Gratuity question

reginar

[quote name='dan40']Quote
The one poster might be correct that the cruisline could keep some of the tips for administration purposes. Where I currently work as a server they keep [U][I][B]18% of all of my credit card tips[/B][/I][/U]. Since so many people use credit and debit cards it is quite a bit of money.

She said credit card tips, if it were for taxes or tip sharing, wouldn't it be 18% of all tips?

Dan[/quote]

Yes, but she'd be required to tip out the bartenders and the busboys herself from the cash tips that she received. Since the restaurant was in receipt of the credit card tips, they could be tipping out the bartenders and the busboys directly from the gross tips and then giving the waitress back the net amount. I'm not saying that this is definitely the case, I'm just surmising that this is in fact what might be occurring.

I have worked in a restraunt for over twenty years (16 years in one place) and I never had to share any of my tips (I work the breakfeast shift). I just moved to a different state because my husband had a new job and I started to work at a family owned restraunt and they take out the 18 percent to pay the busser and a manager that they both pay "under the table". None of this money goes to pay any of my taxes because they take out taxes out of my $2.13 an hour which gives me a paycheck of maybe $20 for a fifty hour week.

I do not know if this is standard practice in some restraunts or not but I will always tip in cash.

[quote name='katiel53']
Carnival doesn't keep any of the tip money for administrative purposes. It is distributed using their guidelines.[/quote]

How can you be sure?

You honestly believe that they collect a million a week in tips and [B]they eat[/B] the $20,000.00 to $30,000.00 in credit card fee's?

You think they will wire the thousands of crew's monies all over the world for free?

You think they pay a staff to administer all the above for free?

Steve

[quote name='zqvol']Trust me it is not an age thing, it is a lack of manners thing.[/quote]

MANNERS? Since when did what I personally tip have to do with manners? Tipping is a personal decision and you can throw out precentages all you want, but there is no required precentage written into law.

[quote name='dan40']Quote
The one poster might be correct that the cruisline could keep some of the tips for administration purposes. Where I currently work as a server they keep [U][I][B]18% of all of my credit card tips[/B][/I][/U]. Since so many people use credit and debit cards it is quite a bit of money.

She said credit card tips, if it were for taxes or tip sharing, wouldn't it be 18% of all tips?

Dan[/quote]

[quote name='bplazo']I have worked in a restraunt for over twenty years (16 years in one place) and I never had to share any of my tips (I work the breakfeast shift). I just moved to a different state because my husband had a new job and I started to work at a family owned restraunt and they take out the 18 percent to pay the busser and a manager that they both pay "under the table". None of this money goes to pay any of my taxes because they take out taxes out of my $2.13 an hour which gives me a paycheck of maybe $20 for a fifty hour week.

I do not know if this is standard practice in some restraunts or not but I will always tip in cash.[/quote]

If they are taking out over $80 from a $100 pay check, the amount of tip I leave is the least of your problems. Not to mention that NO federal tax would be due that sum, so you have FICA and state tax maybe.

The truth is, I suspect they are taking out the taxes based on min wage at the least and they should be taking out the taxes for your salary PLUS your tips. You do turn those in right? I am sure you do.

As for how many people my waitress has to "tip out" of what I leave, that is not my problem. I tip the person who served me and if they are forcefully taking your earned tips and giving them to someone else, you need to be looking up the number of the wage and hourly people.

And just as a side note, for the poster making a comment about spit happens, I would definately think really hard about that. Tampering with food is a federal offense. How would you like to be looking for a job with a felony on your record?

[quote name='steveaaaaa']How can you be sure?

You honestly believe that they collect a million a week in tips and [B]they eat[/B] the $20,000.00 to $30,000.00 in credit card fee's?

You think they will wire the thousands of crew's monies all over the world for free?

You think they pay a staff to administer all the above for free?

Steve[/quote]

You rant and rant and rant over this, and always without a shred of logic or proof.

