Metal Detector Question

RedSox5

In March, my boyfriend broke two bones in his leg, and had to have surgery to repair the breaks. He has 2 metal plates and 6 pins in his leg. When he asked his doctor for some sort of note or certificate for airport security, he was told that they "don't do that anymore for security reasons. Just show them your scar." (Not a very good answer if you ask me!) Maybe it's too easy to produce a fake note? I'm not sure! We are cruising in April and the last thing I would want is for him to be given a hard time at the airport or the pier due to setting off the metal detector. Does anyone know the facts? Is it true that they don't do this anymore? Should we anticipate any problems, and if so, what's the best solution? I appreciate your help.

I just had a spinal fusion 8 weeks ago. I travel often and asked my doctor about the titanium plate and screws setting off the security at the airport. He told me it wouldn't. I was very nervous the first time I went thru and to my relief nothing happened - he was right. So I say don't worry.

I broke my leg three years ago and have plates and pins. Flown 9 times since (which would be 18 times through security) and haven't set off a metal detector yet. Not very likely he will either. The worse that would happen is he would be taken aside to be wanded which only takes a few minutes and then you'd be on your way to your gate. Enjoy your cruise!:)

Even with a note from a doctor, he would still be taken aside if he set off the metal detector. The security would not take what the note said and let him walk thru, they need to use the wand. He just needs to explain what it is, they have had this before and the wand only takes a few minutes.

My husband has pins in one hip and more hardware in his back than one could ever imagine. He is now in a wheelchair so doesn't go through the regular security "doorway" anymore. Instead someone uses a hand held metal detector.

However, before he was in the wheelchair he went through regular security with no problems and no need for an explanation from us. He doesn't even set off the hand held detectors.

alll surgical screws and plates are non ferrous(neither iron nor steel). ie. they are titanium as described above. They don't set off the metal detectors at airports that look for magnetic fields or interrupt magnetic fields. I have three screws in my ankle for more than 20 years and have never set off a detector. You don't want a magnet dislodgng the plates or screws either(ouch)....they don't they are non magnetic too....

alll surgical screws and plates are non ferrous(neither iron nor steel). ie. they are titanium as described above. They don't set off the metal detectors at airports that look for magnetic fields or interrupt magnetic fields. I have three screws in my ankle for more than 20 years and have never set off a detector. You don't want a magnet dislodgng the plates or screws either(ouch)....they don't they are non magnetic too....

While your medical hardware will probably not set off the metal detector (I have quite a bit myself) if it does they will simply wand the suspect area and determine that the offending metal is within your skin-no worries.

As to the need for ferromagnetic properties of the hardware to be detected, it's simply not true. Any metal will to verying degrees interfere with or perturb the magnetic field present in the walk through detector, and I'm glad for it. Otherwise any weapon made of Titanium or copper or any number of non-foerromagnetic materials (metals) could easily be smuggled on to air liners-YIKES!!!!!

Ditto; I have medical hardware in my right leg & have never set off any of the metal detectors. Don't worry about it. Though I do have a business card of the surgeon, on which he wrote a brief note explaining the hardware in place - which I've never had to use.

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

Gee, I'm starting to feel like I'm the only one in the world without metal screws or plates in me... but I'm fine with it- let's keep it that way :D

You'r lucky. They can be a pain when the weather starts getting cold and rainey.

Archived