We're Panama Canal bound! Got questions?

melissa@cruisecritic

Thanks for all of your live posts...I will on the Zuiderdm next month and have the PC ferry experience booked which you decribed as long and sort of tedious/boring. After reading your post I am having 2nd thoughts..and a few questions

...is it really a 2 hr bus ride both ways..I thought the bus ride to catch the ferry was shorter like 45 mins,

...any sights to see on the bus rides??

....the ferry was very crowded...can you still move around ..go to the different levels, go in the AC part to take a break etc

....How long was the total excursion ..7 hrs or more.....any time left at the pier to shop at the conclusion

Thanks for ant more info and enjoy the rest of your cruise!!!

The Sommelier's Dinner should have been held tonight. While I like wine, :p, my DH doesn't drink. Have you spoken to any one who went and was able just to order off the PG menu (at PG price) while another in the party enjoyed the Sommelier's Dinner? Thanks for checking!

Hi! I'd say that the ride was one and a half hours to one hour and forty five minutes -- but it could easily be two hours with heavy traffic. It's not far away mileage wise, but many of the roadways leave much to be desired (our guide joked that a trip to Panama is like a trip to the moon because of all the craters).

You can definitely move around on the ferry -- maybe crowded was a poor or too strong choice of words. It's easy to move up and down between levels, get to the snacks and restroom, etc. You'll just have to elbow your way to a prime picture taking location. Does that make more sense? We left the ship a little after 10 and got back a little after 5, so plan for about seven hours. Still, there was plenty of time afterward to shop at the pier and there were some nice items, including jewelry made from a local ivory that's actually a very hard vegetable, and wood carvings. I bought a friend some bamboo kitchen trivets.

Thanks for all of your live posts...I will on the Zuiderdm next month and have the PC ferry experience booked which you decribed as long and sort of tedious/boring. After reading your post I am having 2nd thoughts..and a few questions

...is it really a 2 hr bus ride both ways..I thought the bus ride to catch the ferry was shorter like 45 mins,

...any sights to see on the bus rides??

....the ferry was very crowded...can you still move around ..go to the different levels, go in the AC part to take a break etc

....How long was the total excursion ..7 hrs or more.....any time left at the pier to shop at the conclusion

Thanks for ant more info and enjoy the rest of your cruise!!!

Costa Rica was a real highlight today. It's definitely a port where you have to get out and do something -- whether it's active, like kayaking (which is what we did today,) or simply touring the wildlife-filled rainforests that blanket the island, much of which is nature reserve. This Central America port is what my brother, a first-time cruiser, envisioned the Caribbean would be -- more lush greenery, less jewelry stores. If we have to come to Costa Rica for that experience, so be it! I can't wait to come back.

The kayaking tour, booked through HAL, begins at a provincial hotel that bills itself as a beach and rainforest resort. My brother and I shared a kayak, with him the front (for power) and me in the back (for steering -- and I'll admit we hit a few logs and ended up in the brush now and again!). I regret not taking a camera along; though we did get wet my fears of completely capsizing were quite unnecessary. The kayaking takes place in a quiet, gorgeous lagoon where we saw egrets, sloths and a shy iguana who refused to come down and play even though our guide poked the tree a bit with his oar. We paddled out to the beach, then back again. Good sore feeling in the arms tonight!

Folks of all sizes and ages participated in the tour, and the guides were excellent at helping us in and out, and making the less comfortable feel at ease. One husband and wife were particularly nervous, so two extra guides joined us and took each of them out on a separate kayak. That way, they could paddle just a little and enjoy the day with someone more experienced at the helm.

Many of you have asked about what to do in port and how to get around independently. Though you can walk into Puerto Limon easily from where the ship is docked, I would definitely recommend doing a tour here -- either through your cruise line or something booked in advance. One of the Cruise Critic members I met on this trip says he took an excellent tour today with Okie Dokie Tours -- I apologize if I've spelled that wrong! I am sure he'll correct me if I did, and post more about it on these boards. As for going into Puerto Limon proper, our guide was quick to tell us that if we did go into town, to be very cautious with our wallets and belongings. You can easily get a cab at the pier, and there are souvenir stalls set up (look for authentic wood carvings among the more touristy trinkets).

Hi! The Sommelier's Dinner is indeed happening tonight. I will find out for you if you can order off the regular menu during this event.

If not, you could always just drink his portion =) !

The Sommelier's Dinner should have been held tonight. While I like wine, :p, my DH doesn't drink. Have you spoken to any one who went and was able just to order off the PG menu (at PG price) while another in the party enjoyed the Sommelier's Dinner? Thanks for checking!

Hi Melissa,

Thanks so much for the information! We've only cruised on carnival before a couple of times and decided to upgrade this trip... We're really looking forward to the Canal as an engineer nerd its definitely on my list!

