Recomended turtle tours?

Bickford Sailors

• 3 weeks later...

We will be on the Carnival Victory:D and on March 4th we will be in Barbados and we were thinking of doing the Tiami sail, sea turtle and snorkling tour from the ship excursions....has anyone done this and is it worth it:confused:?????? The price is $69 usd.....:p

• 2 weeks later...

I too would like to go out to see the turtles without a tour. Are there people on Paynes Bay that will just take you out to watch them for awhile? I don't particularly want to swim with the turtles, just see them. Has anyone done this and knows about how much it would cost for maybe an hour?

• 1 month later...

We did the Thriller ocean tour in late March 2009 and had a great time. Stephan stayed in the boat and his helper swam with us in the water and fed the turtles. Stephan does not let you wear flippers when we are in the water with the turtles so as not to harm them, wish other tours did the same. We did a nice shipwreck that his helper pointed out various fish. he did not serve rum punch until the ride home which is good, no need to have drunks in the water. There were about 14 of us which was not really crowded.I would do his tour again for sure.

he did not serve rum punch until the ride home which is good,

- no need to have drunks in the water.

Very wise of him.

Drunks get into trouble more easily, in the water

-known fact, not just rumour.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We did a snorkel tour with Hightide. On Tuesdays, they take out marine biologists to scuba and bring the turtles on board. They weigh, tag and take notes on them. Non scuba divers are welcome.

Our group of four were two couples. Our day started at the Falcon and nice sized motor boat with Winston and James as crew and just the four of us. We travelled up the coast and picked up a dive instructor before getting to our snorkel spot. There was one or two other boats there but we were a small group of four and our dive instructor stayed with our one "weaker swimmer" and kept an eye out the entire time for the rest of us. He also pointed out where the turtles were to see. I followed a five foot long turtle about 20 30 yards. We saw lots of turtles and they were surfacing as well. Afterwards, we met up with their dive boat and the marine biologists had a smaller turtle captured. They told us about the turtles, the PADI program and we even got to touch the fin (very gently) before we headed off again back to port.

Total time about 31/2 hours. $60pp. Not bad for virtually a private excursion. I liked feeling the safety factor of having the dive instructor with us. The PADI marine biologists are only on tuesdays but it was only about say 10 minutes of the total tour so if they are willing to take you snorkelling with the turtles the tour is still worth it.

I would strongly recommend this company as they did a great job looking after us "non divers" and showed us a great time.

Good safety factor, No loud music, no drinks (although we did have a catamaran throw us some beer on the way back - but that was very impromptu).:)

Email: info@divehightide.com

Archived