Q1 2009 Fuel Surcharge Refund Watch Thread

hawt1

[quote name='tip']Someone else mentioned that it is no big deal for them, but $160 for us is real money. It will certainly pay for our tips. It is about time that little guys like us got a break.[/quote]

I agree with you totally!

Normally, it would still be a stretch to afford it, but with the economy right now....every dime counts.

It would be nice to be able to say that it didn't matter....:)

I wrote to RCCL about the 2009 sailings that were booked subsequent to 11/10/08 and received the following response:

Thank you for your email.

We are pleased to provide you with important information regarding our recently implemented plan that could lead to the end of the fuel supplement used by Royal Caribbean International. This plan takes into consideration the recent reductions in global fuel prices and establishes guidelines for fuel supplement refunds if fuel prices remain below a specific price threshold.

Starting on November 10, 2008, our fuel supplement will no longer apply to new Royal Caribbean International bookings, made throughout the world, for sailings that depart on or after January 1, 2010.

For existing bookings or new bookings for sailings that depart prior to January 1, 2010, we will determine on a rolling quarterly basis whether fuel supplements will be refunded. Refunds, in the form of an onboard credit, will be provided if the closing price of West Texas Intermediate fuel is $65.00 or less at the closing time of the New York Mercantile Exchange, two weeks prior to the beginning of the upcoming calendar quarter. When those conditions are met, an onboard credit will be provided to all guests on sailings that depart during the upcoming calendar quarter.

The dates on which the price of West Texas Intermediate fuel will be measured, and the quarters during which refunds could apply on existing bookings are as follows:

Fuel Determination Date: Quarter of Possible Fuel Supplement Refunds:
December 18, 2008 First Quarter 2009
March 18, 2009 Second Quarter 2009
June 17, 2009 Third Quarter 2009
September 17, 2009 Fourth Quarter 2009
December 18, 2009 First Quarter 2010
March 18, 2010 Second Quarter 2010
June 17, 2010 Third Quarter 2010
September 17, 2010 Fourth Quarter 2010

We will continue to closely monitor the movement of global fuel prices and recognize that an upturn in those prices could necessitate the reinstatement of a fuel supplement. For the latest fuel supplement updates, please visit the homepage of our website at [url]www.royalcaribbean.com[/url].

Mr. Muter, thank you for contacting Royal Caribbean International.

Sincerely,

Emily Christinat
Customer Service Representative

From the language in paragraph three, the policy also includes us folks that booked after 11/10/08 in the OBC assuming the fuel cost is below the $65/barrel. Their policy on the website certainly needs better wording.

Was on the Carnival board, and yes the fuel supplement is being refunded in some cases, but those not paid in full have seen a price increase. Basically totaling the same amount. Now, that sux!
Currently at $43.86 (I'm a broker and can watch it continually)

[quote name='retnuh281']Was on the Carnival board, and yes the fuel supplement is being refunded in some cases, but those not paid in full have seen a price increase. Basically totaling the same amount. Now, that sux!
Currently at $43.86 (I'm a broker and can watch it continually)[/quote]

You're half right, if paid in full, you get an OBC. If not paid in full, the balance due is reduced by the fuel supplement charge. If you're doing a NEW booking, yes, the prices went up.

OK, I think it is officially time to start discussing what those cruising on 1/01/09 to 3/31/09 will do with their Fuel Surcharge OBC (with oil now at $43.67 and Carnival announcing in end to their surcharge effective in two weeks).

I for one do not plan on spending extra money on my cruise, but will just use the OBC towards my Sea Pass bill to pay off items I already had planned to purchase. What are others planning to do with their refund?

It will just go towards what we would have normally bought as well. We cruise inexpensively and the $70 for us will just be one person's base level tips.

Perhaps I will just share it as added tips...found money to me and no matter how bad things are here, the people who serve me probably need it more than I....

[quote name='hawt1']
Perhaps I will just share it as added tips...found money to me and no matter how bad things are here, the people who serve me probably need it more than I....[/quote]

That is an honorable way to use it. :)

After reading the whole thread I think I am the first one from accross the pond to post unless I have missed someone. However I also hope RCI follow Carnival and amend our Invoices because we have to pay the fuel supplement in GBP and if we get OBC I will get it in dollars. With the weakening of the pound against the dollar we will lose big time. If we pay the supplement in Pounds, then we should be refunded in Pounds, I feel that is only fair..

After reading the whole thread I think I am the first one from accross the pond to post unless I have missed someone. However I also hope RCI follow Carnival and amend our Invoices because we have to pay the fuel supplement in GBP and if we get OBC I will get it in dollars. With the weakening of the pound against the dollar we will lose big time. If we pay the supplement in Pounds, then we should be refunded in Pounds, I feel that is only fair..