A couple of questions"

1. We're in our early 40's and still like to party a bit - with the reputation of HAL being an older crowd will we have problems finding fun people???

2. We're still trying to determine if its worth upgrading from a superior suite to the deluxe suite. The deluxe gives us a little more room but also the laundry service as well as priority in some other things... Do you (or anyone) have any thougts on the subject?

Thanks!!!

You will definitely find fun people onboard! The younger folks tend to sun at the aft pool and chat at the pool bars during the day, so that's a great place to chat up new friends. That same group frequents the Northern Lights disco in the evenings.

But I have to say too -- even though the majority of the folks onboard are older, many of them can still party too. The karaoke try-outs were a riot!

As for the suite perks, let me find out more for you. I have been told that the Neptune Lounge concierge on this ship is exceptional. One of the Cruise Critic members I've been spending time with used the concierge to set up high tea in her corner suite for her and her friends, for example.

Hi Melissa,

Thanks so much for the information! We've only cruised on carnival before a couple of times and decided to upgrade this trip... We're really looking forward to the Canal as an engineer nerd its definitely on my list!

A couple of questions"

1. We're in our early 40's and still like to party a bit - with the reputation of HAL being an older crowd will we have problems finding fun people???

2. We're still trying to determine if its worth upgrading from a superior suite to the deluxe suite. The deluxe gives us a little more room but also the laundry service as well as priority in some other things... Do you (or anyone) have any thougts on the subject?

Thanks!!!

One of the things I like most about cruising is meeting new people. Ask any of my coworkers and they'll tell you that I will talk to anyone who'll sit still long enough to listen (right, Laura?), but on this cruise in particular I've made some great connections with a variety of travelers -- first-time and veteran HAL cruisers, Canadians, Europeans, even

folks from right near my hometown!

Cruise Critic members, of course, add a special component. There's a great group of women who all met right here and are now having a blast together on the cruise. I was especially touched when one woman, who also organized our excellent meet and greet earlier in the cruise, called to invite me to a surprise "baby shower" onboard in honor of a great gal who is going to become a grandmother any minute now! How could I say no? Grandma-to-be's Cruise Critic friends planned ahead by packing decorations, balloons and adorable little pink outfits (it's going to be a girl) -- and the hostess, who's in a corner suite, utilized her concierge to set up a festive "high tea" right in her cabin with finger sandwiches and desserts.

I was floored by how close these women -- and men! -- had become, all because of Cruise Critic. This gesture was one of the loveliest I've seen in a long time -- and it reminds me why I love working here. Oh, and in case you are wondering, so far there's been no news about the baby's arrival, but I made them promise to tell me the minute they heard.

I met up again with many of these same folks this morning for the On Deck for the Cure walk. (I'll be sure to upload photos of us sporting our "Cruise Critic for the Cure" nametags!) As some of you may remember from our promotion this past October, On Deck is a program that Holland America implemented over two years ago. A fundraising walk for breast cancer is held once on each voyage aboard every ship in the fleet. Participants donate $15, a small portion of which covers a T-shirt and pink wristband that you can wear during the walk -- and then keep. The rest of the money goes to Komen for the Cure via the Holland America Foundation. Other lines in the Carnival Corp. family, like Costa and Carnival among others, have started to offer similar walks onboard, too.

This morning, a sizeable group -- at least 100 -- met in the Ocean Bear to kick off the walk, and breast cancer survivors were invited to come to the front of the room and say a few words about their journey and what the On Deck walk means to them. Several passengers, many whom I've met previously on this cruise, stepped forward, and knowing I was walking with them -- and for strong women and men like them -- made the experience that much more meaningful.

It's a 5K walk, which is about 3 miles (9 laps around the promenade), but there's no pressure to finish and you can do it at your own pace. At the end of each lap, there are staffers cheering you on, offering chilled towels and water, and playing dance music to pump everyone up. At the end, there's even a pink lemonade party. Taking part in the walk will no doubt be one of my favorite memories of this cruise.

Tonight is our final formal night -- that's lobster night, for those of you who are wondering (I was, ha!). Will post more soon!

I met up again with many of these same folks this morning for the On Deck for the Cure walk. (I'll be sure to upload photos of us sporting our "Cruise Critic for the Cure" nametags!) As some of you may remember from our promotion this past October, On Deck is a program that Holland America implemented over two years ago. A fundraising walk for breast cancer is held once on each voyage aboard every ship in the fleet. Participants donate $15, a small portion of which covers a T-shirt and pink wristband that you can wear during the walk -- and then keep. The rest of the money goes to Komen for the Cure via the Holland America Foundation. Other lines in the Carnival Corp. family, like Costa and Carnival among others, have started to offer similar walks onboard, too.

