Explain Fuel Surcharge Refund Policy

odiesam

I booked our cruise a couple days AFTER Nov 10th and will sail in 2009 - so does that mean I have no chance of any refund of the fuel surcharge? Why not allow those of us who booked after Nov 10th (in our case days after the 10th) the same ability to get a refund based on where oil prices are?

Sorry this topic has probably been discussed quite a bit already.

i have found that on X

For 2009 sailings and 2010 sailings booked before November 10, 2008, we will determine on a quarterly basis whether fuel supplements will be refunded. Refunds, in the form of an onboard credit, will be provided if the closing price of West Texas Intermediate fuel is $65 or less, at the closing time of the New York Mercantile Exchange, two weeks prior to the beginning of the upcoming calendar quarter. When those conditions are met, an onboard credit will be provided to all guests on sailings that begin during the upcoming calendar quarter.

what are they meaning --- Booked

we have a reservation, but not pay in full yet.

we have until 14 Th on december to pay it full

They have charges us, 10$ / day/person

so do you thing I can have a refund

Refunds, in the form of an onboard credit

what is a onboard credit????

we wan to take an excursion while in St-Kitts and St-Marteen

do you think that the credit will pay those things?

An onboard credit is a credit to your onboard account that you can use for any number of things. If you take your excursions through Celebrity, then the onboard credit can cover that cost. You can also have tips charged to your onboard accounts.

December 18th is the magic day for the first quarter sailings in 2009 if crude oil is under $65.00 a barrel . You will get a shipboard credit. Looks like those sailings until March 31st should get the credit.

Ontario Cruiser:)

March 15th 2009 Sailing

our date for paying in full is december 14th

what do you thing it will mean for us?

Lilijack - the date you booked is the date you made the reservation and paid the deposit. Your pay-in-full date does not affect your eligibility for the possible credit.

(Sorry - wish I could write in French for you!!) We are on your Feb. 22 sailing, and our pay-in-full date is December 10.

For people on our sailing, this means:

If West Texas Intermediate (a fuel supply company) is charging less than $65.00 per unit at the close of the stock exchange business day on 18 December 2008, we will get a refund of our fuel surcharge in the form of onboard credit for our cruise.

If you paid US $10.00 per person, per day (like we did), you would get a $140.00 shipboard credit. This would be applied to your account and you can spend it on anything having to do with being on the ship; shore excursions, specialty dining reservations, gratuities, onboard shopping, the spa, etc.

At least this is MY UNDERSTANDING of the situation. If anyone knows that I'm wrong, please write and correct!! Thanks!

Thanks for the responses but I still don't see an answer for those if us who booked AFTER Nov 10,2008 for a 2009 sailing. I read it to say those booked PRIOR to 11-10-08, they will apply the formula where they look at the quarterly price of oil. They also say those booking AFTER Nov 10, 2008 for 2010 ailings will pay no fuel supplement.

So again what does that mean for those of us who have booked AFTER Nov 10, 2008 for a 2009 sailing? Was this an accidental omission or does it mean we are stuck with the supplement regardless?

Thanks.

Thanks for the responses but I still don't see an answer for those if us who booked AFTER Nov 10,2008 for a 2009 sailing. I read it to say those booked PRIOR to 11-10-08, they will apply the formula where they look at the quarterly price of oil. They also say those booking AFTER Nov 10, 2008 for 2010 ailings will pay no fuel supplement.

So again what does that mean for those of us who have booked AFTER Nov 10, 2008 for a 2009 sailing? Was this an accidental omission or does it mean we are stuck with the supplement regardless?

Thanks.

I like pipedreams answer!

That said, I think it's just the interpretation of the wording, and believe you are potentially eligible for an OBC as per others. The wording is "For 2009 sailings and 2010 sailings booked before November 10, 2008, we will determine on a quarterly basis whether fuel supplements will be refunded.

I think you're reading it as 'For (all) sailings booked before November 10...' whereas I read it as 'For:

1) 2009 sailings and

2) 2010 sailings booked before November 10...'