Silly me. I have just read what the fuel charges that were charged in Dollars and I may have been a little premature in posting. If we are refunded the OBC that was charged in dollars it will be to our advantage. I was of the impresison that it would be at to day's currency exchange rates. I see on their website taht they do in fact have a table and it states as follows ......

For bookings made in Europe, the Middle East and Africa:

For the purpose for converting certain European currencies, the amount of the fuel supplement for first and second guests in a stateroom - per-guest, per-day - appears in the left-hand column of the table below. The maximum amount of the fuel supplement for first and second guests in a stateroom - per-guest, per-sailing - appears in the right-hand column.

I would imagine they would have to refund the same charge as our fellow Americans paid. It will be interesting to learn if this is the case.

I'm sorry dear brits, but you have been levied an "inadvertant" whining post penalty. On your next cruise, you will be forced to STAND next to an empty lounge chair, directly in the sun's glimmering beam and proclaim to all that ask you if it is taken "No, please take it, but understand that I am just a bit gassy today.":D

I'm sorry dear brits, but you have been levied an "inadvertant" whining post penalty. On your next cruise, you will be forced to STAND next to an empty lounge chair, directly in the sun's glimmering beam and proclaim to all that ask you if it is taken "No, please take it, but understand that I am just a bit gassy today.":D

I hope to see the sun's glimmering beam on my next cruise as we are going to the Baltic. Thanks for your concern.

Ok - Maybe its just me, but I don't understand this refund. First off, i am booked on the Explorer 2/13/09 out of NJ.

The site says that for all bookings made BEFORE 11/10/08 will be eligible for a refund based on the fuel price on Dec 18 for 1Q 2009 sailings.

Fuel charges November 9th = $10 pp per day

Fuel charges November 10th = $10 pp per day

There is no difference.

So because I booked past the 10th, and paid the same as everyone else, I am not eligible?

Can somebody explain this because the rationale is not there.

It's not like they eliminated the fuel charge if booking after 11/10 (for 2009 bookings). If so, I could 100% understand the refund. Thanks.

OK..to all of you that are questioning about whether or not you get the refund if you are booked on a 2009 cruise -but booked on or after November 10th, here is the answer we got today. I called and spoke to someone at Customer Service and my husband called and talked to the Crown and Anchor people. They both said the same thing...the November 10th date should only be considered a date for 2010 sailings. Book before Nov. 10th and pay a surcharge and wait for a possible refund...book on or after and pay no fuel surcharge

For 2009 sailings, IF a fuel refund is due passengers (due to the oil price 2 weeks before the beginning of the quarter in which you cruise) ALL passengers who have paid the surcharge will receive the credit regardless of when you booked. We booked on Nov. 10th, paid the fuel surcharge and cruise on 1-4-09. If the price is below $65 on Dec. 18th we, along with other passengers WILL get the credit!!! YIPPEE!!!!!!!

And yes, the wording on the website is ambiguous!!

OK..to all of you that are questioning about whether or not you get the refund if you are booked on a 2009 cruise -but booked on or after November 10th, here is the answer we got today. I called and spoke to someone at Customer Service and my husband called and talked to the Crown and Anchor people. They both said the same thing...the November 10th date should only be considered a date for 2010 sailings. Book before Nov. 10th and pay a surcharge and wait for a possible refund...book on or after and pay no fuel surcharge

For 2009 sailings, IF a fuel refund is due passengers (due to the oil price 2 weeks before the beginning of the quarter in which you cruise) ALL passengers who have paid the surcharge will receive the credit regardless of when you booked. We booked on Nov. 10th, paid the fuel surcharge and cruise on 1-4-09. If the price is below $65 on Dec. 18th we, along with other passengers WILL get the credit!!! YIPPEE!!!!!!!

And yes, the wording on the website is ambiguous!!

Getting the same answer from two different people is a really good sign! :D There explanation makes sense. Congrats on being in the same boat as the rest of us.

The wording on the web site is not ambiguous, it isflat out incorrect with the way it is worded. You would think their lawyers would review stuff like that.

Finally some good economic news: Carnival Corporation has announced that it will suspend fuel supplements for its six brands — Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland America, Princess Cruises, Cunard Line, the Yachts of Seabourn and Costa Cruises — for all voyages departing on or after December 17, 2008.

I guess RC is next. Lets hope they follow:rolleyes:

LATEST UPDATE

Days until price check: 14

If oil closes on December 18th below $65.00 per barrel, Q1 2009 passengers get an OBC for their fuel surcharge.