I'm sure they do not pay MORE in tips than they collect from credit card companies. But I have no proof of that same as you do not. But if the line gets 99.5 % from the credit card company, you have no proof, or even an inkling that the line does not pass on that 99.5% to the employee. But IF credit card fees ARE your complaint, then the workers will suffer, because I'm going to leave it on my cc.

Does the cruiseline wire money all over the world for free? I don't know and you don't know either, the difference is I don't care if they charge a fee. Why? Am I unfeeling about the plight of the 3rd world workers? Well, YES, I am unfeeling about their plight. And I also am logical enough to understand that they have to pay a fee to some facility, no matter HOW they get the money home! I'd guess Carnival's fee is the same or less.

[I][B]"You think they pay a staff to administer all the above for free?"[/B][/I]

I don't think about who they pay to do whatever. Its not my concern.
And what they do or don't do is strictly conjecture on your part.
Are you right or wrong? YOU do not KNOW, and I do not know. But you are chocking on gnats and swallowing elephants. [SIZE=3][COLOR=Red][I][B]IF[/B][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE] there is a small % admin fee, it pales in comparison to the 90 Plus % that do not tip a cent when auto-tips are removed.[SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]I think you are a non-tipper, but lIke you, I don't KNOW.
[/COLOR]
Dan
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I only come to these boards just before I cruise...they are always a fun way to get excited about my trip and get caught up on anything new. The other thing I love is seeing the same losers still arguing about silly things like tips and formal night...[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I'd say "GET A LIFE", but then I would have nobody on here to laugh at...[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Thanks for being so silly. :rolleyes:[/SIZE][/FONT][IMG]http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc199/jakieemma/loser.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='MadManOfBethesda']Just curious, what do think "incidentals" refers to??

Here's an idea for you: Before attempting to post information on a message board, you might actually want to - - - you know - - - research your answer so you don't post incorrect information. You look especially foolish when you attempt to contradict previously posted information that was correct to begin with!

I hope some of your other 5,989 posts actually contain correct information and not just random ramblings that have no basis in reality.

I'll try to make this simple for you: Under GSA policy incidentals [B][I][U]are[/U][/I][/B] tips. As a matter of fact, the Federal Travel Regulations specifically mention [COLOR=red][B][I][U]tips to hotel maids[/U][/I][/B] as one of the specific uses[/COLOR] for your $3 day allowance for incidentals.

Here's the link for you. And to make it even easier for you (because I know that is probably necessary), I direct your attention to FAQ #11.

[URL]http://www.gsa.gov/Portal/gsa/ep/contentView.do?faq=yes&pageTypeId=8203&contentId=16365&contentType=GSA_OVERVIEW#11[/URL][/quote]
As a govermental traveler the $3 incidentals are not [B]just [/B]tips for hotel maids. It is also for phone calls, valet tips, and other uses.

[quote name='skylock']Considered bad by who? The person getting the 10%? well duh.

If I go to Ruby Tuesdays and get 2 burgers with drinks, it is $40. 10% is a $4 tip. 15% is $6.

Now if I go to a local place, those 2 burgers and drinks will be $15. 10% would be $1.50. 15% is $2.25.

But the waitress in both places do the same amount of work. And I get the same service.

I do not do precentages anymore. I tip per person, in both cases it would be $3.

$1.50 per person is more than enough for someone to put a burger in front of me and bring me a bottle of ketchup.

If I have more than basic demands or if the server knocks themselves out is some way, it will be increased, but for basic service, that is it.[/quote]

Wow your one of those people that no server wants to wait on.
your the kind of person who should just eat fast food. Then you don,t have to worry about tipping.

[QUOTE]
And just as a side note, for the poster making a comment about spit happens, I would definately think really hard about that.
[/QUOTE]

For the record, I would never tamper with your food. I have far more self respect and class than that. But if the cheap tipper folks who go to the same restaurant over and over think that I'm the rule rather than the exception, they're sadly mistaken. There are servers who get the same cheapo over and over who [I]will [/I]tamper with your food. I don't condone it. I think it's disgusting, I'm just telling you that it happens.

