Getting to Lisbon (Fall 2009 Legend)

curiousx

Hi there - all you experienced transatlantic crossers out there, my family would appreciate your advice.

We are (tentatively) on the Legend transatlantic crossing in November 2009 leaving from Lisbon and arriving in Fort Lauderdale.

In your opinion, what would be our best option for getting to Lisbon from central Canada?

How did you get there and where did you start from?

Many thanks

Curiousx.

We have signed up for this cruise. The one way fares are really bad.

On our two earlier cruises we bought an open jaw ticket - Dallas to Newark and Ft. Lauderdale to Dallas.

We bought a one way to Lisbon from Newark on TAP Portugal Air.

We always go at least one day early (Flight and Baggage problem).

However if you have time, go a few days early as Lisbon is a great place to visit.

Good Luck

Lefty Bob

I am signed up too, starting in Citavecchia. Sounds like we need a Roll Call. I am going to Rome a few days early, as well. Last tossed a lira in the Trevi Fountain in '67. Those were the days of Frommer's 'Europe on $5 & $10.00!

Curiousx.

We have signed up for this cruise. The one way fares are really bad.

On our two earlier cruises we bought an open jaw ticket - Dallas to Newark and Ft. Lauderdale to Dallas.

We bought a one way to Lisbon from Newark on TAP Portugal Air.

We always go at least one day early (Flight and Baggage problem).

However if you have time, go a few days early as Lisbon is a great place to visit.

Good Luck

Lefty Bob

Do you think it is worth waiting to see whether the Seabourn cruiseair fares will be more reasonable than the one ways?

So far, the best option we have found is one way on Aer Lingus (JFK) to Dublin and then Aer Lingus again from Dublin to Lisbon. If we get our tickets written the right way, we get the benefit of the international luggage allowance on both flights as well as an opportunity for a stopover in Dublin. And of course we'd want to arrive early to play tourist in Lisbon! Finally, Aer Lingus is a partner airline in our travel points program (Aeroplan) so there is a possibility of using or earning points with this route. Early days yet though!

Do you think it is worth waiting to see whether the Seabourn cruiseair fares will be more reasonable than the one ways?

So far, the best option we have found is one way on Aer Lingus (JFK) to Dublin and then Aer Lingus again from Dublin to Lisbon. If we get our tickets written the right way, we get the benefit of the international luggage allowance on both flights as well as an opportunity for a stopover in Dublin. And of course we'd want to arrive early to play tourist in Lisbon! Finally, Aer Lingus is a partner airline in our travel points program (Aeroplan) so there is a possibility of using or earning points with this route. Early days yet though!

Caveat Emptor. Ryan Air is trying to take over Aer Lingus.:(

I am signed up too, starting in Citavecchia. Sounds like we need a Roll Call. I am going to Rome a few days early, as well

I started getting nervous, reading about costs and lo and behold, I snagged a one-way business class ticket from PHL>FCO on USAir for only 80K FF miles and $77.00 in fees.

Of course, with the money I saved, I am flying in earlier and can sit in the Piazza Navona and slurp gelati.

I started getting nervous, reading about costs and lo and behold, I snagged a one-way business class ticket from PHL>FCO on USAir for only 80K FF miles and $77.00 in fees.

Of course, with the money I saved, I am flying in earlier and can sit in the Piazza Navona and slurp gelati.

congratulations - I hope we get lucky too!

In my experience, even with the two one-way flights associated with the crossings (the airlines really stick it to you with the one-way fares), I have always done better than Seabourn when I do my own air and book & pay for it as soon as possible after the fares and schedules are loaded into the airline reservation system, even in business class (either upgrading with miles or I have found great excursion business class fares). But by all means, get a quote from Seabourn and see if you can do better! I think you will.

In my experience, even with the two one-way flights associated with the crossings (the airlines really stick it to you with the one-way fares), I have always done better than Seabourn when I do my own air and book & pay for it as soon as possible after the fares and schedules are loaded into the airline reservation system, even in business class (either upgrading with miles or I have found great excursion business class fares). But by all means, get a quote from Seabourn and see if you can do better! I think you will.

We got the quote from Seabourn yesterday. For the North America to Lisbon leg, Seabourn's rate is close to three times more expensive than the Aer Lingus alternative I mentioned in my previous post. I am gobsmacked.

Archived