Explain Fuel Surcharge Refund Policy

odiesam

Okay, I have read all these posts and have to say, I didn't realize there would be a math test when I booked my 2009 Celebrity cruise! If ship A sails in month B with oil at price C per barrell then.........will I or won't I get a refund.....? LOL

I'm with you!!! I wish Celebrity would make it simple for us. However, I understand their need to hedge a profit. It just seems confusing..............

I understand the notice to mean this (which I previously posted in this thread):

ALL 2009 SAILINGS WILL BE ELIGIBLE FOR A SURCHARGE REFUND IN THE FORM OF OBC if the conditions are met. For sailings in the first quarter of 2009 (Jan., Feb., and Mar.), West Texas Intermediate has to be at LESS THAN $65.00 at close of stock exchange business on December 18, 2008.

This is REGARDLESS of whether or not you booked before or after November 10th. The November 10th date applies to 2010 sailings.

Again, this is MY understanding of the policy. Someone can jump in and correct me if they disagree or have information other than that provided on the Celebrity web site.

You are correct. That is the way I read it too. :):):) It's really not too confusing.

The latest newsletter from an on-line travel agency included this open letter to cruise industry executives written by its CEO. It would be appreciated if cruise lines take some of these ideas to heart, particularly regarding complicated formulas and OBCs.

***************************************** quote:

A great many of the folks who write ask me to pass along their comments to the appropriate party--usually a particular cruise line. We do that in person at the many meetings we have with the companies we represent, but since so many cruise line executives also read this letter, I want to take the opportunity to restate the overwhelming number one suggestion I am receiving today for improvement in the cruise industry:

Drop the fuel surcharge.

I hear it loud and clear, over and over, day after day.

Customers don't want the fuel surcharge phased out in 2010. They don't want possible refunds contingent on a complex calculation of fuel prices on certain dates. They just want the fuel surcharge to go away, so they'll know exactly what they are paying for their vacation upfront.

Cruise lovers are a sensible and diverse group, and they certainly don't agree on everything. There are people who don't want smoking allowed in staterooms and people who do, people who love freestyle dining and people who prefer assigned tables and times. There are people who want alcoholic beverages included in the upfront price and people who don't.

Cruise lines work hard to meet these demands and today there are ships and itineraries to satisfy every customer preference. That's the biggest reason our industry has grown through good times and bad--we give the customer what the customer wants.

But on the topic of fuel surcharges, there is only one type of customer, the type that doesn't like them, and that is reason enough to do away with them. Not in 2010, but as quickly as possible, for all future sailings.

Cruise customers want to know exactly what they are paying for their vacation when they buy it, not what the cost might be if the fuel surcharge is or is not refunded. If they paid a fuel surcharge and are due a refund, they want a credit to their credit cards, not a shipboard credit. That makes sense to me since there are some people who don't typically buy enough shore excursions or spa visits or wine or photos, etc., to use the credit.

The cruise industry was under enormous financial pressure when oil spiked to $147 per barrel, and I understand the economic necessity of passing that cost to the customer, in one form or another. All businesses pass their costs to their customers, otherwise they aren't businesses for very long.

But now that the cost of fuel has dropped just as precipitously, to $52 per barrel as I write this, the time is right to cancel fuel surcharges altogether. Let's reward our customers who love to cruise with a smooth and easy transaction.

It's what our customers want, let's give it to them.

***************************unquote

Wow - it's REALLY looking likely that the fuel surcharge will be refunded in the form of on-board credit for those cruising during the first quarter of 2009.

Yes, it would be nice to get it refunded to our credit cards, but hey - I'll take it. Could cover some nice extras aboard - specialty dining, maybe a shore excursion? Or even gratuities.

West Texas Intermediate closed at $43.50 today; the chances of it exceeding $65 by close of business on December 18th seem remote.

:D:D Color me happy! I've paid for nine ppl, four cabins!!!

Archived