We're Panama Canal bound! Got questions?

melissa@cruisecritic

Hi everyone,

I am sitting in the Crow's Nest where many passengers are relaxing on this really nice but very hot sea day. The Explorations Café here is always bustling, with a puzzle in progress, several internet stations, and a neat book I thumbed through earlier today with reproductions of paintings of all of Holland America's ships from its earliest roots to the present day.

I have some more details to share regarding tomorrow's partial canal transit:

We are expected to take aboard our local pilot at around 5:30 a.m., according to the captain. At 7 we'll reach the Gatun Locks (the only locks that we'll traverse aboard Zuiderdam, as this is a partial transit).

We'll be outside of the locks by 8:55 and anchored at 9:30, and passengers who have tours booked from Gatun Lake can disembark. The timing for actually leaving the lake area and returning through the Gatun Locks depends on local traffic, but we're expected to be alongside Cristobal (Colon) around 3 p.m. At that point, other passengers can disembark.

You can watch the transit in real time by visiting http://www.pancanal.com (click on Webcams / Gatun Locks). I'll be waving!

I will share more information about my tour tomorrow.

A P.S. for Williebill: Cruise Director Johnny is going to find out for me whether the ship building contest will be held on the next voyage; it's not on the schedule (right now) for this particular cruise. I'll keep you posted!

Hello to everyone who is watching us via the Web cam, and those catching up a little later on :) It's 8:28 a.m. local time (EST). We've just entered the second chamber of the Gatun Locks after being raised 27 feet. The bow of the ship (Deck 4, forward) was opened up early this morning before the sun even rose, but I think you'd have to have slept out there to get a good spot! Other "crew only" areas completely forward (on Decks 5, 6, and 7) were also accessible, so we snagged railing space a little higher up. Crewmembers were handing out juice, chilled towels and "Panama Buns" (sort of like Danish, with sweet fruit in the middle); mimosas and bottled water and other drinks are offered for sale.

Zuiderdam just barely squeaks into the canal, with as we learned today only two feet to spare on either side! Eight locomotives that ride on rails alongside the locks tied up to the ship to help it stay steady as we slowly glided into each chamber (smaller ships might get four or six; eight is the max). Another tight fit: P&O's Oceana is right beside us currently, using the west lane as we use the east lane; Coral Princess is right behind us. If you are watching on the Web cam, you may notice some new flags on the Zuiderdam -- one is the Panamanian flag (as a port courtesy) and the other (with the "H" on it, for hotel) signals that a local pilot is indeed onboard.

As soon as we're through all three chambers, and in Gatun Lake, I'll be disembarking for the Canal Experience tour. It's a long day -- believe about seven hours! -- but I will post later about the experience.

Hi pokey,

I caught up with my new friends Joe and Kay, a lovely couple from Ohio, who are doing As You Wish dining. Their words: "it's awesome." They haven't made any reservations, just showed up whenever they felt like eating -- and so far, they haven't had to wait even a minute to be seated. When you arrive, you'll be asked if you want to sit alone (well, I imagine with your husband or wife, or whatever party you came with!) or with others. They've chosen to sit with others every night and Kay says it's been a wonderful way to meet a lot of new people. The flip side, however, is that you DO have different servers every night and you don't get close to any one waiter or team. To that end, she doesn't have a "favorite" to recommend. I'd say if you come the first night and like your server, you could easily show up around the same time every night (or make reservations for that time frame) and ask to be sat in his or her area.

Service in the dining room depends on where you sit and who you ask. Kay (who wants to eat and get right back out to the fun) thinks it could be speedier, whereas her husband Joe shook his head behind her and said that he rather enjoys the slow pace. I've found it to be just right -- and last night, a little faster than usual, which was appropriate since everyone needed to tuck in early for this morning's canal transit!

Melissa, we are on the next cruise (with WillieBill and DW). As you will be experiencing the Canal- What times do/did you get to the Miraflores Locks? And, to Balboa? With the web cam at the Miraflores Locks, it would be nice to capture the moment!