[QUOTE]
they should be taking out the taxes for your salary PLUS your tips. You do turn those in right? I am sure you do.

[/QUOTE]

Again, for the record, I have always claimed every cent I've made. Honestly? I can understand why people don't, but the pressure would be too much for me.

Now, with most folks paying with some sort of card, the option is out of the hand of most servers. The computer knows what your tips are and the computer makes the claim.

As a side note, if I make 100.00 in tips, and my sales were 500.00, I tip out 15.00 at my restaurant, but I'm still paying taxes on the 100.00. So, over the course of a year, I'm paying taxes on a whole lot more money than I actually made.

[quote=Ocham's_Razor;17170559][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]The other thing I love is seeing the same losers still arguing about silly things like tips and formal night...[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I'd say "GET A LIFE", but then I would have nobody on here to laugh at...[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Thanks for being so silly. :rolleyes:[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

And thank you for pointing out the silliness of all the same ol' arguing around here. I used to love perusing the c.c. board, but it seems to me like each year there's more arguing, more pettiness, more rudeness. It's been bothering me a bit... I just have to look at it from your point of view. Have a good laugh and move on. :p

As I said in an earlier post, I accept and appreciate that tipping is part of American culture, and I get on with it. I do however abhor it. Not just because it means you are invariably paying huge companies staff's wages for them.

But there is another reason. And it has been highlighted on this thread.

The wrong people get tipped the wrong amount. Always.

If someone opens a door for me, in an effort to get money, they deserve a smack in the face, not a tip.

If someone cleans my bedroom up for me. After I have used the toilet, slept naked in the bed clothes and generally used the room as if it were in my own house - They deserve a tip.

Oh, and Maitre D's - no way, no how. But waiting staff, I always give extra to.

We are traveling with five of us, including three small children (oldest is three). We will be tipping the fully, recommended gratuity for everyone, includng the toddlers not old enough for Camp Carnival.
While I do not agree that children are more work than adults (that may just be because I am such a great mom, but oh well) - there are not less work than adults. So, full tipping is in order. Just consider it part of the price of the cruise and determine affordability at that point.

[quote name='compman9']As I said in an earlier post, I accept and appreciate that tipping is part of American culture, and I get on with it. I do however abhor it. Not just because it means you are invariably paying huge companies staff's wages for them.[/quote]

In London, we hopped off the "hop on, hop off" bus, to duck into McDonald's to get a drink because I knew McD's would have ice for the drink. I ordered a medium coke and the wife had a small cone. The total was about $10.00 US. That same order would cost around $3.00 TOPS in the US and I know it includes the huge Micky D's company salary. For the servers AND the execs. What did I cover extra in England with my xtra $7.00? There wasn't anything like a tip in that figure was there?

[quote name='compman9']The wrong people get tipped the wrong amount. Always.[/quote]

Sometimes I feel like a broken record. EACH cruiseline does tipping in their own way. Princess, altho Carnival owned, could be considered a British line still. They POOL ALL the auto-tips to be shared by the room stewards and waiters.

On Carnival $1.00 of the $10.pppd auto-tip is pooled to be shared by the buffet staff. The remaining $9.00 is shared [a set amount for each] by the room steward that does take care of YOUR room. And the wait team that serves you at your table in the dining room. AND you are free to change the amounts up or down for each individually. So, on Carnival, the "wrong" people are NOT receiving your tips.

