Trapped in Bangkok

bvfrenchknitter

The CBC in Canada had a report on the situation tonight. The good news is that there is no danger to tourists, as was the case in Mumbai. Tourists were shown eating in outdoor restaurants. The bad news is that unless the Thai army goes into the airport and forcibly removes the protesters, which could end in a bloody confrontation and throw the country into further turmoil, this occupation is supposed last at least until December 5 when there is some kind of a national holiday. The reporter spoke to some older Canadian tourists who were caught in this mess. They are very worried that their medications are running out and also that their medical insurance has expired. As for using the military airport to airlift people out, it is 3 hours away and is not able to handle large crowds of people. I wish there was more good news but that's it for now. It looks like most tourists will just have to wait this out. It is a stressful situation, but at least you are not in any danger and will eventually make it home.

The US Embassy in Bangkok has information about a credit (arranged by the Thai Government) for stranded tourists (link below):

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/112908_amcitizensinfo.html

It does not appear that they are organizing transportation out for stranded Americans. They say that they have heard that some airlines are working to arrange flights out of an alternative airport, but they don't have any details.

An interesting thing is that the US Govt has issued a travel bulletin for Thailand, but not a warning.

Best of luck to you!

This looks like the Thai government is really attempting to help. The amount of $56 USD I'm sure is a big help. Now it seems as though anyone that needs to leave can rebook from an alternative airport. I'm sure that there will be additional costs for transportation from Bangkok but there is a least some alternatives out there. If air is through Princess, shouldn't Princess rebook these passengers from one of the alternate airports and provide ground transportation since there is no end in site to this protest? or perhaps the stranded passengers can call the airline directly and they would be willing to help considering the situation. However, if these are consolidator fares the airlines are not very flexible. Hopefully in a situation as this they will be willing to help.

This looks like the Thai government is really attempting to help. The amount of $56 USD I'm sure is a big help. Now it seems as though anyone that needs to leave can rebook from an alternative airport. I'm sure that there will be additional costs for transportation from Bangkok but there is a least some alternatives out there. If air is through Princess, shouldn't Princess rebook these passengers from one of the alternate airports and provide ground transportation since there is no end in site to this protest? or perhaps the stranded passengers can call the airline directly and they would be willing to help considering the situation. However, if these are consolidator fares the airlines are not very flexible. Hopefully in a situation as this they will be willing to help.

It is important that these folks understand that Princess is no longer involved in this matter - that Princess cannot help - that Princess cannot rebook air - that Princess cannot provide transportation or anything else. At this point, it is up to the Thai government, the country of citizenship (for our poster, the U.S. Embassy) to make departure arrangements.

Getting obsessed about Princess, blaming them, waiting for them to "do something", trying to call them, yelling at them on the phone is simply nonproductive. They cannot give anyone aide.

These folks need to CALL the U.S. Embassy.....several times a day for updates and advice. They need to keep the TV's on to listen for news and updates....and they need to stay indoors.

I wonder why we haven't seen any of this in the News. Not on TV or newspaper. I don't doubt this is happening and feel sorry for the stranded people.

I would never chance taking a bus somewhere else to leave a city that is not safe. Who will keep you safe on a bus.

It's all over the news, Cable CNN, MSNBC, even FOX has hit on the subject. In addition, the newspapers are full of it too.

ABC, NBC, CBS has had it on their nightly news broadcasts.......

Tonights news show it getting a little nasty at the airport..

I am a US citizen and have already registered with the US embassy. I should also add that Luftanza is getting people out by bus to a smaller airfield and then flying them out from there so it is possible to get out in some ways. Wealthy people are chartering planes and helicopters and getting out also.

I disagree with those who say Princess has no responsibility. The local company in charge of our stay is communicating with Princess all the time. Some people have written a group letter to Princess and Princess has responded, mostly saying no we can't help. Princess has directed the local company to keep us here in the hotel, has forbidden us from taking tours far from the hotel (like the old capital - about 45 km away) and Princess has negotiated a slightly cheaper hotel rate for us and a free buffet breakfast (how big of them). Now they are running a few free tours and a couple of cooking demonstrations to amuse us. We've had meetings frequently about what Princess says and will do, previously daily but not in the last 2 days.

Our airplane reservations have been re-booked several times by the local company in hopes that the airport would open and as that date passes they re-book them again. Currently we are due to travel on the 4th of December.

If I had arranged this trip independently without Princess I would not consider them responsible but they are clearly involved in decision making here.

