Destiny 11/22 Missed Port in Ocho Rios???

boozecruise78

Hey guys/gals,

We were on Ruby Princess the same day we both missed Ocho Rios. It was very upsetting to miss OR, as we had excursion scheduled for Dunn's Riverfalls, River Tubing + Reggae beach.. But.. wind was 53 Knots ( 1 knot is approx 1.15 miles). I absolutely sure we would be flown from Jamaica if made an attempt to dock.

Aside from that, we had beautiful sunny seaday, while it was pouring rain in Ocho Rios!

I feel for you.. we at least had another 3 ports after OR.. My co-worker sailed on your cruise for his family very first one!!! I hope he liked it, he took 5 dayer on purpose to see if his wife and kids like it.

Oh.. I think we got $9 per person, maybe not even that. I don't believe anybody was talking about FCC.

Here is a picture of Destiny sailing near Jamaica.

RubyPrincessDestinyMissingJamaicaLikeWe.jpg.bb6930d30fcd1b99b6ee2a57b5e92da2.jpg

Hey guys/gals,

We were on Ruby Princess the same day we both missed Ocho Rios. It was very upsetting to miss OR, as we had excursion scheduled for Dunn's Riverfalls, River Tubing + Reggae beach.. But.. wind was 53 Knots ( 1 knot is approx 1.15 miles). I absolutely sure we would be flown from Jamaica if made an attempt to dock.

Aside from that, we had beautiful sunny seaday, while it was pouring rain in Ocho Rios!

I feel for you.. we at least had another 3 ports after OR.. My co-worker sailed on your cruise for his family very first one!!! I hope he liked it, he took 5 dayer on purpose to see if his wife and kids like it.

Oh.. I think we got $9 per person, maybe not even that. I don't believe anybody was talking about FCC.

Here is a picture of Destiny sailing near Jamaica.

Tatka, thanks for the pic!

Yes, we were like sisters in a way--cruising pretty much right next to each other quite often and then anchoring next to one another in GC... :)

Nice to meet you!

Thank you Debra,

I like your attitude!

Have many many future cruises with great weather! And try Princess, it's nice. :)

Considering we get a past-guest discount on Princess, we just might. I said to Barry that it would be fun to try another Carnival line. I just wish those cruises (like on Princess, Cunard, HAL, etc.) would count toward our Platinum status!

Maybe we'll see you aboard :)

:)

This was our second cruise on Princess..We wanted to check if Princess was THIS good, and yes, she was, but better. :D

I'll tease you a bit

This is one of 2 adult-only pools (it's my DH on the last picture having a lunch by the pool)

RubyPrincessAftPool2.jpg.bfdfc7640c6603412c025aa8f4548a18.jpg

RubyPrincessAdultAftPool.jpg.a65d76dc6969098aff1e9562a5951e59.jpg

RubyPrincessLunchGrandCayman.jpg.11f99d2697d1f8229068810308af2b0b.jpg

I cruised on the Liberty Sept 6-13 of this year. If you missed a port, then oh well, we missed ALL our ports we were supposed to go to. We didn't go to Half Moon Cay, we went to Grand Cayman. We didn't go to St Thomas, we went to Cozumel. We didn't go to San Juan, we went to Belize. Lastly, we didn't go to Grand Turk, we went to Ilsa Roatan instead. We couldn't have even gone to Grand Turk as Ike did major damage to GT. I had a great time. I shrugged it off because I knew a week before Ike was on his way and that only two days before I knew we had a greater than 75% chance of going somewhere else! We did, but I had a smashingly good time, except for the second degree sunburn--it hurts, and sleeping was even worse...

The destiny is a good sized ship, now if you choose to go on say one of RCI's 130000 tonne plus ship expect the same thing to happen if the conditions are the same.

Bigger ship + bad weather = Confident, but never assured that docking will be guaranteed

Medium ship + bad weather = an attempt might be made and aborted midstream

Small ship + bad weather = They don't even make an attempt

The smaller ships are eaiser to maneuver into port, while the larget mega ships are more challenging. The Captain probably felt that the turn + the current would push them off course and cause damage to the ship or pier. That is not what they want to happen, so they opt to abort. They do not do this lightly, all the officers on deck who are assisting with docking have a say, but the Captain has final.

I've been to Ocho Rios and the space they have to manuever in is fair, but not wide open. If the waves are up and the current is strong, I'd be watching and wondering if the ship will make it....

Most of RCI ships are larger than Carnival's. NCL has ships aroub the same size as Carnival.

...We decided on this cruise based on the itinerary...

This was your first mistake.

As many have already mentioned, the cruiseline can change the scheduled ports at any time and they don't have to ask the passengers first.;)

We just got off Liberty and she was supposed to be cruising in the Mediterranean this season! Talk about a port change!

Archived