Are you in fixed dining or Anyway You Wish? How did it compare? What is the best way to plan your dining experience for AYW?

I'm having a ball traveling with you virtually! Thanks for the great info, Melissa.

I'll jump in and say that the private cabanas on Half Moon Cay are awesome, worth every penny (if you're in for the pound, to quote the expression, make sure you get a butler). It was a magical, peaceful, lovely day that I remember vividly some four years later :)

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Hi mendicant98,

What we've been told is that only passengers booked on HAL excursions may disembark in Gatun Lake; otherwise, folks have to remain onboard until Colon -- at which point, they can disembark no matter what. I will see what's what ashore there and report back to you. Same for Curacao tomorrow and Puerto Limon later in the week!

I have chosen to do a HAL tour in Puerto Limon, Costa Rica because I want to kayak -- and because it's my first time to the port, I personally feel more comfortable leaving the planning of that type of activity to the cruise line (whereas today in Aruba, which I've visited before, I absolutely booked an independent snorkeling catamaran).

This itinerary does include Half Moon Cay -- but we were unable to tender in unfortunately because of really rough seas, and the captain decided we should set course for Aruba instead as the conditions were not expected to change. I saw the crew coming back (they'd made it ashore earlier to start setting up), and it was clear that the captain made the right decision -- their trek looked really rough.

It would have been my first time there, so I don't have any previous experience to share about the island or the value-for-money on the cabanas, but many of the cruisers I've met consider it the nicest of the private islands they've been to, and I do know that the cabanas sell out quickly!

Hi Melissa; Sounds like all is going well and you are having a great time..couple of questions..one..Chilled Towels...is it that hot and humid to have to need chilled towels that early in the morning? Two..DH is wondering what kind of cabin you have..he is concerned since you indicate that lots of people were on deck for the canal event that we have wasted money on a balcony cabin and won't be able to see much...I told him that those on deck wanted a "forward view" and I'm sure that we will still see some of the canal events, even if it is "one sided"..can you help me put him at ease? Thanks, Emmy

Hi Mary,

I feel badly that I don't have an answer to your question -- yet. Because my tour (which left from our temporary anchored position in Gatun Lake) caught up with the ship later in the afternoon, I did not have the experience of disembarking in Colon, checking out the taxi situation etc. I did not see any taxis milling about by the time we arrived, I imagine because most independent travelers had already set out at that point. However, I will ask around and let you know what I can find out.

In the meantime, here's some insight I can share on the facilities at the port of Colon: When you leave the ship, there's a huge welcome area with shopping, bars and restaurants, ATM's, a business center with Internet -- and an information desk. So, if you didn't feel safe looking for or hopping in a cab, a local tourism official at that desk should able to guide you toward transportation options.

Hi Melissa :)

We will be porting at Colon and have reserved a room at Sol Melia Resort for the day. Are taxis right there at port and did it look safe enough for a family of four to hop in one?

Hi Emmy,

You know, it's funny… I really didn't anticipate needing sunscreen or a hat or anything this morning, but as soon as that sun came up, it was surprisingly hot. I'd say by 8, 8:15 a.m., I was on my second chilled towel! Overall, it's been extremely hot and humid on this trip; my brother got sunburned pretty badly in Aruba. Plan on drinking a lot of water and wearing a lot of sun protection, particularly if you are fair skinned.

As for the cabin, we do have a standard balcony stateroom, but we are very far aft so I wanted the full forward view -- as well as the experience of being outside with the crowd. You will be able to see some of the action from your balcony, but (at the risk of starting a marital dispute!) I do think you both should try to get up on deck or in the Crow's Nest for at least part of it, then return to your own space.