I don't know how long the standoff will continue. Some people are worried about the financial cost and others are facing losing their job. How many people can afford an unplanned hotel stay for an undetermined time? How many weeks could you afford to stay at a hotel on an unplanned basis?

As far as the trip insurance, some people say that this qualifies as a trip delay and we are covered. I don't know. I don't have the insurance documents here.

I can't imagine why anyone would think Princess bears no responsibilty in this situation. And as far as the reason for my posts, I think it is important for all to know what Princess is and is not doing for us. There are many angry people here but I am not one of them; I am frustrated and disappointed in Princess' responses to our troubles.

I cannot believe that, in spite of the good responses you've received here, in spite of knowledgable advice, in spite of what Princess has told you, you are still railing against Princess.

There is NOTHING they can do to get you on a flight out of the country.....nothing. You must do more than register with the Embassy......you need to be communicating with them EVERY day for any updates they can give you and to see what efforts are being made to get U.S. citizens out.

Many of us KNOW that this is not a situation Princess can fix...it is not their fault, it is not their party, they have nothing to do with this political situation and they cannot expidite your departure. You continue to blame them for something beyond their control and, meanwhile complain because you can't take any tours.

You should be proactively working with the U.S. embassy and your airline instead of crying to Princess....who can't do anything for you.

I feel this is not Princess's fault or responsibility. If anything, the burden should like on your cruise insurance if it's covered. I do feel this is a scary situation to be in and I'm glad I'm not there! I feel for anyone in this situation. I also feel that an employer that would have no consideration or sympathy for something like this, would not be one I would want to work for. I really don't believe that people would lose their jobs and employers would be this callus. I do believe that is an over exageration.

To the OP' date='[/color']

I pray that you will soon get out of the country safely. I can only imagine how scary this all has to be for you and the others that are stuck there.

So true. That is all that really matters under these circumstances. Sitting there trying to point fingers doesn't matter. It's people's safetey and getting home that matters.

it is really a shame tourists are caught up in this local mess but in my mind it is a distinct possibility when travelling in certain countries

why the original poster continues to blame princess is beyond me

my first thoughts would be how the hell do i get outa here

i would be on the phones finding a train plane bus whatever to get to the nearest operational airport and get some flight that would eventually get me to safety and home

princess has no control over airport authorities or airlines, seems to me they are doing a lot by listening

i cant see how anyone would even think princess has responsibility in this situation

whining on these boards is not going to help the travellers situation they would be better off spending time on an escape instead of complaining

am sorry about their situation but frankly grown-ups ought to take care of themselves

cnn just broadcast a report and said there were bombings at government house and at another airport

it also said the protestors claim they are not leaving the airport until the prime minister resigns

i would get outa ther NOW

Hi Frenchknitter

We too were on the Diamond and travelled independently to Cambodia. We were due to fly back to Bangkok on the day the airport was closed so were stuck in Cambodia. We eventually managed to get a flight to Kuala Lumpur then a flight back to London, so arrived home yesterday. Our luggage is however still in Bangkok airport and don't know if we'll see it again...

I've every sympathy for you and know how scary it can be, feeling out of control in a strange country and not knowing when or how you can get home. Its also very expensive - meals, phone calls, hotel bills you've not budgeted for and the knowledge that loved ones at home are worried about you. There are also practical problems like return to work dates, running out of essential medications etc

I am saddened by the smug, uncaring responses you've received and feel grateful those respondents weren't our fellow cruisers on the Diamond. I'll try to give them the benefit of the doubt and conclude that until you've been in this situation its easy to make snap glib criticisms.

Hope its soon alll sorted for you and Princess provide the support you're looking for!

Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) provides assistance to the stranded passengers

http://www.etravelblackboard.com/showarticle.asp?nav=13&id=85428

On the basis of assistance, for tourists and travellers who cannot travel to their destination as of 25 November, 2008, till the airport reopens, TAT and Ministry of Tourism and Sports have provided accommodation and meals, as well as facilitated tourists as much as possible until they are able to return to their destination. For more information regarding accommodation, please contact the Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA) ( Tel: +66 2 237- 6064 - 8, +66 2 632-7400 - 2), as well as the following Hotlines:

- 1414 : Ministry of Tourism and Sports

- 1672 : Tourism Authority of Thailand

- 1155 : Tourist Police

On the other hand, for any tourist whose visa has expired since 26 November, 2008, till the airport reopens, there will be no penalty or charge for overstay from the Immigration Bureau. However, tourists must show their original tickets to avoid being charged.