This morning, a sizeable group -- at least 100 -- met in the Ocean Bear to kick off the walk, and breast cancer survivors were invited to come to the front of the room and say a few words about their journey and what the On Deck walk means to them. Several passengers, many whom I've met previously on this cruise, stepped forward, and knowing I was walking with them -- and for strong women and men like them -- made the experience that much more meaningful.

It's a 5K walk, which is about 3 miles (9 laps around the promenade), but there's no pressure to finish and you can do it at your own pace. At the end of each lap, there are staffers cheering you on, offering chilled towels and water, and playing dance music to pump everyone up. At the end, there's even a pink lemonade party. Taking part in the walk will no doubt be one of my favorite memories of this cruise.

Tonight is our final formal night -- that's lobster night, for those of you who are wondering (I was, ha!). Will post more soon!

Thanks for posting about the "Walk". I had posted as to why I plan to walk. I, myself, am not a survior, but I treat so many women and occasionally, men who battle BC. I often treat for a condition called "Lymphedema" that is a result after lymph nodes have been removed or from the scarring of the radiation treatments. My training was paid by a grant by the Susan Komen Foundation, so, I gladly support HAL's efforts!

I've down loaded and printed the Cruise Critic "On Deck for the Cure" nametags for our meet and greet on Dec. 11 onboard the Zuiderdam and should have a few left over for the "Walk".

Oh, and, Melissa, the Lobster sounds wonderful! Get ready to pass that batton on Tuesday! ;)

Well, here it is -- the last sea day, when the dreaded task of packing weighs heavily on everyone's minds. I think this trip had a great pace, though. The busy days in port were padded by relaxing days at sea, and a 10-day trip doesn't go nearly as quickly as a week. I think it's the perfect cruise length for me -- I am excited to get home to my husband and my cats, but feel content after a very fun and fulfilling journey to some great places. My brother and I really had time to bond in a way that we haven't since the days of family vacations to the Jersey Shore! The Panama Canal was fascinating and I'm glad to finally have an understanding of how it works. And now I can say I went through the whole thing -- from Caribbean Sea to Pacific Ocean.

Speaking of which, I want to say one last word on the canal ferry excursion. MEOWSMUPHY posted an insight earlier this week that I think bears repeating: not every excursion is for everyone. I think part of the reason I felt lukewarm about it had a lot to do with where I sat on the ferry and the attitudes of some of the passengers around me. Some of the Cruise Critic members who took the same tour were on a lower level and stood right at the bow of the ship as it traversed the locks. They had a better view. They also had a ton of fun, got great pictures, were not at all hot or cranky, and wished we had run into each other so I could have joined them. Indeed! So the moral of the story is: it's hard to say whether an excursion is "good" or "bad" -- it has a lot to do with what you make of the experience. And going through the Panama Canal was a great one.

If you have any additional questions, I'm glad to answer them later this week once I've settled back in at home and in the office. In the meantime, I want to thank everyone for taking such interest in my cruise and asking great questions about the Panama Canal and Holland America. I learned a lot because of you all, too! For those of you getting ready to set sail, safe travels and have a GREAT time. Say hello to Edwin and the other bartenders up in the Crow's Nest bar -- we've had a nightcap there pretty much every evening and loved getting to know them.

Melissa,

Thank you so much for your frequent informative reports. Although we are sailing Princess much of what you reported was very helpful for me and you also helped to build my excitement and anticipation for the trip.

I'm still undecided about the ferry trip but I have time to make my decision.

I have done a partial and a full transit on the Coral and loved both. In fact I will be going again next april on another full transit of the Canal. There was some comments about the ferry ride to the Psacific Ocean side. My DH and I did that tour on our partial. Even though it was a very long day, and very hot and humid I was not sorry that I took the excursion. I also came back hot, tired and shall we say cranky but on looking back I am very glad I did it. The reason why we did that excursion was we did not think we would ever do a full transit. Well two years later we did exactly that. On the ferry, there are two levels, the first floor is the shade. Grab that one. The 2nd floor is an open area and we made the mistake of going up for a little bit and boy it is hot and humid.

The ferry is an unique experience because while you are in the locks you are also paired up with other ships, boats, etc. We were with a freighter(BIG FREIGHTER) My they are huge when you are in a 200 passenger ferry. What an experience. I also think this ferry is the same excursion as Holland America offers.

Marilyn

This has been so much fun to read, and has caused me to become even more impatient about my New Year's cruise. It also answered a lot of questions that I had about the day-to-day activities on the ship. I don't know where I will be to watch going through the locks. I may be racing between my cabin and the forward deck! I wonder if there will be an access point for forward viewing on Deck 8.