That said: Tell him that from the balcony you DO get an awesome perspective that the folks all the way forward aren't getting; again, Zuiderdam only has two feet of clearance on either side once you're in the locks, but you don't appreciate just how tight a squeeze that is until you lean over a side railing like that and look down -- the whole process is just fascinating. Hope that helps! =)

Hi Melissa; Sounds like all is going well and you are having a great time..couple of questions..one..Chilled Towels...is it that hot and humid to have to need chilled towels that early in the morning? Two..DH is wondering what kind of cabin you have..he is concerned since you indicate that lots of people were on deck for the canal event that we have wasted money on a balcony cabin and won't be able to see much...I told him that those on deck wanted a "forward view" and I'm sure that we will still see some of the canal events, even if it is "one sided"..can you help me put him at ease? Thanks, Emmy

The Canal Experience tour today bridged the gap for those of us who wanted to see the entire canal -- all three locks (Gatun, Pedro Miguel and Miraflores) from Caribbean Sea to Pacific Ocean -- but because of time constraints or affinity toward this ship or sailing, decided upon a partial transit cruise.

However, it was a truly long day, with a two-hour bus ride in both directions, followed by a slow-going trip on an overcrowded ferry in the blazing sun. Even with the educational commentary, which I enjoyed (though I have to put it out there that I'm a bit of a geek), it wasn't exactly a rip-roaring, fun-filled adventure as far as shore excursions go. In fact, one woman was quite vocal about the fact that she was bored, and going to share a piece of her mind with the friends back home that recommended she take the tour in the first place. Honestly, I think because we all got up at 4 or 5 a.m. -- and were then herded into tenders, buses, ferries, etc. -- crankiness was setting in!

Though I was exhausted (and dare I say cranky?) by the time we met the ship in Colon -- around 5 p.m. -- for me the tour was worth it. I came to the Panama Canal to see the Panama Canal, and who knows when or if I will be back? Why see just one lock when you can see all three and go home with the bragging rights? However, if going through Gatun (the biggest and most dramatic part of the day, no question) is sufficient, you may want to do something a bit different with the rest of your day.

Some of the Cruise Critic members on this sailing and other folks I've met chose the railway and Indian village excursions; I'll share their insights with you later this weekend, once I run into them and get the scoop.

Hi pokey,

I caught up with my new friends Joe and Kay, a lovely couple from Ohio, who are doing As You Wish dining. Their words: "it's awesome." They haven't made any reservations, just showed up whenever they felt like eating -- and so far, they haven't had to wait even a minute to be seated. When you arrive, you'll be asked if you want to sit alone (well, I imagine with your husband or wife, or whatever party you came with!) or with others. They've chosen to sit with others every night and Kay says it's been a wonderful way to meet a lot of new people. The flip side, however, is that you DO have different servers every night and you don't get close to any one waiter or team. To that end, she doesn't have a "favorite" to recommend. I'd say if you come the first night and like your server, you could easily show up around the same time every night (or make reservations for that time frame) and ask to be sat in his or her area.

Service in the dining room depends on where you sit and who you ask. Kay (who wants to eat and get right back out to the fun) thinks it could be speedier, whereas her husband Joe shook his head behind her and said that he rather enjoys the slow pace. I've found it to be just right -- and last night, a little faster than usual, which was appropriate since everyone needed to tuck in early for this morning's canal transit!

Thanks for checking and comparing notes with Joe and Kay! I'm kind of with Joe on the slow pace and enjoy the moment, where as my DH likes really speedy service. I am thinking that with the wait staff, they are starting to "find their groove" with this itinerary, so, that things are running smoother. I appreciate the observations.

Melissa, thanks for your honesty about the excursion through the canal. We have reserved it but I am having some second thoughts about it. I really don't do well in extreme heat and humidity and it sounds like there is no relief for that on the ferry ride. I plan to be up early for the trip through the canal so by the time we leave for the ferry I might just be ready for a nap! I will have to think long and hard about whether to do something else even though I would like to make it all the way through the canal. I would be interested to know what people thought of the other excursions that are available. I will be on the Coral but I imagine the tours are much the same on all the lines.

Thanks for all your helpful information. You are definitely helping us make some decisions.