International Public Relations Division, Tourism Authority of Thailand

Fax: 662 253 7419

E-mail: prdiv3@tat.or.th

Many of the Diamond cruisers may be elderly or frail, and were certainly not looking for an 'adventure' holiday. Their natural assumption when booking a cruise - and one of the reasons they are prepared to pay pretty large sums of money - is that its a holiday that suits those who would not, for any number of reasons, be able to enjoy travelling in a less supported way.

I know that travel to 'exotic' destinations can be more problematic, and I'm sure those stranded know that too - they're not whiners, just fed up and worried. They will be getting help, sympathy and support from the Thai people - its just such a shame, and another blow, that those feelings are so lacking from their fellow countrymen.

cnn just broadcast a report and said there were bombings at government house and at another airport

it also said the protestors claim they are not leaving the airport until the prime minister resigns

i would get outa ther NOW

and go where with whom and do what? As tourist they are targets .

Many of the Diamond cruisers may be elderly or frail, and were certainly not looking for an 'adventure' holiday. Their natural assumption when booking a cruise - and one of the reasons they are prepared to pay pretty large sums of money - is that its a holiday that suits those who would not, for any number of reasons, be able to enjoy travelling in a less supported way.

I know that travel to 'exotic' destinations can be more problematic, and I'm sure those stranded know that too - they're not whiners, just fed up and worried. They will be getting help, sympathy and support from the Thai people - its just such a shame, and another blow, that those feelings are so lacking from their fellow countrymen.

I think everyone IS sympathetic for what is happening. It must be scary not knowing what is going on and being able to get home.

But everyone is right, if those trapped want to get out, stop blaming Princess and be pro-active and get in touch with the Embassy. What is going on there is out of Princess's control. I think it was good of Princess to do what they could to get reduced rates at the hotel. They are probably working behind the scenes trying to arrange alternative transportation, but with 100,000 people stranded, there probably isn't much they can do right now.

Many are giving helpful suggestions for the OP to do something on their own to get out instead of waiting for Princess to arrange something.

How is this the fault of Princess?

Again, I can't imagine what they are going through. I hope that they can get home soon. But the anger needs to be re-directed.

I think everyone IS sympathetic for what is happening. It must be scary not knowing what is going on and being able to get home.

But everyone is right, if those trapped want to get out, stop blaming Princess and be pro-active and get in touch with the Embassy. What is going on there is out of Princess's control. I think it was good of Princess to do what they could to get reduced rates at the hotel. They are probably working behind the scenes trying to arrange alternative transportation, but with 100,000 people stranded, there probably isn't much they can do right now.

Many are giving helpful suggestions for the OP to do something on their own to get out instead of waiting for Princess to arrange something.

How is this the fault of Princess?

Again, I can't imagine what they are going through. I hope that they can get home soon. But the anger needs to be re-directed.

Very well stated. I also think we are all sympathetic to the OP's being stranded in a country that is unsafe at the moment. In fact, VERY sympathetic.

The 'blame it on the cruise line' is what is getting the back lash from many.

Hopefully things will improve very soon and the OP will stay safe until arrangements can be made to fly them home.

The first thing we did was notify the Embassy when this started. The British embassy met with the Brits today and I've heard that the US embassy will be doing the same but don't know when yet.

Princess has continued to recommend that we stay where we are and has instructed their local reps to say the same. This weekend they offered free boat tours and cooking classes to molify us. Their local representatives were saying that "the skies should clear soon" until this past weekend and since then thay've said nothing.

The local airport where people are getting out is small and swamped. I believe it is a 12 hour bus ride there and I've read it can take days to leave. Trains are all booked into December. I've read that some wealthy people have chartered helicopters and private jets but that isn't within our reach. The news reports say it can cost several hundreds of thousands of dollars to charter a jet.

I am traveling with my 80 year old mother and she would have trouble with a 12 hour bus ride and hours or days waiting for a plane out. As it is she needs medication injected whenever she flies and we do not have enough for a protracted period of time. I don't believe she could survive such a lengthy and taxing process.

The thai government is crediting foreign nationals trapped in the crisis 2000 baht per day (about $56) but we have received conflicting instructions as far as the process goes.

Some countries are chartering planes (China, Singapore, Australia and Switzerland) to evacuate their citizens but the US has yet to do so.

There has been some violence but none in our area.