Price of oil at last closing on December 4th - $43.67

TREND

December 4th - $43.67

December 3rd - $46.79

December 2nd - $46.96

December 1st - $49.28

November 28th - $54.43

November 27th - No Trading

Difference between last closing price and target: $22.33

Required increase per day to NOT get refund: $1.59

Opening this morning a little higher. I think it is a foregone conclusion that Q1 passengers will get their refund. I would be less confident if I was sailing later in the year and do not think RCI should go the route of Carnival. Remember the trouble RCI got in when they tried to insititute a fuel surcharge to all who had already booked etc. If they go Carnival route and oil moves back up above $65, they will not likely be able to retroactively go back on previously booked passengers and ask for fuel surcharge at that time, especially after refunding it to them already. Right now it is very clear how and when and why someone would get their refund back. It is less clear how RCI would collect it if they decide to not do so now with oil at $45 but then change their mind should oil move back to $65 or more.

It is classic to see analysts calling for oil at $20 while it is falling just as we saw calls of $200 whle it was rising. It gets them in the news. Oil is at a 5 year low. Usage is not. Supply is going to be very low in a year or two given that OPEC has cut supply AND most new projects that would have been online in a couple of years have been shelved.

I will go out on a limb and say that, while Q1 sailors (yay us) are pretty much assured of our refund...if this thread is running for subsequent quarters, it will not be such a slam dunk.

JMHO....

Hawt1

Well - just read on the main boards that the fuel surcharge is being removed for all cruises leaving after Jan 1. :D Here is what the article said ..

-- Guests with existing bookings for sailings that depart on or after January 1, 2009, and who are not yet paid in full, will have the supplement automatically removed from their outstanding balance.

People made in full will still receive an OBC.

Although RCCL reserves the right to reinstate them if it goes back above $65/barrel on the previously announced quarterly dates.

I for one am very happy to get a refund on price rather than an OBC.

Yippee.

Hawt1 - are you going to keep this thread rolling until we know for sure we won't have it added back in?

Well - just read on the main boards that the fuel surcharge is being removed for all cruises leaving after Jan 1. :D Here is what the article said ..

-- Guests with existing bookings for sailings that depart on or after January 1, 2009, and who are not yet paid in full, will have the supplement automatically removed from their outstanding balance.

People made in full will still receive an OBC.

Although RCCL reserves the right to reinstate them if it goes back above $65/barrel on the previously announced quarterly dates.

I for one am very happy to get a refund on price rather than an OBC.

Yippee.

Hawt1 - are you going to keep this thread rolling until we know for sure we won't have it added back in?

RCCL's website confirms the above: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentPage.do;jsessionid=0000Y8ENBsY-H9v8A_kxs6fpyy7:12hbioan0?pagename=fuel_supplement

Got the Press Release from Investor Relations:

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Suspends Fuel Supplement

MIAMI, Dec. 5 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. today announced the suspension of its fuel supplement for Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Cruises sailings that depart on or after January 1, 2009, anywhere in the world.

The decision reflects the recently sustained lower price of fuel.

Effective Monday, December 8, guests making new bookings for sailings that depart on or after January 1, 2009, will not be charged the fuel supplement.

Guests already booked on sailings that depart on or after January 1, 2009, will receive a refund of any fuel supplement paid, as follows:

-- Guests with existing bookings for sailings that depart on or after January 1, 2009, and who are now paid in full, will have the supplement automatically refunded to them in the form of an onboard credit during their sailing.

The company reserves the right to reinstate fuel supplement charges if the price of West Texas Intermediate fuel exceeded $65 per barrel, on the quarterly milestone dates mentioned in the company's October 24, 2008, press release.

The company announced on October 24, 2008, that no fuel supplement would be charged for new bookings made on or after November 10, 2008, for sailings that depart on or after January 1, 2010, unless there is an upturn in fuel prices. Today's announcement does not affect those previous terms.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is a global cruise vacation company that operates Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Pullmantur, Azamara Cruises and CDF Croisieres de France. The company has a combined total of 38 ships in service and six under construction. It also offers unique land-tour vacations in Alaska, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Europe and South America. Additional information can be found on http://www.royalcaribbean.com, http://www.celebrity.com, http://www.pullmantur.es, http://www.azamaracruises.com, http://www.cdfcroisieresdefrance.com or http://www.rclinvestor.com.

SOURCE Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

-0- 12/05/2008

/CONTACT: Michael Sheehan, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., +1-305-539-6572/

/Web site: http://www.royalcaribbean.com /

(RCL)

CO: Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

ST: Florida

IN: LEI TRA

SU:

DB-MI

-- CLF069 --

6214 12/05/2008 17:04 EST http://www.prnewswire.com