(snip)I've down loaded and printed the Cruise Critic "On Deck for the Cure" nametags for our meet and greet on Dec. 11 onboard the Zuiderdam and should have a few left over for the "Walk". (snip)

Peggy, if you or anyone else need any "cruise critic" or "walk" name tags, I've left extras with the wonderful concierge staff (Bong and Kate) in the Neptune Lounge on the Zuiderdam (from our cruise which ended yesterday). There are probably 50 of them, so please feel free to use them or add to the amount if you have extras too.

This could help those who need cc name tags and for some reason were not able to make them, need extras, or left them at home by mistake.

Have a great walk!!

Melissa, what a wonderful time we had with you!!! Thank you so much for starting this thread so we didn't have to use up valuable internet minutes for family and friends at home ;).

I was one of those on the bow of the ferry during the excursion to the Pacific. It was definitely the place to be to get the best experience of the crossing. We had a fantastic time on the ferry and were glad we picked that excursion.

It could get hot there, so a hat, sunscreen, water, and occasional visits to the air-conditioned areas of the ferry are a must.

As penguinchick said, the cruise was a blast!!! So glad I was able to share this experience with so many wonderful cruise critic members (and now friends!)

Donna

That's a great point -- we had a catamaran sharing the locks with us, which was an interesting contrast to going through the Gatun Locks solo onboard the much larger Zuiderdam!

I have done a partial and a full transit on the Coral and loved both. In fact I will be going again next april on another full transit of the Canal. There was some comments about the ferry ride to the Psacific Ocean side. My DH and I did that tour on our partial. Even though it was a very long day, and very hot and humid I was not sorry that I took the excursion. I also came back hot, tired and shall we say cranky but on looking back I am very glad I did it. The reason why we did that excursion was we did not think we would ever do a full transit. Well two years later we did exactly that. On the ferry, there are two levels, the first floor is the shade. Grab that one. The 2nd floor is an open area and we made the mistake of going up for a little bit and boy it is hot and humid.

The ferry is an unique experience because while you are in the locks you are also paired up with other ships, boats, etc. We were with a freighter(BIG FREIGHTER) My they are huge when you are in a 200 passenger ferry. What an experience. I also think this ferry is the same excursion as Holland America offers.

Marilyn

Melissa, could you post a quick note on this thread when your official review is available? I'm eagerly awaiting it and don't want to miss it! :o

Thanks! And thank you as well for the great "live from' updates! It was great following along with you -- I'm just jealous you swam with the dolphins since I'm afraid it's not in our budget...:(

Made it home safe and sound. Had such a wonderful time with all the Cruise Critic group and you and Jerry.

Baby shower for me certainly was a surprise! Such thoughtful caring folks!

Still no baby but received news yesterday that other son and his wife are also expecting! They are due in July.

Looking forward to your complete review.

Great job, Melissa! I was fortunate to get to know you and your brother during the cruise as part of the Cruise Critic group. I have some of my own comments based on the activities we did in Aruba, Curacao, Costa Rica, and of course the Canal, which I would like to post in the Ports of Call section. I just want to add a comment about the Panama Canal Day. If you're not the first ones on deck at 4 AM, don't panic. There is plenty of room forward on Deck 4 no matter what time you get there. The whole transit process is very slow and people move around a lot and you should be able to see enough. True, it is more dramatic being at the very front of the bow like Leonardo di Caprio was, but don't stress out if you can't get that spot. I must admit I lost sleep worrying about what time to get up and whether we would be able to have a great view and experience, and it was total needless worrying. I don't think anyone was disappointed! That night I was able to determine that everyone had great excursions and the only ones who were somewhat disappointed were the Panama Railway passengers, but we should wait for them to communicate why. We experienced the Embera Indian Tour and I would like to post details of that eventful day later this week, but will be happy to answer questions about it. It sounds like every tour that involved long bus rides like ours had extremely knowledgeable guides spending almost the whole time giving details about the Canal and history of Panama, and telling jokes about the "red devils"(diablos rojos!), which are their public busses painted wild colors and zipping in and out of traffic like out of control sports cars! It's worth a tour just to see those. More to follow.......

Princess cancelled the tour for our February cruise.:(

Hmmmm.... any reason given as to why? With Carnival and Princess being owned by the same company, it would lead me to believe it could possibly be cancelled for our Carnival cruise in March....

Hmmmm.... any reason given as to why? With Carnival and Princess being owned by the same company, it would lead me to believe it could possibly be cancelled for our Carnival cruise in March....

No reason was given, just that it was cancelled.

We experienced the Embera Indian Tour and I would like to post details of that eventful day later this week, but will be happy to answer questions about it.

Was there food provided or available for purchase on the Embera tour? We're booked on March 5 and I don't think my kids (or I!) can make it from 9:30-3:30 without food...

As I mentioned above, we're booked on March 5 (cruise begins Feb 27) through HAL (also same parent company), and our reservation still shows up with no problems mentioned.

Archived