I am at a loss as far as leaving this county on our own. There are so many people trying to leave (some reports say 100,000 others 30,000) and so few resources that there doesn't seem any way out of this except relying on the US Gov't and/or Princess. And neither of them are doing anything. It is very frustrating.

This is absolutely correct. We found it extremely difficult to arrange transportation out of Cambodia as so many others were trying to do the same thing - flights were full, buses packed, taxis taken. Its overly simplistic to say 'just contact the embassy' when again thousands of others are doing the same thing. I sat with my mobile phone hanging on for replies to airlines etc where lines were engaged constantly and around me the hotel lobby was full with other tourists doing the same. Guess its one of those situations where you have to be there to understand what its like.

It is naive to think that all one has to do is go get a train or call a taxi home or ask the embassy for help. Of course people are going to blame Princess even though the reality is that there's not much more they can do at the moment. But they probably don't need you to keep telling them that.

Of course we are aware of the insurance policy exclusions, but I do think comments like those of G'ma are insulting and unnecessary. I begin to think that if anything will stop me crusing its the thought that I could be sharing a table with him (or her)!

From 'tripadvisor' Bangkok forum:

Posted on: 7:07 pm, yesterdaysaveIconLeft.gif Save

As you know some airlines are now using U-Tapao naval airbase which is located 150 km outside Bangkok.

This airfield is not set up for high density commercial operations.

Airlines are now organising check-in facilities at various hotels around Bangkok. It's extremely important that you contact your airline, even if it means constantly calling them for hours at a time, to register a contact number and where you are staying.

Airlines will call you when they are ready to transport you to U-Tapao. therefore it is critical that you stay in your hotel ready to go. if you are not there and miss the call you will not get out and you will drop to the bottom of the list and have to wait your turn again.

Thai airways are stating that from the moment of call and then to U-Tapao and all formalities they are looking at 5-7hrs.

Remember U-Tapao can only service 4 aircraft at any one time. Equipment and staff is being brought down to U-Tapao but it takes time.

Also make sure you have eaten or stock up on food/drink. there are no flight catering services for long haul flights.

good luck!

bkk3

It doesn't matter whose fault it is and whose fault it is not. The main thing is getting these people out safely. Caustic remarks do not help these unfortunate people with no place to turn and no one to turn to. It's easy for us to say do this and do that. We are not there sharing in this horrible situation. My heart and thoughts go out to all of you involved in this. I pray for a speedy resolution.

The first thing we did was notify the Embassy when this started. The British embassy met with the Brits today and I've heard that the US embassy will be doing the same but don't know when yet.

Princess has continued to recommend that we stay where we are and has instructed their local reps to say the same. This weekend they offered free boat tours and cooking classes to molify us. Their local representatives were saying that "the skies should clear soon" until this past weekend and since then thay've said nothing.

The local airport where people are getting out is small and swamped. I believe it is a 12 hour bus ride there and I've read it can take days to leave. Trains are all booked into December. I've read that some wealthy people have chartered helicopters and private jets but that isn't within our reach. The news reports say it can cost several hundreds of thousands of dollars to charter a jet.

I am traveling with my 80 year old mother and she would have trouble with a 12 hour bus ride and hours or days waiting for a plane out. As it is she needs medication injected whenever she flies and we do not have enough for a protracted period of time. I don't believe she could survive such a lengthy and taxing process.

The thai government is crediting foreign nationals trapped in the crisis 2000 baht per day (about $56) but we have received conflicting instructions as far as the process goes.

Some countries are chartering planes (China, Singapore, Australia and Switzerland) to evacuate their citizens but the US has yet to do so.

There has been some violence but none in our area.

I am at a loss as far as leaving this county on our own. There are so many people trying to leave (some reports say 100,000 others 30,000) and so few resources that there doesn't seem any way out of this except relying on the US Gov't and/or Princess. And neither of them are doing anything. It is very frustrating.

Your situation really makes me angry! Why can China, Spain, Taiwan and other countries be proactive in getting their citizens out of there and we do nothing.

This may not do any good, but I just sent an email to our State Senator Harry Reid telling him about the situation. You may want to try and email some of your State officials to see if they can put some pressure on the local Thai US embassy officials.

It doesn't matter whose fault it is and whose fault it is not. The main thing is getting these people out safely. Caustic remarks do not help these unfortunate people with no place to turn and no one to turn to. It's easy for us to say do this and do that. We are not there sharing in this horrible situation. My heart and thoughts go out to all of you involved in this. I pray for a speedy resolution.

Well said Lynda90, I agree with you & also pray for a speedy resolution.

Archived