Pirates attack cruise ship off Somalian coast

Mikel1733

Jordanlovescruisin.....Modern day pirates look nothing like Captain Jack, lol. They are mean and ugly with AK47's and rocket launchers. They come at a ship firing and are boarded in just a few minutes time. I do research and planning for themuckyducks site. Its about todays pirates. If you go there check out the piracy today section and you can find out all you want to know about it. Harry is a retired mercenary and runs the site.

Jordanlovescruisin.....Modern day pirates look nothing like Captain Jack, lol. They are mean and ugly with AK47's and rocket launchers. They come at a ship firing and are boarded in just a few minutes time. I do research and planning for themuckyducks site. Its about todays pirates. If you go there check out the piracy today section and you can find out all you want to know about it. Harry is a retired mercenary and runs the site.

Thank you so much! I will check that out. I had no clue.

Somehow I find it hard to believe that any "pirate" can climb onboard one of those large modern cruise ships from a motorboat that is nothing more than a rowboat with an engine while the cruise ship is going full speed and maneuvering...I mean we are not talking about US Navy Seals, SAS or SBS here...the mistake must be when the ship stops and allows them to get onboard...what are your thoughts?

Somehow I find it hard to believe that any "pirate" can climb onboard one of those large modern cruise ships from a motorboat that is nothing more than a rowboat with an engine while the cruise ship is going full speed and maneuvering...I mean we are not talking about US Navy Seals, SAS or SBS here...the mistake must be when the ship stops and allows them to get onboard...what are your thoughts?

I believe what they are doing in some instances is pulling along side of the target vessel and attaching explosives to the side of the ships which they then can detonate if the ship doesn't allow them to board.

Well they did get a HUGE oil tanker.

:eek::p

Kind of ironic that I'm posting on this considering my user name :D but what I think they should do is send some decoy ships into the area but have them heavily armed, then when these guys attack, blow them out of the water. I don't think it would take the pirates long to think twice about attacking a ship again, at least those that survive.

Kind of ironic that I'm posting on this considering my user name :D but what I think they should do is send some decoy ships into the area but have them heavily armed, then when these guys attack, blow them out of the water. I don't think it would take the pirates long to think twice about attacking a ship again, at least those that survive.

That makes too much sense..........:)..besides the "do gooders" would say it wasn't fair play. :rolleyes:

I can't believe that there is no available friendly air assets over there that a captain of a cruise ship or any other merchant ship can call in for support as soon as they (the pirates) are sighted. The French must have an air base over there...

And if not, well...maybe it is time to start arming those ships that must sail in those pirate waters and keep the others like cruise ships away from there!

That makes too much sense..........:)..besides the "do gooders" would say it wasn't fair play. :rolleyes:

Got that right, Does the ACLU have maritime jurisdiction?

These thugs need to be dealt with.. Fight fire with fire.. Put them out of OUR misery!

Some of these thugs are armed with shoulder missile launchers, rocket and grenade launchers and heavy automatic weaponry. I suppose a couple of well places missiles or grenades - or the serious threat - would make the Captain think twice.....

There is a faily easy way to repel these criminals but it's costly.... However, Seabourn Spirit used it to repel the crooks that tried this in 2005...... Ships need to open their purses and invest in proactive technology instead of taking chances.......

http://www.defense-update.com/products/l/LRAD.htm

Why can't our naval vessels along with the NATO vessels over there just consider anything that looks like a priate boat within the vicinity of a commercial vessel fair game for target practice??? And if there are no naval vessels around, give the captains of commerical ships a 911 number to call for immediate air support...

Once the pirate learn that they are nothing more than target practice for the navies of the world, maybe they will stay in Somalia on land.

What do you guys think of that?:cool:

They can't do that because they look like fishing boats and you can't tell them apart. They even fish as a cover.

Right now there are over 10 ships being held and over 250 crew held hostage. The pirates take them to their "den" and then separate the crew. Half stay on the ship and the other half are hidden somewhere else. The pirates then start making their demands. It usually takes a month or more for the ships to be released. The Faina has just now been released and it was hijacked in Sept. It wasn't until that ship was taken that the world took notice of whats going on. Now war ships are patrolling the area trying to control it but the pirates just moved further out. The oil tanker was 400 miles away from where they normally hijack.

Archived