Premier Cruises Big Red Boat II

ryndam

I just returned from a wonderful cruise on the Crystal Harmony. We were in Freeport, Bahamas last Saturday, 10/30/04, and the former Big Red Boat II was tied up near our pier, looking rather forlorn and shabby. I posted several pictures at this weblink:

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/picturepost/view.php?uid=2582

The ship appears to be currently registered in Wonsan, North Korea, there was a small crew of Indian caretakers guarding the gangway, and I noticed several oscillating box fans positioned at open hatchways and hull openings. Not much activity aboard, otherwise.

Hi,

That boat pictured is the former Eugenio C., owned by Costa lines. She was built in 1966. I sailed her numerous times in the Med. she was a nice ship in her prime. She catered mostly to Europeans. It is sad to see her in such a state. Last report I heard is she is having problems with her engines and is awaiting towing to the scrap yards.

• 3 months later...

We sailed the Royale in 1986 and a year later the newly renovated Oceanic in 1987. Saw the Oceanic docked in San Juan 2000. It was sad. Several people were making fun of the ship. I had to defend her as I had a great time aboard 1987. A note that was the year we traveled in 11 inches of snow to Columbus, Ohio to catch our plane. Great memories.

• 1 month later...

Big Red Boat left her Freeport Layup in route to India for scrapping this morning. Although she remains for sale until she reaches her destination, there appears to be little chance of a qualified buyer for this much troubled, but still viable ship.

Another one to strike off the rolls......

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Did my first cruise on Big Red Boat 2, When she was Edinburgh Castle. Was having problems with engines at that time, because of problems we actually got a free cruise. Loved the boat and it's effect was that we have done at least one cruise a year since. Pity such a boat now in pieces.

Middy.

Archived