smoky areas, etc. And, while I've had some sinus flareups, nothing has turned into an infection. I'm in love with my Neti Pot! This last week I had to fly and I got home with a sore throat from drainage. Used the Neti Pot twice and it all went away....

Don't you folks realize that you are exposed to millions of germs daily as you go about your daily life? It's all about having a strong immune system. I would suspect on a cruise it has to do with drinking more, less sleep, and a different schedule and your immune system is weakened. The person who suggested the airborne is on the right track- there are herbs available such as echinachea and olive leaf that are anti-viral and will help you ward off colds and flues. I'm in the food business and deal with health departments all the time. They tell me that the antibacterial hand washes don't do a whole lot of good-they only last a few minutes-you would need to apply constantly to avoid germs. We take our herbs with us and take them daily while traveling just as we do our vitamins and in 13 cruises, have never been sick.

Pat

Knowing that and getting past a combo of germphobia and OCD are two different things.

I am a nurse and so, a compulsive hand washer, also because I've worked in the hospital so long I have a pretty strong immunity system. That said, I never get sick on cruises, but I have noticed people coming out of restroom without washing hands, in fact look in the mirror, adjust their hair and clothing and then just breeze out, ewwwwwwwwww.

I did catch the flu the last cruise after I was home for a day. One of the pulmonologists I worked with swore I got it on the plane coming home, he said the timing for coming down with it was right, and that planes are just germ havens, he swears people should always wear masks on planes.

So I think if you just wash your hands good and avoid holding the railings when going up and down steps or in the halls you should be good to go!!!

Happy cruising, Carole

we brought the germX wipes on our last cruise, they are small enough to stick in your pocket on the way to the buffets... we'd pull them out and use them to handle the tongs and other cutlery on the buffet line...

we'd also wash our hands before we ate and pretty much as often as we could...

we never got sick...

OK, so, you wrap little wipes aroung the serving utensils at the buffet? If you're that paranoid, wouldn't rubber gloves be easier?

[quote name='vtoria98']I am the same way. The only times i get sick on vacation is when I fly. Last cruise lwe flew to Miami and sure enough I caught a cold on the third day of the cruise.[/QUOTE]

Me too! I get sick EVERY SINGLE TIME I fly. And I rarely get sick, normally very healthy. But never been sick on or after a cruise, knock on teak wood... :)

[quote name='kujobie']OK, so, you wrap little wipes aroung the serving utensils at the buffet? If you're that paranoid, wouldn't rubber gloves be easier?[/quote]

[IMG]http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01C41aI0RcbU9/610x.jpg[/IMG]

Can't say I've ever gone the little wipes route or the obsessive hand-washing route either. I mean, I wash my hands after using the facilities, before meals, and when they're icky. I can't stand those alcohol-based hand sanitizers. I swear they eat the skin off of my hands. But I have a hyper-active immune system anyway, so it takes a lot for me to catch something.

When I was a kid (60's and 70's), I was outside constantly. I made mud pies (and ate them...well...a taste). Our street would flood during a heavy rain and we played in it. We had dogs, cats, fish, and birds. I dont think I ever 'washed up' before supper. Guess what? I'm still here! Although I agree one shouldn't touch the same tongs on the buffet as 2000 other people and then stick your finger in your mouth, I also don't think one should be like 'Monk'. Germs kill germs. It has been proven that all the 'antibacterial' soaps, wipes, gels, etc. have actually HURT our immune systems. It's common sense.

Archived