No matter what product or service you purchase. No matter where in the world you do that purchase. You ALWAYS are paying every cent of the saleries of every person employed by that company. Including bonuses and retirement plans. Also including all saleries, bonuses, commissions, retirements, vacations and costs of all persons and distributors involved in the marketing chain to bring that product to market. You are also covering all costs of the delivery, trucking, freight poeple and companies. And on and on.:eek:

Why let a palrty few more TIP dollars bother you?:D

Dan

[quote name='dan40']In London, we hopped off the "hop on, hop off" bus, to duck into McDonald's to get a drink because I knew McD's would have ice for the drink. I ordered a medium coke and the wife had a small cone. The total was about $10.00 US. That same order would cost around $3.00 TOPS in the US and I know it includes the huge Micky D's company salary. For the servers AND the execs. What did I cover extra in England with my xtra $7.00? There wasn't anything like a tip in that figure was there?[/QUOTE]

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_living[/url]

While I think it is unfair to cut out the tips, DH and I were in line at the Purser's desk on the day the tips were posted to S&S accounts during our week cruise on Triumph (departed 11/23/08 to Eastern Caribbean). I just wanted to ask on which night the cocktail party for repeat cruisers would be held, but the line was full of people not reducing, but getting a full credit for the $70 per person tip. Of course these people were telling the purser that they would tip in cash, but I really wonder how many did! We loved our dining servers so much that we entertained the idea of going to the Purser's office to increase their tips, but the last night of the cruise, the line was so long (maybe others eliminating tips??), we just gave them additional cash.

BTW, we also tipped a bar server who had been especially nice to us during the cruise. She went out of her way to be kind and when DH ordered a tiramisu martini, she brought me the leftover part from the shaker bottle to try, which ended up being half a martini!! When we gave her a cash tip the last night of the cruise, she actually seemed embarrassed, so I wondered if maybe this was not appropriate. We just wanted to thank her for her kindness, but I wonder if this is appropriate?

How in the heck do some people get such detailed info about who gets how much, when they get it, where they get it, who get a cut and whose back got scratched to get it. It sounds like some of these insider experts may be lacking some evidence to support these claims, excluding personal experience of course. It sounds more like rumor or speculation. IMHO Tip or don't it's just personal preference. :)

[quote name='dan40']In London, we hopped off the "hop on, hop off" bus, to duck into McDonald's to get a drink because I knew McD's would have ice for the drink. I ordered a medium coke and the wife had a small cone. The total was about $10.00 US. That same order would cost around $3.00 TOPS in the US and I know it includes the huge Micky D's company salary. For the servers AND the execs. What did I cover extra in England with my xtra $7.00? There wasn't anything like a tip in that figure was there?

Sometimes I feel like a broken record. EACH cruiseline does tipping in their own way. Princess, altho Carnival owned, could be considered a British line still. They POOL ALL the auto-tips to be shared by the room stewards and waiters.

On Carnival $1.00 of the $10.pppd auto-tip is pooled to be shared by the buffet staff. The remaining $9.00 is shared [a set amount for each] by the room steward that does take care of YOUR room. And the wait team that serves you at your table in the dining room. AND you are free to change the amounts up or down for each individually. So, on Carnival, the "wrong" people are NOT receiving your tips.

No matter what product or service you purchase. No matter where in the world you do that purchase. You ALWAYS are paying every cent of the saleries of every person employed by that company. Including bonuses and retirement plans. Also including all saleries, bonuses, commissions, retirements, vacations and costs of all persons and distributors involved in the marketing chain to bring that product to market. You are also covering all costs of the delivery, trucking, freight poeple and companies. And on and on.:eek:

Why let a palrty few more TIP dollars bother you?:D

Dan[/quote]

I think the extra cost for MacDonalds in the UK is because it is just very expensive here.

I didn't say the wrong people on Carnival were being tipped. Apart from the guys that peel the spuds and make the loaves (who deserve more than most!), I was speaking generally. That is why I mentioned people opening doors getting tipped - most notably in Las Vegas.

I am also fully aware of how profit and loss accounts work, and who pays all the bills. It is the way it is calculated that bothers me and I have to say, the vast majority of Brits that visit your country.

We prefer to pay the full ten bucks to the company, not four to the company and six to the staff or whatever. As I said, I respect that it is your way and get on with it. I just prefer the rest of the world's system of payment.

