Best Way to Book?

Dabbo

Recommendations on the best approach for better service, chances for good suite location, eating times, etc.? Saving a buck or two would be nice, but I'm more interested in making my wife's first cruise a terrific one (this is #4 for me). Travelocity looks "ok", I have a cousin who's a travel agent, the Carnival site's easy enough to navigate, but I didn't see any advantages.

We've already decided on the Legend on 1/18.

Thoughts?

Book directly with Carnival, either online or by phone. This way an agency doesn't "own" your booking and you can deal with them directly for anything that might come up. They are also very good about qualifying you for any discount i.e. senior, resident, military. You can choose whatever suite is available at the time of booking. Dining times are only requests unless you're Platinum but I've always gotten my request.

Personally, I would be book directly thru Carnival, that way Carnival will be able to assist you with anything regarding your booking. I used a TA on my recent cruise and I will never go that route again, everytime I had a question regarding my booking it had to go thru the TA because they owned the booking which was a really pain in the you know what. And from my experience with the TA, they could careless if the price dropped or not. The only reason I switched my cruise to a TA was because they offered $100.00 off the price that Carnival had given us, and believe me the headaches weren't worth the $100.00, not sure if I had a bad TA or not but by the end of it I figured out the TA already had their money, so why would the even be willing to help me get something even lower when the prices started to drop.

Just my 2 cents worth on this subject

I have a SeaMiles card, so I have to book with their TA, but when my parents wanted to go on the same cruise with us, I did not hesitate to book with Carnival directly. I just used the 1-800 number that's on the website. So far they have been great! I even called them a few weeks ago and got my parents over $500 in OBC when the price dropped. This is on top of the military discount they qualified for! I'm so jealous.

Just to play devil's advocate a bit here...

A good TA is worth their weight in gold. If there's ever any kind of problem, of you have a special request, a good TA will have contacts even a PVP won't to get your issues resolved.

Uh, and what if you get a crummy TA? Many a cruise has been ruined by an travel agent who doesn't know or doesn't care

Archived