Triumph vs. Miracle - Out of NYC

karen116

Hi - we've been on the Miracle twice out of NY and were looking for something different but don't want to fly. There is a 9 day cruise now on the Triumph out of NY to Quebec. We love the Miracle and the size of the ship. I'm asking for comments about the Triumph. We'll be booking 6 balcony rooms and one suite. Any suggestions........comments. Do all of the rooms have the mini refrig? Is there a laundry room? Any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you :)

The Triumph is a significantly different ship from the Miracle. In fact, we don't like the Triumph class at all, mainly due to the layout of the Lido deck, including the buffet. Just seems crowded. And, for some reason, those northbound cruises are just "DIFFERENT". Most people can't explain it, but they certainly don't come off as pleasing as a southbound cruise.

However, for something different, I would go on her as doing the same ole gets boring. But, I would also consider other lines going out of NY/NJ just to spice things up.

Thank you for your input.....I'm not sure i understand your statement about a northbound cruise. Care to explain?

My opinion- The cold glumy weather puts a damper on the mood of staff and passengers.. Its not warm sunny and uplifting.. when we were on the Victory we kept calling it the Edmund Fitzgerald because it was so depressing...

Karen -

I've been on both the Triumph and Miracle and liked them both. They are totally different ships. The Miracle much more subdued, the Triumph a lot livelier. Truth be told, I think I liked the Triumph better. As far as the NE cruises, haven't had experiences with those - but I live in RI!!! We visited a HAL ship which was in Newport on a Northern cruise. The demographics were quite obvious - an older crowd. I hear NE cruises all have the older crowd, not just HAL. So if this would suit you, fine.

Another option - Princess has a great 9 night cruise out of NY on the Caribbean Princess with an interesting itinerary - Bermuda, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas & Grand Turk.

Yes, the Triumph definitely had laundry facilities. I had an inner room, so I don't know about the fridge.

Good luck whatever you chose!

Karen -

I've been on both the Triumph and Miracle and liked them both. They are totally different ships. The Miracle much more subdued, the Triumph a lot livelier. Truth be told, I think I liked the Triumph better. As far as the NE cruises, haven't had experiences with those - but I live in RI!!! We visited a HAL ship which was in Newport on a Northern cruise. The demographics were quite obvious - an older crowd. I hear NE cruises all have the older crowd, not just HAL. So if this would suit you, fine.

Another option - Princess has a great 9 night cruise out of NY on the Caribbean Princess with an interesting itinerary - Bermuda, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas & Grand Turk.

Yes, the Triumph definitely had laundry facilities. I had an inner room, so I don't know about the fridge.

Good luck whatever you chose!

Elaine, Thank you so much for your response. I was interested in the ports as I've never been to any of the places that the 9 day cruise will be going to: After the Glaciers is Where Your Fun Begins!

Experience some of the most beautiful scenery south of Alaska on Carnival's new

9 day "Quebec -- After the Glaciers" cruise from New York. Wonder, wildlife and clear water surround you as you sail aboard Carnival Triumph and along the awe-inspiring scenery carved out by glaciers as they moved towards the sea. This unique itinerary features stops in the historic ports of Quebec City, Baie-Comeau and Havre St. Pierre.

We actually wanted to do something a little different.......we've all been on a bunch of cruises. I've been to Bermuda six times, PR 4 times, St. Thomas 4 times, Grand Turk twice, etc..........so no matter which line we go on we're still hitting the same ports.

I'm not sure about the older crowd.......my father would probably be happy but the little one might not enjoy it so much. We range in age from 9 to 85:)

Thank you again for your input and for letting me know that you enjoyed the Triumph...........i lived in CT close to RI for many years....i don't miss the snow :)

Karen - I wouldn't worry about the little one not enjoying it. Camp Carnival on the sea days will be loads of fun. I went to Quebec City last summer for a few days and absolutely loved it. It has a European charm about it. Very beautiful and romantic - outdoor cafes & restaurants; bakeries; just adorable! Also Quebec province has wonderful whale watching In the St. Lawrence River from May through October. Maybe the ship offers a tour? There are at least 4 types of whales you can see. We visited the Montmorency Falls - a very short ride outside of Quebec City. That was great. Haven't seen Niagra Falls yet, but these falls, though not as large, are a higher drop.

Usually the Northern cruises do not have such an interesting itinerary as the one you are looking at. They usually include Newport, Boston, Bar Harbor - all places I can drive to myself, so I wouldn't want to spend the money to take a cruise to those places.

As for snow - got slammed last year, hoping this year will be better. I had the ride from hell Dec. 13th last year trying to get home from work - took me 8 1/2 hrs. (usually a 20 minutes ride). I hope someday we can live someplace warm for the winter months. We just hate the cold - and my poor DH is a letter carrier!

Archived