Hi Melissa,

I'm on the next cruise, leaving the 9th, with WillieBill and pokeyjones (Hi guys!). I'm working on my packing list. I'm guessing the formal nights are the first sea day before Aruba, the sea day after Curacao and the sea day right after Costa Rica. Is that about right? Also, are there any theme nights, like a 50's night, luau, etc?

How's the ship's internet connection? Have you used any internet cafes in port?

Thanks again,

Susan

I am on fixed dining, late seating. The Anytime Dining guests are able to make reservations up until 4 p.m. for specific time slots (5:30, 5:45, 6, 8, 8:30, 9) or walk in anytime between 5:30 and 9:30 to request availability. I've met a great couple on this cruise that I know has chosen Anytime Dining, so we'll compare "notes" and I will report back on the pros, cons, etc.!

First, a big THANK-YOU for doing this!! :D:D We are on the 12/19-12/29 Christmas cruise on the Zuiderdam. We are 8 adults and 3 children on our 4th family cruise!!

My dad and I are the planners and have been struggling with: we have the anytime dining and have been told that we could make a Standing Reservation (same time, same table or section) for the entire cruise without having to do this daily.

From your quote, it sounds like the reservations are at limited times (we were thinking 6:30 which may be outside the window). Also, do we need to do this daily or can we make a "Standing Reservation"?

Lastly, we do enjoy the larger extravaganza shows and do not want dinner to conflict with shows. What are the timings of the bigger shows (since the kids like them, too!)? Can you publish some of the showtimes that would coincide with the earlier dinner seating?

Thanks so much!! Kathy aka KlassyKathy

Hi Mellisa

Have enjoyed reading your experiences and looking forward to being on the same cruise December 19 with my husband and 2 children (age 19 and 20). How was the snorkeling in Aruba - are there many tour operators available when the ship docks or should we prebook something? what did you do in Curacao? Trying to find something adventurous for husband and son and a bit slower for daughter and myself - ideas from what you saw, did or heard others did?

Thanks very much!

Hi Mellisa

Have enjoyed reading your experiences and looking forward to being on the same cruise December 19 with my husband and 2 children (age 19 and 20). How was the snorkeling in Aruba - are there many tour operators available when the ship docks or should we prebook something? what did you do in Curacao? Trying to find something adventurous for husband and son and a bit slower for daughter and myself - ideas from what you saw, did or heard others did?

Thanks very much!

Hi Sandb - Looks like we will be on the same cruise. Not sure if you have to pre-book but we are doing the Jolly Pirates snorkeling trip in Aruba -- taking the 3pm-6pm cruise since we don't get in to Aruba until noon.

http://www.jolly-pirates.com/web/Tours.php

We also looked at Optopus http://www.octopusaruba.com/ which looked very nice since it was smaller but he did not go to the Antilla in the afternoon (that was important to us but its another choice -- smaller vs. larger but missing a spot that we wanted to snorkel at).

Also looked at http://www.robertoswatersports.com/ but it was more expensive but a private tour.

All of these were recommended by other Cruise Critic threads!!

Good luck!! Kathy

Thanks for the information Kathy - always great to have someone else do the research!! Because I use a wheelchair will probably go with a smaller boat than the Jolly Roger so have e-mailed Roberts Water Sports. Any info as to what to do in Curacao?

Thanks for the information Kathy - always great to have someone else do the research!! Because I use a wheelchair will probably go with a smaller boat than the Jolly Roger so have e-mailed Roberts Water Sports. Any info as to what to do in Curacao?

Glad you could use the info... Another Cruise Critic member, ArubaLisa, was very knowledable -- where I got a lot of info. This thread has a good summary from her:

(Well - it does not appear that CC allows a thread to be pasted)...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=623086&highlight=roberto

(Do a search in the Aruba forum for Roberto's)

As far as Curacao, we decided to sign up for the trolley via the ship. A lot of time we do things on our own but the ships trip was only $5 more than doing it yourself but we could do it in the morning. A lot of comments on the boards say that you can only do the trolley on your own in the afternoon since the cruise ships fill it up in the morning. We wanted to do it in the morning to get the "lay of the land" and then to walk around. It does look like Melissa did a dolphin experience... Just some thoughts!