[quote name='tedjazz']How in the heck do some people get such detailed info about who gets how much, when they get it, where they get it, who get a cut and whose back got scratched to get it. It sounds like some of these insider experts may be lacking some evidence to support these claims, excluding personal experience of course. It sounds more like rumor or speculation. IMHO Tip or don't it's just personal preference. :)[/quote]

FYI,

From Carnival's website:

Frequently Asked Questions
What is the tipping policy onboard?

Service Gratuities

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $10.00 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:

$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

For Cruises-To-Nowhere, gratuities of $10 per guest, per day must be prepaid.

Our Staff is totally committed to exceed your expectations in every way possible. If you are not satisfied with the service you receive, we encourage you to contact the Purser’s Information desk while onboard. This will allow us to address your concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. At your discretion, you may adjust the gratuities at any time.

For beverage purchases, fifteen percent of the bill is automatically added to the Sail & Sign charge. Room Service staff may be tipped as service is rendered. Tipping your Maître d’ is at your discretion, based upon the service you receive.

From Princess website:

Question: What are the tipping guidelines for my cruise?
Answer: During your cruise, you will meet staff throughout the ship who provide you with excellent service. Many more crew support those who serve you directly. To save you the worry of who to tip and how much, Princess makes it easier for you to reward excellent service by automatically adding a discretionary Hotel and Dining charge of $11 USD for suites and mini-suites and $10.50 USD for all other staterooms per person per day (including children) to your shipboard account on a daily basis. This charge will be shared amongst those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience, including the wait staff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, galley staff, laundry staff and others. Casino dealers and Lotus Spa personnel do not share in the Hotel and Dining charge as not all passengers utilize these services.

Casino dealers and Lotus Spa personnel do not share in the Hotel and Dining charge as not all passengers utilize these services.

A 15% charge is automatically added to your bar charges and dining room wine account. This is shared amongst the beverage staff and their support staff, including cleaners and utility staff.

This comes from the desire to deal in facts, to conduct oneself with knowledge. So that when the uninformed and inexperienced accuse one of hearsay and poppycock. One simply chuckles at their lacks.

Dan

[quote name='dan40']FYI,

From Carnival's website:

Frequently Asked Questions
What is the tipping policy onboard?

Service Gratuities

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $10.00 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:

$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

For Cruises-To-Nowhere, gratuities of $10 per guest, per day must be prepaid.

Our Staff is totally committed to exceed your expectations in every way possible. If you are not satisfied with the service you receive, we encourage you to contact the Purser’s Information desk while onboard. This will allow us to address your concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. At your discretion, you may adjust the gratuities at any time.

For beverage purchases, fifteen percent of the bill is automatically added to the Sail & Sign charge. Room Service staff may be tipped as service is rendered. Tipping your Maître d’ is at your discretion, based upon the service you receive.

From Princess website:

Question: What are the tipping guidelines for my cruise?
Answer: During your cruise, you will meet staff throughout the ship who provide you with excellent service. Many more crew support those who serve you directly. To save you the worry of who to tip and how much, Princess makes it easier for you to reward excellent service by automatically adding a discretionary Hotel and Dining charge of $11 USD for suites and mini-suites and $10.50 USD for all other staterooms per person per day (including children) to your shipboard account on a daily basis. This charge will be shared amongst those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience, including the wait staff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, galley staff, laundry staff and others. Casino dealers and Lotus Spa personnel do not share in the Hotel and Dining charge as not all passengers utilize these services.

Casino dealers and Lotus Spa personnel do not share in the Hotel and Dining charge as not all passengers utilize these services.

A 15% charge is automatically added to your bar charges and dining room wine account. This is shared amongst the beverage staff and their support staff, including cleaners and utility staff.

This comes from the desire to deal in facts, to conduct oneself with knowledge. So that when the uninformed and inexperienced accuse one of hearsay and poppycock. One simply chuckles at their lacks.

Dan[/QUOTE]

I get all of this info that you have posted, I have read it before. What I don't get is that some people seem to have this insiders guide to some backroom deals and the M'd takes some from somewhere and Carnival takes a cut here or there. That's what I'm refering to.

Archived