FOS - Fitness Center

I think the age restriction to use the Fitness Center is 16 YOA. My son would be interested in using the center on an upcoming cruise, but will be one month shy of 16. :( Does anyone know how strict they are in enforcing the age restriction, if he can use it if I am with him, or if there would be some sort of waiver?

We allowed our 16 year old DS to use the gym for the first time in August, and he was questioned. We had to bring his passport to the gym to have his age checked and his Seapass stamped. My husband was with him in the gym, and even him saying he was 16 was not good enough. So, be prepared to have to prove it!

Be prepared to be told no because liability insurance underwriting is based on many things, including age restrictions for various activities. If their gym liability age restriction is written for 16+, they could be violating their insurance policy if they allow underage pax to use the equipment. If something happens, the insurer could very easily deny coverage or even void the policy. I know many will say that it should be or is up to the crew's discretion, but the truth is that the crew members have no authority to make exceptions in these situations. (No, I'm not a lawyer--not that there's anything wrong with being one--and don't even know any. But I do know what a litigeous (sp?) society we have become.)

While it's certainly possible that he will be allowed to use the gym (and possibly more so if you are with him), it's equally possible that you will told that no exceptions to the age restriction will be made. I have not heard of any waivers for parents to sign to allow their under 16s to use the gym. If the staff "balk" at him entering and insist on following the age restrictions, I'm not sure it will matter whether you are there or not. I don't mean to sound like a wet blanket, but I know I do in this case. I believe that the cruise line needs to follow these kinds of restrictions to the letter to protect themselves and all the pax.

beachchick

My sggestion is go to the Gym and talk to the trainer/trainers. When we first got onboard the Serenade recently we took our own little "tour" of the ship, we happened to be in the Fitneess center and ran into one of the trainers who talked with us for a good amount of time, basics like welcome aboard nice to meet you etc... but I am sure if your son works out regularly and wants to continue onboard and you as the parents go and discuss this with them they can work something out.... these trainers are all about health and fitness

• 2 weeks later...

Archived