Another two weeks or less!! We are looking forward to having our family Christmas on board the ship!!

The Canal Experience tour today bridged the gap for those of us who wanted to see the entire canal -- all three locks (Gatun, Pedro Miguel and Miraflores) from Caribbean Sea to Pacific Ocean -- but because of time constraints or affinity toward this ship or sailing, decided upon a partial transit cruise.

However, it was a truly long day, with a two-hour bus ride in both directions, followed by a slow-going trip on an overcrowded ferry in the blazing sun. Even with the educational commentary, which I enjoyed (though I have to put it out there that I'm a bit of a geek), it wasn't exactly a rip-roaring, fun-filled adventure as far as shore excursions go. In fact, one woman was quite vocal about the fact that she was bored, and going to share a piece of her mind with the friends back home that recommended she take the tour in the first place. Honestly, I think because we all got up at 4 or 5 a.m. -- and were then herded into tenders, buses, ferries, etc. -- crankiness was setting in!

Though I was exhausted (and dare I say cranky?) by the time we met the ship in Colon -- around 5 p.m. -- for me the tour was worth it. I came to the Panama Canal to see the Panama Canal, and who knows when or if I will be back? Why see just one lock when you can see all three and go home with the bragging rights? However, if going through Gatun (the biggest and most dramatic part of the day, no question) is sufficient, you may want to do something a bit different with the rest of your day.

Some of the Cruise Critic members on this sailing and other folks I've met chose the railway and Indian village excursions; I'll share their insights with you later this weekend, once I run into them and get the scoop.

Melissa...thanks sooooooooo much for your insight into this excursion. Like you..We are going to the Panama Canal to experience it and that is just what we will do..I am looking forward to the ferry and as you say the "bragging rights" when we get home..one must take into consideration that not every excursion is for everyone and you will have those that think it is a waste of money and time and you will have those that would do it again in a heartbeat...I am excited and looking forward to this adventure...wish Feb 1st was next week:D

I also wanted to say thanks for your insight on the cabin and what can can't be seen from there...I will try and get up to the forward decks to watch a panoramic view of the entry into the locks, but if we can't find a spot we do have a place to retreat that will afford us a "partial view"..we leave tomorrow for Miami and our return to the Imagination...the "birthplace" of my cruise addiction...enjoy the rest of your trip and I will look forward to reading all about it on our return on the 13th...Emmy

Thanks Kathy - will try to watch for you on board - a group of 11 will probably be easy to spot! We also have confirmed late seating so may run into you there! Happy packing - my huband and I just got off a full transit cruise November 23 so we're really being spoiled this year!

Sandra

Firstly, you are very welcome -- my pleasure! The tours probably are very similar between the lines. I think if you really feel strongly about getting through the entire canal, you should go for it -- you can sit under the canopy or on the lower level indoors and be out of direct sunlight (just squeeze through to the railing now and again to see the goings-on).

However, I have to say I have been hearing wonderful things about the Embera Indian Village tour that HAL offers (don't know offhand if Princess does). The Embera Indians, one of I believe two tribes who call Panama home, perform native song and dance. This is not a tour where the tourists and the locals are all bused to a staged location; you will visit the remote area where they actually live, via canoe. Also, I met a couple last night who did a ship-sponsored tour exploring a Panamanian rainforest, and the wife said it was really great. She said one of the highlights was getting to feed a monkey.

There was a more general tour offered on this trip called Shaping of Panama, which took travelers by motorcoach through Panama City. I'd love to see the city -- the glittery skyline definitely piqued my interest, nestled amid the lush tropical landscape of the rest of the country -- but because heavy traffic can delay the tour, as it reportedly did yesterday, it can cut into the time you spend outside of the bus. I'd go through with the Canal Experience, or do something outdoorsy!

