Radiance Class vs Voyager Class

teresapink

I have never been on a Royal ship unless it had the promanade..we are now considering the Serenade which is Radance class...I know it will be beautiful, I'm just wondering can you ever go back after the Promanade? I have teens also (17 and 16 yrs old) Will they be lost without it?

Thanks anyone who has done this !!!!

Teresa :)

The only thing I like better about the Voyager class, is the open Solarium. The rest of the ship is so well-designed, that the promenade mall isn't even missed. The Centrum will be the interior "place to be".

The solarium is totally indoors, then? Hot and sweaty?

T

I have gone back and forth between all of them.

I did the Adventure years ago. Loved the promenade.

I've done the Brilliance after that.

I did the tiny Empress, twice.

I have done the Navigator twice, The Mariner twice, and I am now going to do the Serenade for two weeks next.

And, sailed some others too. ;)

The solarium is totally indoors, then? Hot and sweaty?

T

I haven't found it hot and sweaty at all - it's climate controlled. The really nice part is if there is rain or cold weather you can still comfortably use the pool on the Radiance class unlike on the Voyager class.

We have done both the Voyager Class and the Radiance Class ships w/ and w/out our teens. IF your teens did nothing but hang out in the Promenade, there are a few substitutes (shopping areas) on the Radiance Class, but it is not the same. There is not a 24 hour food area. The Solarium can be warmer, more humid, but as Wrona has already said, it is climate controled.

Our kids (now 28, 26 & 14) definitely enjoyed the Promenade on Voyager Class. They also have enjoyed the Radiance Class ships. They are different cruise experiences, that is neither good nor bad........simply depends on what you and your teens are looking for.

Bruce

Went on Voyager OTS first, then Enchantment last year. Enchantment is far smaller than Voyager, but I felt it was actually a better cruise. Not that either had any complaints!

I'd sail either one again in a heartbeat. We'll be on Serenade soon and we'll have a third class to add to the list.

There is an entertainment area aft on Deck 6 that includes self-leveling pool tables and several other areas. I confess that DH and I just walked through on our Radiance cruise and didn't hang out there at all at night. Hopefully, others with teens can comment on activities there. I also note that there is Fuel (teen club) up on 12.

I haven't found it hot and sweaty at all - it's climate controlled. The really nice part is if there is rain or cold weather you can still comfortably use the pool on the Radiance class unlike on the Voyager class.

Indeed. I have been on Radiance when it was cold weather and without the closed canopy it would have been miserable out (a bad weather Thanksgiving two years ago this week in western caribbean), so I have wondered about there being a loss of that benefit on the Voyager and Freedom class rather than an upgrade. Not that it has stopped me from having a great time on the Mariner.

DW and I, mid-40's, loved Radiance. DS, then 10, loved Radiance. He has told me recently, now 12, after coming back from Mariner, that he would not hesitate to go on a Radiance class ship again.

I think it depends a lot on the itinerary. If your cruise is port intensive, then the smaller ship is the way to go in my opinion. Better to bring 2000 of your closest friends into port with you than 3000+. Our Med cruise last year was on Splendour which is even smaller than the Radiance class. For that sort of cruise, I think smaller is the way to go. [Of course that does not account for all of the other ships that might be there the same day].

On the other hand, the larger ships offer more to do on sea days. But either way, all the ships have the main dining area, some kind after hours food [although not necessarily the same options], shows, work out areas, rock walls, some shops, trivia, and on and on. I don't think they will be bored [well not any more than teenagers want you to believe they are].

Haven't noticed any significant difference in the balconies which, IMHO, vary more according to the stateroom category you book than the ship on which you sail. Solaria on the Radiance class ships can add days of pleasant relaxation on your cruise if you are sailing in cooler climes or in inclement weather. This was especially the case when we sailed out of Boston in late October. Have never found them hot and sweaty but have found them a pleasurable change from the unbearable hot and humid or cold and rainy weather outside.:) Since we don't ice skate, surf, or engage in many of the activities that are available on Voyager and Freedom class ships, the size and beauty of the Radiance class ships plus the fact that you don't lose contact with the outside and have great seaviews throughout the ship ( the lack of same being a significant drawback of the larger ships for me), we find Radiance ships ideal for our cruising pleasure. That said, we look forward to taking our grandkids on Oasis or Allure of the Seas when all are old enough to enjoy them.:)

My first cruise was on Radiance, which I adored (I thought that I would despise cruising, as I like more exotic places and backpacking.) My next one was on the Navigator. It was nice, but the mall was a lot like - a mall. Also, the staff seemed less friendly and warm. I love the Radiance class. I found that the Voyager class just had multiples of the same things you find on the Radiance. I don't have kids though - I would imagine that the Navigator has many more places to avoid the parents!

We did the Radiance first and then tried the Explorer. We love both! They each have their +/-. I actually think the Radiance has the edge for me as I like being able to see the ocean as opposed to feeling like I'm indoors. The ice show was spectacular on the Voyager class but I would never skate myself. I also like the pool tables on the Radiance. If the Serenade went to Aruba on the Southern route I would have picked that one but for now I will get to experience the Adventure. The Jewel from Boston to Bermuda would be my next pick if they would just put it back in the itinerary!:D Your teens will be fine and you will get to enjoy a new class.

Archived