Thus, your booking falls in that group where they determine on a quarterly basis your eligibility.

From X Notice

This decision takes into consideration the recent reductions in global fuel prices. We have also established specific guidelines that will determine whether fuel supplement refunds will be provided for sailings that begin in 2009 and later, which were booked prior to November 10, 2008, if fuel prices remain below a specific price threshold.

They are still charging fuel Sup for 2009 sailings but the refund policy is very ambiguous and knowing X ambiguous means in thier favour, so I would be wary about expecting a refund if you booked after 10th Nov for 2009 sailings.

That notice was written on October 24, so before the November 10 change.

In that context where they're saying no fuel surcharge for future bookings(yippee!), that paragraph was then an introductory point of interest to readers who would want to know where they currently stood, having already paid. It leads into the next paragraph where they explain the policy. I don't see it as inconsistent.

Okay - directly cut and pasted from the =X= web site just now:

-----------------

For 2009 sailings and 2010 sailings booked before November 10, 2008, we will determine on a quarterly basis whether fuel supplements will be refunded. Refunds, in the form of an onboard credit, will be provided if the closing price of West Texas Intermediate fuel is $65 or less, at the closing time of the New York Mercantile Exchange, two weeks prior to the beginning of the upcoming calendar quarter. When those conditions are met, an onboard credit will be provided to all guests on sailings that begin during the upcoming calendar quarter.

The dates on which the price of West Texas Intermediate fuel will be measured, and the quarters during which refunds could apply are:

Fuel Price Determination Date Quarter of Possible Fuel Supplement Refunds December 18, 2008 First quarter 2009

For those with sailing in the first quarter (Jan 1 - March 31) 2009, the determination for whether we receive an on-board credit will be made December 18, 2008. I am assuming it will be the closing price for that day. After today (Monday, Dec 1) there are only 13 trading days to go before we know where we stand.

The price as of this morning is $51.67, down from $54+ last Friday. A large reason for this is that OPEC met on the weekend and the majority of the OPEC members do not trust that Venezuela and Iran are meeting their production cut promises made last month. The production cuts were agreed to by the members in an effort to raise prices. Saudi Arabia believes that a $75 dollar price of Oil is realistic for the long term, but analysts predict that it will not return to that level as North American demand is falling due to the recession occuring. OPEC does not meet again until December 17 at which point they will discuss production cuts again. The price between December 17 and 18 could swing wildly, but not enough to go over $65 if the price stays below $60 before those dates. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

:It is interested to note that Carnival's policy differs from X and RCCL. They use a 15 day closing price average ($70 cut-off) to make their determination, eliminating the day to day volatility.

Thanks.

I'm with you and am totally confused. We booked after 11/10 for a 2009 cruise and I still do not understand what applies to our situation...............

I'm with you and am totally confused. We booked after 11/10 for a 2009 cruise and I still do not understand what applies to our situation...............

I understand the notice to mean this (which I previously posted in this thread):

ALL 2009 SAILINGS WILL BE ELIGIBLE FOR A SURCHARGE REFUND IN THE FORM OF OBC if the conditions are met. For sailings in the first quarter of 2009 (Jan., Feb., and Mar.), West Texas Intermediate has to be at LESS THAN $65.00 at close of stock exchange business on December 18, 2008.

This is REGARDLESS of whether or not you booked before or after November 10th. The November 10th date applies to 2010 sailings.

Again, this is MY understanding of the policy. Someone can jump in and correct me if they disagree or have information other than that provided on the Celebrity web site.

I booked our cruise a couple days AFTER Nov 10th and will sail in 2009 - so does that mean I have no chance of any refund of the fuel surcharge? Why not allow those of us who booked after Nov 10th (in our case days after the 10th) the same ability to get a refund based on where oil prices are?

Sorry this topic has probably been discussed quite a bit already.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Okay, I have read all these posts and have to say, I didn't realize there would be a math test when I booked my 2009 Celebrity cruise! If ship A sails in month B with oil at price C per barrell then.........will I or won't I get a refund.....? LOL

Archived