Melissa, thanks for your honesty about the excursion through the canal. We have reserved it but I am having some second thoughts about it. I really don't do well in extreme heat and humidity and it sounds like there is no relief for that on the ferry ride. I plan to be up early for the trip through the canal so by the time we leave for the ferry I might just be ready for a nap! I will have to think long and hard about whether to do something else even though I would like to make it all the way through the canal. I would be interested to know what people thought of the other excursions that are available. I will be on the Coral but I imagine the tours are much the same on all the lines.

Thanks for all your helpful information. You are definitely helping us make some decisions.

Hi,

I actually chatted up the information desk to plan my snorkeling, as most of the tours being hawked at the pier were island tours, not water sports. He recommended heading to Palm Beach as there are several outfits there that operate snorkeling catamarans, so that's what we did and it worked out beautifully. Our tour took us to two sites. I thought the snorkeling at the first site was average to above average, and the snorkeling at the wreck of Antilla (WWII ship) excellent.

The info desk will give you a map and information on getting to the beach (for a family, a taxi -- $14 -- is probably easier than taking the bus, whereas for just the two of us, the bus was just fine and more cost efficient). You could certainly prebook -- check out our Aruba port profile (http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=2) for information or the Aruba forum here on these boards.

We swam with the dolphins in Curacao, and that was truly a phenomenal (though pricey) experience!

Hi Mellisa

Thanks very much!

Kathy,

Sounds like you have a fun holiday family cruise planned -- wow! I will find out more for you about how standing reservations work; they aren't publicized but I am confident that they will do it for you and that you won't have any problem if you really want 6:30 Hang tight for that info.

The evening showtimes are 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. If you did a 6:30 dinner, the later show would work out!

First, a big THANK-YOU for doing this!! :D:D We are on the 12/19-12/29 Christmas cruise on the Zuiderdam. We are 8 adults and 3 children on our 4th family cruise!!

My dad and I are the planners and have been struggling with: we have the anytime dining and have been told that we could make a Standing Reservation (same time, same table or section) for the entire cruise without having to do this daily.

From your quote, it sounds like the reservations are at limited times (we were thinking 6:30 which may be outside the window). Also, do we need to do this daily or can we make a "Standing Reservation"?

Lastly, we do enjoy the larger extravaganza shows and do not want dinner to conflict with shows. What are the timings of the bigger shows (since the kids like them, too!)? Can you publish some of the showtimes that would coincide with the earlier dinner seating?

Thanks so much!! Kathy aka KlassyKathy

Hi Susan,

That's right re: the formal days -- though the second one, after Curacao, is formal "optional." I'd say about half of the people dressed up and half came smart casual or just a little bit nicer. I sort of met the dress code half way -- I wore pants, but with heels, an evening bag, jewelry and silk top. There haven't been any theme nights in the dining room, but there was a tropical BBQ on the lido last night to say farewell to Panama.

Save for one very slow evening, the connection onboard has been pretty good. Not lightening fast, but the ships never are! There's Wi-Fi in public spaces (and in some cabins, depending on location -- my aft cabin on Deck 6 gets a full signal) and connected computers up in the Explorations Café. Same prices apply either way. You can pay as you go for 75 cents a minute, buy 100 minutes for $55 (55 cents a minute) or buy 250 minutes for $100 (40 cents a minute). I used an Internet café at the Holiday Inn on Palm Beach in Aruba, and saw them in Curacao and Colon (Panama) too. It's cheaper to connect on shore, of course -- in Aruba, for example, I paid $5 for 16 minutes.

Hi Melissa,

I'm on the next cruise, leaving the 9th, with WillieBill and pokeyjones (Hi guys!). I'm working on my packing list. I'm guessing the formal nights are the first sea day before Aruba, the sea day after Curacao and the sea day right after Costa Rica. Is that about right? Also, are there any theme nights, like a 50's night, luau, etc?

How's the ship's internet connection? Have you used any internet cafes in port?

Thanks again,

Susan

Archived